Too much salmon?

Options
I am new to mfp and I just found a new love for salmon. I am wondering if eating it 3 to 4 times a week is too much?
Thanks!

Replies

• mrimike
    mrimike Posts: 139
    Options
    I hope not! I still have a lot left in the freezer:)
  • scott1024
    scott1024 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    For me too much salmon is like too much money!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    No, that's not too much salmon. I love it too!
    Especially grilled and put on top of a salad..yummy!
  • colwellk
    colwellk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think you have to worry about mercury with Atlantic salmon (and farmed salmon) but with Pacific salmon you don't have to worry and can have it as often as you like.
  • Colombiana1
    Options
    Salmon is a very healthy option and offers many health benefits (including the Omegas that are great for your skin). Better to have excess of a healthy food option over one that is not as healthy, though variety in the diet is good for metabolism too.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Nope, not too much at all....

You'll know when you''re eating too much when you start having the urge to swim upstream and spawn. :)
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I'd say more than two 6oz servings a week of any type of fish is too much, simply because of the mercury levels.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I'd say more than two 6oz servings a week of any type of fish is too much, simply because of the mercury levels.
  • HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You can never have too much salmon.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I don't think salmon is one of the fish that should be limited due to mercury. Enjoy it! I agree with you--I could eat it at least 3 or 4 times a week if hubby could stand it! There are so many healthy ways to make it that it makes getting so tasty! Grilled, broiled, poached, even pan fried in just a little cooking spray. So many different herbs and seasonings to make it even better. Dang. Now I want salmon for dinner....
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options

If it's fresh-caught Alaskan (pacific) salmon, then that's not an issue.
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    they recommend you eat oily fish like salmon at least twice a week because it contains the right type of cholesterol HDLand therefore is good for your heart.
    Its the LDL cholesterol you have to cut down on so chomp away on your salmon its fine.
  • Cathleenr
    Options

^^ true story :D
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I found this post to be helpful in calming my concerns about fish and mercury: http://chriskresser.com/is-eating-fish-safe-a-lot-safer-than-not-eating-fish

Eat up!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

If it's fresh-caught Alaskan (pacific) salmon, then that's not an issue.

I think this is important...if you are eating farm-raised salmon, you really don't want to have too much because, like factory beef and poultry, it's got chemicals and antibiotics added. I highly recommend that you do your best to get wild salmon especially if you're eating a lot.

Aside from that caveat, go for it! It's very healthy & i wish I enjoyed it more.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    There is no danger of mercury poisoning in WILD CAUGHT Alaska Salmon. Don't get farm raised.
  • foodeeee
    foodeeee Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think it's perfectly fine!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    they recommend you eat oily fish like salmon at least twice a week because it contains the right type of cholesterol HDLand therefore is good for your heart.
    Its the LDL cholesterol you have to cut down on so chomp away on your salmon its fine.
    I agree with the recommendation as well, but just wanted to comment on the cholesterol. We don't consume HDL and LDL cholesterol, we just consume cholesterol. It's the livers job to make and re-manufacture our blood cholesterol and it does that by putting the cholesterol in capsules so that it can travel through the blood and do it's job. It's these capsules called lipoproteins that are our HDL and LDL. It's for this reason that the cholesterol we consume is neigher good or bad, it's just cholesterol and why consuming dietary cholesterol has little effect on our blood cholesterol. And this is also why the RDA for cholesterol makes no sense whatsoever and it actually can teach/promote poor eating habits.
  • FredAstair
    Options
    I agree....

I've never seen a cat suffer from mercury poisoning yet!
  • sunnybrunette126
    sunnybrunette126 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

^^ true story :D

I concur... yum!