white chocolate mocha junkie, help!

Options
One of my biggest weaknesses is, you guessed it, white chocolate mochas! I live in Washington state and its cold dark and wet and nothing sounds better than a hot cup of coffee on a crap-tastic day right :D Anyways, one of the biggest parts of my diet is to keep my sugar in take low, below 20g. This works extremely well for me ... until the coffee creeps in :grumble: I know there are plenty of sugar replacements out there, but i firmly believe in insulin resistance if you use zero calorie sweeteners. I dont HAVE to have the white chocolate mocha, if someone knows of a better alternative thats hot and yummy and makes my sun shine on this sunless state ^.^ Any suggestions?

Replies

• jen2607
    jen2607 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    in the refrigerated creamer aisle there is a "skinny " white mocha creamer for coffee. It's not zero in sugar but it isn't terrible. As far as sugar substitutes , I can't do anything other than stevia.. or I will get migraines and just feel really bad.
  • ariel3561
    ariel3561 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do love the white chocolate mocha's as a treat at Starbuck's every so often. Personally I just love black coffee. Once I tried it black I'm rarely tempted to get the fancy stuff. But I bet a plain hot cocoa would probably cut your calories in half from the white chocolate mocha's. Maybe something to look at.
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific recommendation, sorry! But I'm sure there's a tea out there that would satisfy the craving at a fraaaction of the calories+sugar. Maybe a bigger tea fan could help!
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I actually go to the gas station and make my own. I mix a little cocoa into a 24oz cup of coffee. Trick is to put some pre made cocoa on the bottom and some on top. Approximately 4 oz. It's really good and if you happen to find the right gas station their choices are phenomonal. Plus it's cheaper. Oh and it's lower in sugar. They also sell diet swiss miss no added sugar that is about 6g of sugar per packet or less I think.
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm also from Washington, and it's currently 4:30pm and dark outside, so I hear you. =) I used to be a mocha junkie too, until I got serious about what I was eating/drinking and made myself actually LOOK at the calorie count of my favorite drinks. Yikes. I switched to lattes instead of mochas, then eventually switched to flavored americanos -- just espresso, hot water, and flavor. I went from drinking a 350+ calorie drink to like, a 50-90 calorie drink. Huge difference. Unfortunately, most or all of the sugar comes from the flavoring, so I'm not sure how to help out there. Sorry. But a white chocolate americano once or twice a week certainly won't kill you, and it'll satisfy those cravings just the same, IMO.

Good luck! I also drink lots more tea than I used to. Steeping a bag of strong, black chai or earl grey in a mug of hot milk at the end of the day is heavenly and a good way to get a little extra protein. =)
  • daunna1013
    Options
    I'm also from Washington, and it's currently 4:30pm and dark outside, so I hear you. =)

Lol! isnt that so true! I think last week there was an entire day that i thought it was night >.< I love the flavored Americano suggestion! These are awesome guys thank you! By the way Erose market spice tea co makes this AWESOME tea cinnamon orange if your a tea person :) you can buy it at bartell
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I assume we're talking strictly Starbucks here...Skinny peppermint mocha is only 100 cal for a tall. Any of the teas are calorie free (unless you add sugar or milk). Non-fat caramel macchiato with no syrup is only about 100 cals (keep the syrup is 140, cut to one pump is 120). Non-fat green tea or chai latte is 150 cal. Non-fat cappucino is 50 cal. Skinny vanilla latte is 90.

These are all for "tall" drinks. Hope that helps!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Damn you northwesterners and your coffee addictions! Your addicitons are contagious, because now the whole damn country loves frou frou coffee drinks!

:smile:

I like to get the Cafe Misto at Sbux. It is simply coffee and milk. I don't think they put any sugar, sweeteners, or syrups in it. The first few sips are a little bitter, but after that, I start chugging it.

Sadly, I had some digestive problems last week and my doctor told me to lay off the coffee for awhile. I haven't had any in a week, and I almost fell asleep at work today. She said I can still have green tea, but somehow, it's not as much fun as coffee.