Does anyone have an Anytime Fitness membership?

Options
One just opened up less than a mile from my house and I like the idea of 24/7/365 access, however I'm leary of the price. I've had gym memberships before and I want to make sure it's worth it. So...

Do you have a membership? Is it worth the price? Do you have any problems with the membership, gym, staff, equipment, etc.?

Thanks in advance! =)

Replies

• digitaldigital
    digitaldigital Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You can usually haggle on prices.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I have belonged to my local Anytime Fitness for 2 1/2 years. Qualifying my opinion - I live in a fairly small town in SD and don't have to deal too much with Gym Rats at this particular facility on a regular basis. I get my money's worth, but joined with 18 mo membership on a corporate discount. The employees are friendly and helpful, the facility is clean and neat and I LOVE the 24 hour access. It is in a relatively safe well lit area.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I have a membership!! In Aus... but I'm assuming it's the same worldwide as I can literally go to any Anytime in the world and work out.

I got a pretty good deal as they were running a special -and everyone I've referred there has been able to haggle a little on price.

I love that I can go there any time of the day or night, and the one near me isn't too busy so I'm almost always guaranteed a hassle-free workout. The trainers there are nice - I booked a couple of PT sessions at the start and now they all say hi and are willing to help out if I have questions.

I would (and have!) recommend them to everyone.

The only downside is that there isn't any classes.. so you're pretty alone. I've just started Bikram twice a week to get my fix of classes though.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I go to a "club 24" and it's open 24hrs mon-thurs and then until 7 on fri and 9 on saturday and sunday. I think. I always mix up the weekend hours. Anyways they're only $10 a month for the basic package.
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Definitely haggle on the price. Find out the price of your local community center and say, "maybe I'll just go there." They won't be able to go as low as them (they are, after all, a community center -- and they're not going to be open 24/7).

That said, I belong to AF, and I really like it. I got a special deal on the price b/c my previous gym closed and they offered up the chance to pay the same price as I had been paying if we transferred over to AF. So, I pay about $5/mo less than other members, plus I don't have to pay anything extra to take classes.

I really like the AF I go to, it's small enough that I can easily get to know the other people at the gym and never feel like a "stranger." It's big enough that I never have to worry about all the machines being taken (although sometimes finding a place to stretch can sometimes be a struggle). I love that my local one is really involved in the community, and the owner is there almost every day and really gets to know all the members. So, I get the benefit of the "locally-owned, locally-supportive" gym, and also the benefit of being able to go to any AF in the country when I'm travelling.

That said, the owner of my gym has a brother who owns another AF across town. That AF is really different. The owner, and most of the members, are really, really into power lifting and that sort of thing. So, going in there, the whole "group mentality" just seems different. Plus, they don't have any classes over there.

So, I'd say, go in, take a tour, see if you like the owner/manager and/or atmosphere of the gym. If you feel comfortable there, then I think it's definitely worth it. It's more expensive than 24 Hr. Fitness or LA Fitness, but SIGNIFICANTLY less like a meat market (at least than all of the ones out by me).
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    I love my AF but there aren't a lot of amenities, which is okay by me. Weight machines, cardio equipment and then free weights and other equipment for power lifters.

Sometimes I get jealous of the big gyms where they have pools and classes but with AF I get very personal help from the owner. It's great if you're just really interested in working out.

It's also nice that I can go late at night and feel safe. It's kind of nice having a gym to yourself.
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    Wow mine is significantly less than LA Fitness.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    One just opened up less than a mile from my house and I like the idea of 24/7/365 access, however I'm leary of the price. I've had gym memberships before and I want to make sure it's worth it. So...

Do you have a membership? Is it worth the price? Do you have any problems with the membership, gym, staff, equipment, etc.?

Thanks in advance! =)
    I do and pay $54 a month for my wife and I. Why do I have it if I work at 2 gyms? Because gyms still close at 10pm and there have been times that I want to just hit the gym. With Anytime I can go Anytime. Also it's only a mile and 3/4 from my house so I could walk there, workout, then jog back.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I wish we had it here in the Netherlands. My gym is only open from 7 am - 11 pm and on the weekend from 8 am to 8 pm. It sucks! And it costs 85 euros per month (close to 100 dollars!)
  • gurlondrums
    Options
    Thanks for the info, guys. It is much apprechiated. =)