THE FAT GIRL!

Options
On our journey I think we fail to realize, that we need to prepare the mind to follow the body. For years at my goal weight, I still thought of myself, as my dad called it, The Fat Girl. No matter what I did to lose or to be happy with my body my mind didn't agree.

Do as much for your well being, mentally, as you do for your well being physically.

This is the lesson I learned the hard way!

Replies

• Portugueselove
    Portugueselove Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My dad called me his baby cow.
  • luvinit
    luvinit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thanks
  • bs1981
    bs1981 Posts: 36
    Options
    Awesome advice.... no reason to think or feel that way!
  • kya101
    kya101 Posts: 37
    Options
    I think you are totally right and believe I need years of therapy to be happy with myself after being "miss piggy" for years : /
  • george_ie_girl
    george_ie_girl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Easier said than done! Only recently has my mind caught up to where my body is - my older sister has lost more weight than me but cannot fathom wearing smaller clothes - even when she fits into a size 12 or 14 she refuses to wear it because she doesn't want to be one of those "fat chicks in tight clothes" - very frustrating, because she looks amazing! It's all in the mind though - and it's harder than it seems to change that!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I was never considered THE FAT GIRL, but often thought of myself as THE FAT GUY, I still think of myself as THE FAT GUY, but has glimpses at certain angles in the mirror, where I feel thin. My family and friends never really called me anything demeaning but have voiced concerns about my weight. The funny thing is now they think I am getting too thin, where I feel I need to lose about 20 more lbs. It's funny how things change, but I am nervous that I won't know when to stop, so I began a couple of months ago working with a personal trainer who has become a very good friend and he has helped me realize that I am in good shape, my cardio is actually better than his. However he is in totally better shape overall, 6 pack abs and all, where I still got a bit of a pouch of loose skin.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    On our journey I think we fail to realize, that we need to prepare the mind to follow the body. For years at my goal weight, I still thought of myself, as my dad called it, The Fat Girl. No matter what I did to lose or to be happy with my body my mind didn't agree.

Do as much for your well being, mentally, as you do for your well being physically.

This is the lesson I learned the hard way!

Holy moly. I know it's a mind thing but you are smokin'! Great job!
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    As contradictory as this may sound, part of my problem stems from the same mental obstacles...

Growing up MISS BONES I have the same warped mentality...only I can't completely identify with my over-weight body, and therefore refuse to see what's actually the truth, unless I'm reading the doctor's report.

You are absolutely correct....mind along with body.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    You're really sexy!
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Wow-- I'm vger, I think. I hesitated to write this because of how it might sound. But I was skinny growing up, and tall. If I accidentally skipped a meal, I lost weight. Therefore, I had to be careful to eat regularly to not lose weight. People called my hipbones "flagpoles" when I sunbathed.

Flash forward. Because of a bad illness (and resultant months of "couch rest"), I'm now quite a bit overweight. I need to lose 50 lb. When I catch a glimpse of myself in a store window, I'm shocked at how I look. When I see myself in the mirror in the morning I think I look fine, but it's distorted, much the way formerly heavy people still see themselves as heavy after they lose the weight.

The psychology of weight and body perception is fascinating, really. And sometimes we are our own worst enemies.
  • TahliS
    TahliS Posts: 52
    Options
    I am like cygnetpro. I grew up as the skinny girl also, heavily into gymnastics and running. My gymnastics couch used to make me push my belly out because my ribs pertruded "too much". As an adult ive watched the numbers click up on the scales but I have never really seen myself for what i really like until several weeks ago. My mind had fooled for me for a great many years into thinking I was skinnier than I was, that even tho the scales blah blah you're a fatty thats not what i saw. My wake up call was in Target trying on a pair of black pants.. i picked up an Aus 16 expecting them to be a little loose when to my sudden shock they were far to small. I then saw the full reflection in the surrounding mirrors and litrally thought omg how and when did this happen... which yes, does sound rather silly. Anyway, what id like to add (apart from my little life story) is that we all only get 1 body.. LOVE it and take care of it.. it is the only one we are going to get.
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Wow it is truly an mind blowing to hear everyone, understand. And yes it goes both ways thin or heavy, either struggling to gain or lose. I didn't realize this till recently that its just as insulting to be called to skinny as to be called to fat:( It is harder done than said, I've been struggling with it for over 10years.

I continue to up through today, but it has gotten better, I think it comes from realizing we will can never please everyone. We have to please ourselves and do what's best for us.

My dad didn't do it right, but gosh darn it if it wasn't for him I would be who I am today. The best thing I can do is learn from his mistake, ya know??

Whatever doesn't kill u, makes u, us stronger!!

Amen!!