My fat notes :]

Options
Bad fats: Canola oil,hydrogenated oils,margarine and substitute butters.

Good fats that burn fat: Real butter,whole eggs,raw nuts,avocados,olive oil,coconut oil c;

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

Good fats that burn fat: Real butter,whole eggs,raw nuts,avocados,olive oil,coconut oil c;

any supporting document on canola oil being bad and olive oil being good? My research told me tha oilve oil has more saturated fat content than canola. It's only "healthier" if comparing with butter and other animal fats...

Beg to be proved wrong...
  • Chelseazavala
    Options

any supporting document on canola oil being bad and olive oil being good? My research told me tha oilve oil has more saturated fat content than canola. It's only "healthier" if comparing with butter and other animal fats...

Beg to be proved wrong...
    It was from a video but I didn't research it yet.

Thats why it's in my notes.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If you haven't done the research yet to verify this information, you probably shouldn't post it on the forum yet.

Butter has more saturated than unsaturated fat, so I don't understand why that would be a good one. Maybe if you are comparing it to margarine? No, margarine has less saturated fat.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I think you confused your notes with the forum.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Your right on all counts.
  • Jorra
    Options

Prove it.
  • dwallior3326
    Options
    I'm currently reading "Winning By Losing" by Jillian Michaels and this is what I can tell you...from the book...

GOOD FATS:
    Monounsaturated fats== Olive oil, canola oil, nuts (raw, never roasted), avocados
    Omega-3 which is a polyunsaturated fat== salmon, flaxseed, walnuts, almonds
    Recently "accepted" as having health benefits are some saturated fats found in meat, dairy, and other animal products

BAD FATS:
    Bad fats are typically "man-made" fats are produced by hydrogenation of oil.
    Examples are: Margarine, chips, cookies, even some salad dressings...think packaged.
    Avoid anything that involves hydrogenation or even partial hydrogenation.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    If you haven't done the research yet to verify this information, you probably shouldn't post it on the forum yet.

Butter has more saturated than unsaturated fat, so I don't understand why that would be a good one. Maybe if you are comparing it to margarine? No, margarine has less saturated fat.

I'd rather have butter and lard over hydrogenated oils and margarine any day.
    Saturated fat is not "bad" fat.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Prove it.
    Prove what exactly, be specific and please back up your argument with some facts, not just your opinion.
  • Jorra
    Options

Prove it.
    Prove what exactly, be specific and please back up your argument with some facts, not just your opinion.

I was just stating that I didn't understand why certain ones would be considered good.

If you could prove how "your right on all counts," that would be great.
  • Jorra
    Options

I'd rather have butter and lard over hydrogenated oils and margarine any day.
    Saturated fat is not "bad" fat.

Oh definitely, the notes just aren't clear about what makes these fats good or bad. I don't know what their basis for evaluation is.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Prove it.

I was just stating that I didn't understand why certain ones would be considered good.

If you could prove how "your right on all counts," that would be great.
    I was agreeing with her assessment. You on the other hand said she was wrong, so a reason would be good, and saying margarine has less saturated fat is not a good platform to preach from. Are you saying hydrogenated veg oil is better? that coconut oil being 92% saturated fat is death in a nice looking nutshell. j/k.
  • Jorra
    Options
    I was agreeing with her assessment. You on the other hand said she was wrong, so a reason would be good, and saying margarine has less saturated fat is not a good platform to preach from. Are you saying hydrogenated veg oil is better? that coconut oil being 92% saturated fat is death in a nice looking nutshell.

I wasn't saying margarine was better, I was just trying to figure out the basis for evaluation of this list.

If you could prove why these fat sources are categorized the way they are, I think it would be beneficial to all of us, including the OP.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    Anything in moderation..
  • Jorra
    Options
    Anything in moderation..

This. I like this.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I was agreeing with her assessment. You on the other hand said she was wrong, so a reason would be good, and saying margarine has less saturated fat is not a good platform to preach from. Are you saying hydrogenated veg oil is better? that coconut oil being 92% saturated fat is death in a nice looking nutshell.

I wasn't saying margarine was better, I was just trying to figure out the basis for evaluation of this list.

If you could prove why these fat sources are categorized the way they are, I think it would be beneficial to all of us, including the OP.
    The easy answer is their natural, but it's a very complicated subject with mucho research and grant money to maintain the status quo.

If you or anyone has a specific question I'd be happy to give a reasonable explanation based on my understanding, which is again based on my own research over the last 5 years, which is also based in science, and not necessarily the first page of google. lol.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I don't think its complicated research, lol the way I look at it.. If it was taught in my first year bio class it's as basic as it gets ;)
  • Jorra
    Options
    The easy answer is their natural, but it's a very complicated subject with mucho research and grant money to maintain the status quo.

If you or anyone has a specific question I'd be happy to give a reasonable explanation based on my understanding, which is again based on my own research over the last 5 years, which is also based in science, and not necessarily the first page of google. lol.

I like answers that are based in real scientific research. I don't have any real specific questions though, I was just picking on the OP for posting completely un-researched facts out of any kind of context.
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I'm interested in the basis for the classification of fats into "good" and "bad". Can we have a definition for "good" and "bad" please, with a reference or 2 that I can have a look at. Thanks.
  • Jorra
    Options
    I don't think its complicated research, lol the way I look at it.. If it was taught in my first year bio class it's as basic as it gets ;)

I think human physiology is very complicated and highly funded research.