SAY NO TO MAC AND CHEESE!!!

Options
Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. It's the stuff most of us grew up on and think of as the standard in mac 'n cheese. But now that you've grown up a little (we hope), you no longer think 2 Twinkies and a Cherry Coke would make the best breakfast ever (and even if you do, you know better!). Same goes for this silly macaroni. What's the point of eating pasta with super-fattening cheese sauce made with butter? You really don't get much out of the basic Kraft Macaroni & Cheese except lotsa carbs, calories, and fat. Heck, before you mix anything in to make the sauce, you're already at 260 calories a serving. By the time you're done, you're up to over 400 calories and nearly 20g fat! AAAAACK! Not to mention a pathetic 1g fiber. We're using our good sense AND our sense of good taste to steer us in a new direction. We'll miss you, Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, but we're moving on...

Serving Size: 1 serving (about 1/3rd of the package), prepared according to standard box instructions
Calories: 410
Fat: 19g
Sodium: 710mg
Carbs: 49g
Fiber: 1g
Sugars: 7g
Protein: 10g

Replies

• tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. It's the stuff most of us grew up on and think of as the standard in mac 'n cheese. But now that you've grown up a little (we hope), you no longer think 2 Twinkies and a Cherry Coke would make the best breakfast ever (and even if you do, you know better!). Same goes for this silly macaroni. What's the point of eating pasta with super-fattening cheese sauce made with butter? You really don't get much out of the basic Kraft Macaroni & Cheese except lotsa carbs, calories, and fat. Heck, before you mix anything in to make the sauce, you're already at 260 calories a serving. By the time you're done, you're up to over 400 calories and nearly 20g fat! AAAAACK! Not to mention a pathetic 1g fiber. We're using our good sense AND our sense of good taste to steer us in a new direction. We'll miss you, Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, but we're moving on...

Serving Size: 1 serving (about 1/3rd of the package), prepared according to standard box instructions
    Calories: 410
    Fat: 19g
    Sodium: 710mg
    Carbs: 49g
    Fiber: 1g
    Sugars: 7g
    Protein: 10g
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    when i crave it i have 3 teaspoons ...i cant afford to eat more LOL:glasses:
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    i never liked it anyways... =P
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    LOL you are right! I never really crave it....but if there ever is a time when it sounds good, I get the smart ones mac n cheese. At least then I can eat the whole thing and not have to worry about eating too much! hehe:smile:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I only eat baked macaroni and cheese. One serving has about 230 calories. You use macaroni noodles, real cheese, carnation milk and egg. It quite good.
  • joeysmuse
    joeysmuse Posts: 87
    Options
    uuugggmmmmmmh Mac & Cheese!!!! I miss you old friend. But I am healthier than I ever was with you! :laugh:
  • snoozen29
    snoozen29 Posts: 33
    Options
    A really good thing to try is no yolk noodles and McCormick's powdered cheese sauce. Both low in calories.

I normally like to spice that up a bit by adding some ground chicken, salsa and some taco seasoning and make a mexican mac and cheese
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    My friend emailed me a picture of a Mac n Cheese pizza he was eating yesterday. Ugh.
  • Violet_Mist
    Options
    We have it for dinner at home, but I eat it in small portions. I'm not eating it anymore, though. It REALLY increases my calories and takes away my evening snack..:grumble:
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    I can't deny my kids the right to mac and cheese :laugh: But, I make my own and have found a fabulous trick. I use about 2 oz of cheddar cheese, 2oz of low fat velveeta and 1 cup of cottage cheese. Blend the cottage cheese in a blender or food processor until it is about the consistency of sour cream. I use this in place of any cheese that is called for in a traditional recipe. It makes it really creamy and yummy. Of course, we still only get it on my super-dooper workout days:happy:
  • fullofjoy720
    Options
    :tongue:
  • monteig
    monteig Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the whole box by myself for dinner!

I would start out with a "normal" serving and then either have another huge serving or walk by the pot on the stove 15 times until I had finished it!

(And I could do the same thing with Rice a Roni...)

Now I just don't buy it so I can avoid it without any problems. For me, I'd rather use my pasta cravings for something that tastes better!
  • joeysmuse
    joeysmuse Posts: 87
    Options
    I can't deny my kids the right to mac and cheese :laugh: But, I make my own and have found a fabulous trick. I use about 2 oz of cheddar cheese, 2oz of low fat velveeta and 1 cup of cottage cheese. Blend the cottage cheese in a blender or food processor until it is about the consistency of sour cream. I use this in place of any cheese that is called for in a traditional recipe. It makes it really creamy and yummy. Of course, we still only get it on my super-dooper workout days:happy:

Wow that's a really good idea with the cottage cheese. it's loaded with protien too! Has anyone thought about doing that with Laughing cow cheese. I have always loved cheese and, since changing my eating habits, haven't been able to indulge. The individual wedges are a GREAT snack. :happy: I am going to try adding them to cooked ground turkey with bell peppers and onions on whole wheat tortillas for hubby and son, and without tortillas for me. I will let yall know how it was. Maybe i'll add some cottage cheese to make it feel like there's more cheese.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i just pulled a box of it out of the cupboard and it says it is only 240 cal per serving, 2 grams of fat7 grams of protein
  • snoozen29
    snoozen29 Posts: 33
    Options
    I just found a laughing cow recipe for mac and cheese

2 egg whites and 1 egg
    6 wedges of lauging cow
    salt and pepper

MELT and pour on noodles

I also add some light parm cheese and let it melt as well as a touch of milk to make it more creamy.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    but i love the processed mac and cheese :sad: :cry: lol i think i had it for dinner 5 out of 7 days of the week when i was a kid :laugh: :laugh: my poor dad had no idea how to cook...and it's best with little yellow hot peppers...i think they're called Mexican hot peppers...oh boy now im drooling
  • sbartlett0421
    Options
    I :heart: Mac and Cheese!!!
    I found a recipe in a light and easy cookbook that called for ff sour cream and ff cottage cheese. I made it the other night and DH said it was the best mac and cheese he's ever had. I'll look up the recipe and post later if anyone wants it.
  • sheofthesea
    sheofthesea Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the whole box by myself for dinner!

I would start out with a "normal" serving and then either have another huge serving or walk by the pot on the stove 15 times until I had finished it!

(And I could do the same thing with Rice a Roni...)

Now I just don't buy it so I can avoid it without any problems. For me, I'd rather use my pasta cravings for something that tastes better!

Oh, my gosh...that was me! Then, as I got older, I discovered that boxed mac'n'cheese makes me exhausted, as in, I have to go to sleep about a half hour after I eat it. I took that as a sign that my body couldn't deal with it and I've nearly stopped eating it.

I either just don't have any, I'll make good macaroni and cheeese, or I eat just a spoonful.

But gosh, it is yummy.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    We had it often too growing up. My favorite was mac n cheese with lil' smokies sausages. Yummy!! Unfortunately one semester I went retro--I hadn't had the stuff in years. I went on the mac n cheese, bagel n cheese, chai latte diet and gained 17 lbs!!! :grumble: :grumble:
    Needless to say, I don't buy it anymore.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    We never had it growing up but I loved it when I got older. I still keep it around because my bf likes it but I make it with 2tbls of fat free cream cheese instead of butter and non-fat milk. It is (slightly) healthier. I just make sure on the rare occasions when we have it, I only have one serving.