Best way to lose weight?

Options
hi, im wondering how many calories i should have in the green at the end of the day? im trying to lose 45 pounds (or more) by june as im going on a cruise with my aunt and would like to be able to buy some cloths wail im away. (alot of places dont carry over size 16) anything anyone can tell me for advice would help! (though i cant do running or anything to strenuous with my lungs as i have COPD) things i have been doing is dancing, walking and biking as long as swimming, but the whole left over calorie thing at the end of the day is confusing me.

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You should get as close to your target as possible. If you're somewhere around 50 over or 50 under, that's fantastic. If you're around 200 over or 200 under, that's not so great.
  • TriggerStorm1309
    TriggerStorm1309 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    someone told me to leave 500 left over in the green, so i shouldnt do that?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    The more accurately you log food/exercise, the nearer you target your should be. Remember it's a target, not a limit.

I personally make sure i leave a couple of hundreds cals left to account for any mislogs.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    people have had great success with zig-zag diets but if i were you i'd keep the swing to a minimum. if you eat 100 under one day then be sure to eat 50-100 more the next day. failing that, as previously mentioned just keep as close to the allowance as possible.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

No. You want "0 calories remaining". But like I said, 50 (or even 100) in the green or in the red is ok.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Hell no. The deficit is already built in. If you leave it at 0 left, 0 over, you should lose exactly what you told it you wanted to lose when you signed up.
  • jvan1957
    jvan1957 Posts: 114
    Options
    Remember: MFP already subtracted that 500 per each 1# a week weight loss.
  • TriggerStorm1309
    Options
    can you guys check my diary and let me know, i believe i have been doing it wrong then.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more (about 550 to 600 calories) to get that diary closer to zero...nuts, yogurt, low fat cheese, peanut butter, a protein shake, something...
  • TriggerStorm1309
    Options
    i count everything in my diary, i dont wanna cheat myself..... how do you get the ticker to show up with your posts?
  • zephyr0318
    zephyr0318 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey there - I took a look at your diary and the one thing that I would recommend is to take a look again at your exercise calories as they look pretty high. Using a calorie calculator I found on the internet, I looked up how many calories you'd burn in the following scenario - someone walking a 20 minute mile for 1 hour (3 miles) would expend about 370 calories if he or she weighed 244 lbs.

I have noticed that most people recommend that you eat your exercise calories, and if that's the case, you need to make sure that what you're tracking with your exercise is correct so that you're not consuming too many calories each day.

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit.