How to deal with stress and weight loss? help needed please!

Options
My gram passed away on Monday. And its been very stressful. My energy levels have been down. I'm feeling frustrated and angry. ( Lots of drama) Im falling off track with my diet. And I can only get through have my workouts. I jus feel beat. Im tempted to order pizza and wings and jus watch a movie like i would usually do when I wana feel happy.

So please any good comfort foods that won't reek havoc on my diet. I don't wana give up on myself. But I feel like giving in. I jus need some support please.

Thank you!

Replies

• riaketty
    riaketty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your gram. :(

Would a single pizza and wings hurt? Or would you want to do it again and again?

I see no problem with one instance. Especially if you control quantity.

Lots of virtual hugs to you through this rough time!
  • Healthy_Shelley
    Healthy_Shelley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    baked sweet potato, vegetable or chicken soup, or a Kashi pizza do it for me when I need some healthy comfort food. I'm sorry for your loss, hang in there!
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    This is an opportunity to use some of the knowledge you've gained while using MFP's, using food as a comfort is what we are all trying to change about outselves. I definitely understand your pain and I'm sorry for your loss but instead of leaning to food for comfort find something else to release that stress. Maybe a good walk might help or calling and talking to a good friend.
  • obroadhead
    Options
    SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR GRAM. BUT HANG IN THERE THE STRESS WILL PASS. REMEMBER WHAT YOU DID TO LOSE ALL THIS WEIGHT ALL YOUR FRIENDS OM MY FITNESS ARE THERE FOR YOU
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your grandmother. My guess would be that she would not want you to fall off the wagon over her. I know I wouldn't!

For comfort food, what I like (and indulge in sometimes) is about 2/3 cup of instant mashed potatoes with a pat of butter (not a huge one!) on top. And a similar amount of canned corn (again, with a bit of butter). I dip the mashed potatoes in the corn. Heaven! I even have my kids hooked.

I view it as a treat, and "budget" for it. I hope this (or some other comforting yumminess) helps, but does not derail you from your goals. Take care of yourself! :-)
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    When my mother was dying, I was writing down what I ate and adding up the calories. (We didn't have the technology we have now.) I now regret that and think how selfish that was and how unfair to her and to me. Go through your grief in any way you need to but don't fall for the obsession I did. You'll regret it and in years to come, you'll likely still need to lose a few pounds from time to time. Life isn't fair.
  • mmhenry28
    mmhenry28 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Working out is the one thing that makes me feel better. Food does for a few seconds, but a massive run, punching a punching bag or screaming at it if necessary take a lot more of the stress away.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I agree with 247diva and I'm terribly sorry for your loss. Though this is a tough and stressful time for you, try to use it as a time to learn from the past and make better choices for yourself. Most of us know what it's like to want to turn to food for comfort, but now's as good a time as any to break the cycle. I LOVE Kashi pizza (it's healthy you know what's in it, and it's DELICIOUS!!) and it's a great alternative if you want some yummy pizza but you don't want to ruin your diet. Reach out to a friend and let someone in your life know how your feeling. Cry all you need to, girl. And after doing that, if you still want the pizza, the frozen aisle at Walmart where the Kashi pizza are awaits you :) Good luck, hun, you can do it.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I feel your pain - my Mum died a few months ago and it's been a roller coaster. Grief affects the whole body, mind and spirit so don't be surprised if you get all sorts of physical effects.

I was utterly exhausted for a month or so afterwards - was as much as I could do to sit at my desk at work for 6ish hours a day, then the exhaustion lifted. And psychologically, stuff (like my job) seemed completely pointless. And yes, we've had plenty of drama about her estate, that's still ongoing... oh joy...

I'd encourage you to look up some resources about grief and how to handle it, for example: http://psychcentral.com/resources/Grief_and_Loss/ . and seek support wherever you can find it. Reach out to people, explain how you'd like to be treated (cos they might not know, might feel awkward etc).

Look after yourself the best you can, physically, emotionally and spiritually but I'd say cut yourself some slack too for a wee bit. Remember this too will pass...

Best wishes,
    EJ
  • jdrzal
    jdrzal Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you. The support really helps. Its nice to know Im not alone. The comments brought me to tears. Thankyou! It feels amazing to have people who you never met give you words of encouragement. This means so much to me. The past couple of years of hve been rough. And thats why I gained the weight. The fear of falling back into bad habits is what is scaring.

You guys are the best. So thank you again.
    My plan is to do some tae bo and get myself a pizza. :) I have learned control. And with the support of MFP, it doesnt seem that hard anymore.
  • jdrzal
    jdrzal Posts: 21
    Options
    I agree with 247diva and I'm terribly sorry for your loss. Though this is a tough and stressful time for you, try to use it as a time to learn from the past and make better choices for yourself. Most of us know what it's like to want to turn to food for comfort, but now's as good a time as any to break the cycle. I LOVE Kashi pizza (it's healthy you know what's in it, and it's DELICIOUS!!) and it's a great alternative if you want some yummy pizza but you don't want to ruin your diet. Reach out to a friend and let someone in your life know how your feeling. Cry all you need to, girl. And after doing that, if you still want the pizza, the frozen aisle at Walmart where the Kashi pizza are awaits you :) Good luck, hun, you can do it.

I am going to try Kashi! I never had it before. & I think it'll be a great alternative from the greasy pizzeria pizza. Thank you. ;)