burgers on george foreman- how do u figure the calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    You'll have to do some math if you're that gung-ho about accounting for the calories you've saved by grilling. I would think you could get a fair estimate with a little weighing and the knowledge that 1 g of fat is about 9 cal.

This is what I was going to suggest too. If the OP really NEEDS to know. Personally, I'd just use the nutrition information on the package.

If you ate a twinkie five days in a row and recorded it as such in your journal and then you ate a twinkie on the sixth day after you first removed all the delicious filling from the middle, would you still record it in your journal the same way as you did the previous days? Would you totally ignore that you removed a huge portion of the calories from it before eating it?
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I think you're putting too much thought and worry into this.

Yes, you're cooking off some fat, but wouldn't you rather include that fat in your log by recording the uncooked weigh instead of possibly overestimating the amount of fat lost? Realistically, it's probably a pretty small number, as you are also losing come meat solids and moisture into the drain pan. If you go off of uncooked weight, then you can easily log the meat regardless of how it is cooked.

If you want to get obsessive, separate the fat and weigh it on a digital kitchen scale. I believe fat is 9 calories per gram.
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    wouldn't you rather include that fat in your log by recording the uncooked weigh instead of possibly overestimating the amount of fat lost?

Those are the only two options? How about a third option:

Try to get it right.
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    wouldn't you rather include that fat in your log by recording the uncooked weigh instead of possibly overestimating the amount of fat lost?

Those are the only two options? How about a third option:

Try to get it right.

You asked a question and people are trying to help. No need to be so snarky about it. Good grief.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    For trying to get help with an issue you are having, you sure are quite rude to people.

You have gotten multiple solutions from multiple people trying to help you out, yet you poopooed every single one of them.

If you're worried about the slight amount of calories you could save from the fat, you'll have to weigh a raw burger, cook it, then weigh the fat that you have left over and subtract the amount of calories from the weight of that fat from the caloric weight of the raw burger. And you'll have to do it for each individual burger, because even though you cook it on the same grill and make them the same weight/size, they could still give you differing fat release. Did you season the burger? Because you'll have to count those calories also.

As for your twinkie comment, yep, I'd log it the same way, cream or no cream. Because if I exercise, even with a heart rate monitor the calorie burn can still be off.
  • kawinter
    Options
    "Try to get it right."

I do get where you're coming from, honest. Error control in any experiment or procedure is an important thing to think about.

The thing is, no matter what you do there will be some error. You can carefully weigh the burger and then *assume* that the % fat measurements are accurate. This is as far as most of us will go. There is some error that creeps in here, no doubt.

Ala skylark94, you could make a sample burger, weighed very carefully, then collect everything that cooks out of the burger, maybe strain it to get out any meat pieces that come out too. Then heat the fluid again past boiling to get rid of all the water. Then you assume (probably reasonable) that most of the remaining fluid is fat. Use a conversion from weight to calories to determine how many calories you saved. To reduce the error further, subtract the calories represented by the little bits you strained out of the liquid.

Armed with this info, you could assume that the next burger you make will be similar. Or, you could say, no, there is error there and keep performing the same actions (as outlined above) every time you make a burger.

But you will still have error, guaranteed. There are errors on the package about % fat, burger packed a little differently so it holds more or less fat in, variations in moisture content of the burger, variations in nutritional and caloric content of the meat. The heart of this question is, what % error are you willing to tolerate and how does that jibe with the fact that you probably don't have time to do a full scientific analysis of everything you eat at every meal.

What most of the respondents are saying, in essence, is that the error you are eliminating probably isn't really worth worrying about. But if precise accuracy is your goal, power to you, but even with the steps I've outlined above, you will not be 100% accurate no matter how hard you "try to get it right."

So, you have error here despite your best efforts, though no doubt you could decrease it. But even then, how do you decide how many calories you really burned in a day? How much of your old food is sitting in your colon today as opposed to yesterday, affecting not only your weight but energy expended moving around? How about salt and water retention effects? Error here, error there, error everywhere!

Here's how I "try to get it right": I prefer to think that errors end up cutting both ways and figure it all is a wash over time. Now, if 90% of your calories come off of the GFG, I'd say you still have bigger problems than the (presumably) over-reporting of calories, but your mileage may vary. If you think it makes sense to do some of the steps above to get an extra half-carrot after dinner because you used the GFC, power to you.

Ultimately, it looks like you've dropped 52 pounds (and I'm guessing have also had a significant %body fat reduction)! Isn't that the ultimate measuring stick?

Then again, if you quit worrying about all this (what I would say is) little stuff, you might burn less calories. ;-)
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    For trying to get help with an issue you are having, you sure are quite rude to people.

I also find it rude when someone asks a specific question and people feel the need to ignore it and hyjack the conversation into something different. If I am getting ready to go outside and ask if it is raining, I don't want someone to avoid the question and tell me that if I am concerned about rain, I should move to Vegas.
    You have gotten multiple solutions from multiple people trying to help you out, yet you poopooed every single one of them.

I have not poopooed anyone who actually tried to answer the question I asked, rather than trying to tell me I shouldnt be viewing the subject the way I do.

As for your twinkie comment, yep, I'd log it the same way, cream or no cream. Because if I exercise, even with a heart rate monitor the calorie burn can still be off.

Your logic here baffles me. Your heart rate monitor could be off on the days when you eat the entire thing as well.

Yes, I do add calories when I season things. Yes, I do add calories for things like ketchup. I feel very confident that my numbers are accurate, or at least consistent, which is more important to me. If I am getting good results for what I record as 1400 but is actually 1600, then I want to repeat that day after day. You cant do that if you record something the same two different times when it clearly is not the same.

This whole thing reminds me of a co-worker who used to go to subway, order "double the meat" on a sub and then record it in her journal with the calories subway listed for a regular sub, as if the doubled meat didnt add any calories to the sandwich.

Like many of you, she preferred to accept what was easy and go by the label, even though her actions clearly altered the advertised amount.
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options

Ala skylark94, you could make a sample burger, weighed very carefully, then collect everything that cooks out of the burger, maybe strain it to get out any meat pieces that come out too. Then heat the fluid again past boiling to get rid of all the water. Then you assume (probably reasonable) that most of the remaining fluid is fat. Use a conversion from weight to calories to determine how many calories you saved. To reduce the error further, subtract the calories represented by the little bits you strained out of the liquid.

I'm actually going to try something like this. I am going to weigh the burger before and after. I will assume that a lot of what comes out is water and not credit myself with reducing all the weight in fat. Let's say the patty goes from .25 lbs to .20 lbs. If I begin with .25 of 80/20 meat, I will record it as .20 of 85/15 meat and see where that comes out.

I will then collect all the gooey fat, weigh it, apply the 9 calories per gram formula and see how close the two numbers are. If they are close, I will go with that number from now on.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options

Your logic here baffles me. Your heart rate monitor could be off on the days when you eat the entire thing as well.

Why, in your opinion, would it be wrong to log the non cream filled twinkie as a regular twinkie? Putting in 20 extra (or so) calories on the high side than try to get down to the exact number and then find out all along you were probably wrong? Seems foolish if you ask me.

Consuming & burning calories is NOT an exact science. Never has been, never will be. All you can do is "get close" and do your best.

As for my HRM statement, I never said it would be accurate on the day I ate the whole twinkie vs part of it, because again, not an exact science.

I also don't put a piece of sugar free chewing gum in my journal because you burn off the 5 calories just chewing it. Are you going to frown on people for that too?

As for your co-worker, that's a completely different thing all together, do not assume that all of us are like that because we don't want to log right down to the last fat gram or stick of gum.
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options

Why, in your opinion, would it be wrong to log the non cream filled twinkie as a regular twinkie? Putting in 20 extra (or so) calories on the high side than try to get down to the exact number and then find out all along you were probably wrong? Seems foolish if you ask me.

Yes, it is foolish to omit food that you dont actually eat. What was I thinking
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    This could be interpreted as an eating disorder, and I'm not saying you have one. It just has all the ear marks.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    threads like this are so frustrating and found all over the wide, wide world of the interweb.

Question - How do I calculate the reduction in calories when I prepare my food X way?

Answer - I am going to totally ignore what you are asking and instead tell you something else.

This was never my intent. My summary is that since I don't know, I just buy leaner meat and keep the original nutritional data. There is no "right" answer unless you go totally scientific and have a nutritional analysis done on your end product. The downside of forums (the reality of a forum) is that most of what you get is gonna be based on the experience of the person replying.
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    This could be interpreted as an eating disorder, and I'm not saying you have one. It just has all the ear marks.

i dont think we should muddy it with the word "eating", but yes, I certainly have a disorder when it comes to wanting my stats to be accurate. You should see the excel spreadsheet I built to chart my monthly expenses/debt/property value/investments/etc. On the first day of each month, i know to the dollar my total net worth.

I realize we cant be that precise when it comes to eating, but the approach of adding the whole enchilada when we only consume a portion of it is something I will never be comfortable doing.
  • RebeccaJ64
    RebeccaJ64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You could weigh the drip tray empty, cook your burger, then weigh the drip tray with the drippings in it. There will be some moisture, but probably not a lot, say about 25% of the volume of the drippings. Multiply the weight of the drippings by the percent fat that you think is in there (say, 75%); multiply the adjusted weight by the caloric density of beef fat (about 9 kcal per gram, I think) and subtract that number from the original calorie value for your beef patty.

If you are truly concerned about getting an accurate weight for the fat, then transfer the drippings to a cup, let the fat rise to the top, and then transfer the fat back to your drip pan (which you weighed empty). Weigh the pan with the fat in it, subtract the empty pan weight, and multiply the actual fat weight by the caloric density for beef fat.

That should give you a pretty good idea of how many fat calories you lost to the grilling process. It would, admittedly, be a lot of work...
  • mistadj
    mistadj Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think the OPs question is regarding the fat content. The grill claims there is less fat in your food because of the way it is cooked. I have ran into the same problem with my Nu-Wave oven. You consume less of the fat but really, there is no way to tell.

This is the same thing i was thinking. Since it drains the fat, can you use the same information as cooking in a skillet? I guess this is the issue with most home cooked foods.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I just ate 2 1/4 burgers fixed on a GF grill. They were originally 80/20. should i have weighed the meat before i ate it? how do y'all figure the calories?

Look for a listing that says broiled or grilled. Both are cooking methods that allow the fat to drip off just like a Forman so the calorie content should be comparable.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You all are funny. Your "Stats" are an estimate. You simply can't apply the formula's to food that you apply to your investments and expect it to be accurate. You have to accept the inaccuracy. Everything with food is an estimate. From how much calories are in it to how much you burn off per activity to how much of it is cooked out. If you want to lose weight you need to consume less than you burn. So by going with the packaged nutrition information you will never underestimate your consumed.

To the OP if this was that important to you I would think that you would be buying a better grade of beef. You would be making more precise measurements. You wouldn't be eating ground beef.

Did you know if you rinsed the meat and cooked it some more and then rinsed it again and cooked it some more you could further reduce the amount of fat left in it? Or you could just use a leaner beef to start with.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    There will be some moisture, but probably not a lot, say about 25% of the volume of the drippings.
    How much of the moisture was lost to evaporation?
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Aww, you and the 'how many cals in the unpopped popcorn kernals?' person should date, you'd have such fun.