Newbie college kid

Options
Hey I'm new to MFP. I had been a member at WeightWatchersOnline but can't afford it anymore. So far I like this a lot better. Any advice for a college kid trying to break the stereotype of gaining weight in college?

Replies

• TMasticTB
    TMasticTB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey MALgal! I'm entering the home stretch of my Senior year - can't wait until I graduate in May!

Even though I gained my weight back (and then some), when I lived on-campus I walked everywhere I went. Seriously, a good walk every day can really make a difference. I also tend to walk faster than most people, which helps me burn more calories. I was also a tour guide for a couple of years, and that was a LOT as well!

Any groups/clubs on-campus that are active groups? If running isn't your thing, maybe join a dancing club, or karate, or etc. etc. You get my drift. And feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • jj128
    jj128 Posts: 1
    Options
    Same! I'm new to MFP as well and I used to do WWOnline and it got expensive! And a lot of the time I was forgetting to track, so then it was just a waste of money. Trying to start fresh and start with this! I've always been terrible about working out though, that's definitely my biggest weakness because 1. I never make time for it and 2. I think I'm horrible at it ... I can't even run a full mile without stopping right now! FAIL. Haha. Maybe we can motivate each other through this process!
  • kimberleydavis
    Options
    check to see if your college has a gym included in your tuition. some of them do. if so, take part in lots of classes, or make some friends and see if they wanna go with you. i actually found a girl on tumblr who lives in the same city as i do, and we're going to start doing spin classes together.

don't worry, if you're confident in yourself and your journey, you'll be fine.
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    Walk to your classes instead of taking the bus. As mentioned, if the Student Rec Center fee is included with your tuition and fees, go! Get a locker and keep workout clothes there so you don't have an excuse. Ask around in your classes and get a fitness group together. Take a kinesiology class that keeps you active (its usually required anyways).
  • NeccoRu
    Options
    Hi I'm also new to MFP....I go to Wesley College in Dover, DE..... I just wanted to introduce myself =)
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options
    Hey I am a sophomore in college! My first semester I actually lost 15 pounds because I was so busy. Unfortunately, I gained 25 pounds my second semester. My biggest problem was simply stress, it messes up your body a lot. But things to help you... campus gym is a great idea! And if you have time to take an activity elective class. And remember nutrition! Its easy to make bad eating decisions in college, so try hard not to!
  • hsaylor09
    Options
    Hi there! I'm new, too, and would love a MFP buddy to help keep me on track! Add me and we can knock these pounds off. I've been out of school for 2 1/2 years and am still trying to get rid of the 35lbs I gained during college. I also tried the WWOnline and despite all the hoop-la, it didn't work for me. Food luck with tracking this week! You can do it!
  • CateLouise
    CateLouise Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    im a uni student (pretty much the australian version of college) and hopeing to lose what i gained last year and then some =D
    anyone can feel free to add me for some motivational support =D