What are good measurements for a woman?

Options
I know that I am not the size I want to be but how many inches should I lose? What are measurements of fit women?

Replies

• loren
    loren Posts: 111
    Options
    I know that I am not the size I want to be but how many inches should I lose? What are measurements of fit women?
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I think this depends on your frame. Clothes-wise, a size 6 (which most women would say they would love to be in!) have hips around 37 inches, and a waist of anywhere from 27-29, I think. However, I know extremely fit friends who could never fit into a size 6, and would look ghastly if they did. How tall are you?
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think it all really depends on your frame, which is genetic. I have bigger hips, so I know that I'll never be a size 2 or whatever. It's hard to come to terms with, but I'm me. Measurements and weight and all that are just numbers.

Anyway, the only specific number as far as measurements go that I've heard of is that women with a waist larger than 35 inches tend to have a significant increase in health problems and such.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Hi Loren:flowerforyou:

How old is your profile pic? You look smokin' hot in that picture!:drinker:

I'm not sure what the exact numbers are... I think there is some theory that no matter what size you are it looks sexy if you have the hour glass shape. That's when your bust and hips are about the same and your waist is smaller (eg 36-24-36)? Someone help me if you've seen that designer named Bayou talk about this...

Hope that helps
    :heart: -Kechie.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I have seen/heard talk about the waist/hip ratio like this: http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/waist_hip.asp

I don't carry a whole lot of FAT in my midsection, but have always had a thicker waist. And I have narrow hips. Basically I'm made more like a guy. haha.
  • loren
    loren Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks... I know numbers don't really matter but I would just like to know what I'm working towards. Oh and that picture was taken last Nov or Oct Kechie. I was probably only 5 lbs smaller, around 145 probably more, and still wanted to lose but thanks!
  • kgrc
    kgrc Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Loren;

You do look really good...

I am 32-26-34..and weigh 121...5'8" and don't look great like you...

I would like to know the measurements as well...
  • Marlene529
    Options
    well usually i have heard 90cm 60cm 90cm
    But I have seen people like that and they don't look so great, so i wouldnt go by what others say. It all depends on YOUR body. Whatever looks best on you:wink:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I think it will depend on what you feel like at that size. Do you have a goal size in mind? Check out a standard size chart to see what measurements you would be looking at.

Fun FYI...

Marilyn Monroe's measurements as on file with her studio were: 37-23-36, but accorindg to her dressmaker, her real measurements were more like 36-25-37. She would be about a size 6 (or a 4) by today's standard.
    :flowerforyou:

Those measurements used to correlate to what was a size twelve 50 years ago. I recently read that in the last ten years sizes have become one whole dress size larger by measurement (when used to be a 6 is now a 4).
    :noway:

A size 8 according to Victoria Secret Size chart is: 35.5 - 27.5 - 38.

It will also depend on your shape and your proportions. My waist is always a size or two smaller than my hips and bust - just how the cookie crumbles.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    That probably isn't the way you want to go. Each woman will have different measurements based off of their height, age and genes!

Instead of thinking about measurements of others just focus on getting fit and healthy and be happy! :flowerforyou:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I think that since we are all unique individuals there is not going to be a "perfect" measurement. Even if we are the same height & weight our measurements won't be the same.
    I say don't strive for that "perfection" that can't be reached. But try for realistic goals that you can live with. I know I could get down to 110lb (I'm 5'2") but I'd look skinny and not be able to maintain it easily. I'd be starving myself and depriving myself. I'm 120 and happy. It's easy to maintain and I feel healthy.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I think that since we are all unique individuals there is not going to be a "perfect" measurement. Even if we are the same height & weight our measurements won't be the same.
    I say don't strive for that "perfection" that can't be reached. But try for realistic goals that you can live with. I know I could get down to 110lb (I'm 5'2") but I'd look skinny and not be able to maintain it easily. I'd be starving myself and depriving myself. I'm 120 and happy. It's easy to maintain and I feel healthy.

I'm with Keiko!!! I had a lower goal in mind when I first started on MFP, but when I got to this size, I just felt great, and could maintain it. I am certainly not skinny, but I feel good at this weight. You will know when you get there!
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My hips make ideal measurements unrealistic lol! I'm 5'2 with a large frame and right now I'm: 36, 28, 38.5, in a size 8 denim. I'm totally happy here, and my husband has told me to STOP losing. I don't think anything lower would look healthy on me! lol

It is true, numbers are just an average to go by. The classic 36,24,36 is a staple, but what frame did that woman have?

Keep in mind Petey Pablo's version... 36,24,46, Hahaha! It is amazing how different cultures view the "perfect womanly shape", but I think overall, curvature is appealing.
  • krinio
    krinio Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    As everyone's already said, it depends on the individual. But what harm can another example do? :tongue: lol My sister has the most beautiful figure! She's 125lbs and 5'7" and her measurements are 34-27-37 :love:
  • shagybear33
    shagybear33 Posts: 272
    Options
    OMG!! LOL!!

I am sooooo shaped like a Dude!!! Hahah..

I'm 5'5" and my measurements are 36.5/27/32.. Eeek!! Hahah Sorry, just had to share!