maintenance- exercise

Options
So I've reached my goal weight by eating clean and exercising 5-6 days a week. 5 days out of the 6 I was waking up at 4:45 to get to them gym by 5 for an hour workout. Although I do love my morning workouts, they can be tiring on days like today where I am out the door at 4:45, work, school, and home at 9:45.

Now that I am on maintenance, I am tempted to go to the gym MWF and one weekend day, but I am feeling really guilty about it! I feel real guilty since most of the people on here work out every day. If i cut back on workouts, will I gain?

Any maintenance people switch up their exercise routines?

Thanks people

Replies

• bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    Options
    Once I get to maintenance I only plan on going to the gym MWF. I currently go at least 5x per week.

I think as long as you keep within your maintenance calorie goal you should be fine.

Good luck!
  • hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I honestly lost my desire to work out because life has been so incredibly busy for me right now, I set my goal to maintenance at least a month ago and I have still lost 5 lbs and I am eating the calories it has me set on and plus on some days. It was really hard at first to change my mentality from "eat as little calories as you can and work out as much as possible" to "eat more and working out doesn't have to be quite so intense". Give yourself some time, your mind set will change! I know that my lack of working out is not good either, I don't plan to stay this way! But I do think that only going to the gym a few days a week won't hurt you at all! Give your body the rest it deserves!
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    I am going 3 days a week, plus I get at least one run in a week and a couple of days on the bike. I have reached my goal weight, but I still want to lose a few more pounds(fat around the stomach area), so I still have a bunch of motivation.

I am kind of weaning myself back up to maintenance calories though. I don't want to just pile in to it and find out I gained 5 pounds back in two weeks because of a change in the amount I eat. I am also continuing to eat a good healthy diet. I think that is the key to it all..
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance ? about 2 months. My plan was to just change intake but exercise "about" the same but maybe change focus to more strength in the mix than primarily cardio. I even gained 1.5kg on a holiday but lost it again in around 3 weeks. I've also had an incredibly busy last month and hardly done any activity at all.

Having said all that - your plan sounds fine. I don't see the need to keep up intense workouts unless you want to change focus to body comp instead of weight loss. That's what I planned but real life got in the way a bit.

From the bit of research I've done, even focused exercise 3 times a week is enough to maintain and keep health issues at bay. For purely weight maintenance though I reckon workout how much and whatever intensity makes you feel good & just watch the calories in/out.

I will say one thing - don't ever drop the activity altogether - apart from probably ending up with the skinny sag look I just feel lousy after a month of inactivity. The lethargy; not sleeping as well etc etc all starts creeping back pretty quick.
  • kated930
    kated930 Posts: 132
    Options
    Thanks guys- I love to workout so I would never drop it all together... I just don't want to beat myself up if I don't make it on a day, or spend the entire day worrying about what I eat!