New member and lovin it

Options
My name is Elvia and I am a foodaholic. Well, somewhat. I had Gastric Bypass surgery last year on Nov 9. At my 1 year mark I had lost 125 lbs. I had my check-up and talked to the doc about how my former "emotional/bored/etc" eating had started creeping back in. She recommended I try to keep a food diary and follow up next month. Well a few friends told me about MFP and I joined and I love it. I've never been a calorie-counter and since I joined a week ago I have really been concious about calories in the items I'm eating. MFP has really kept me accountable for my eating habits. I also had all four wisdom teeth removed Thursday, so that has aided me in my weight loss and I've lost 4 lbs so far. I would like to continue keeping track of my diet because my goal is to be in the "normal" BMI range which would be 135 lbs for me. My doc's goal was 150 after surgery. I am trying to be a better health-concious person and reach my goal within the next 6 months because (although everyone's different) I heard after bypass surgery about 1.5 years out is where your body sort of "settles" into it's (regular?) weight. I need to lose 33 lbs to hit my doc's goal or 53 lbs to hit my goal by May. I would love any help/support/advice. Sorry for the novel!

Replies

• Cheryldock
    Cheryldock Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Glad you like mfp. I also just started. I have thought about having (Gastric Bypass surgery, but thought I would try this first. How was the surgery? Was it hard afterwards? Keep in touch maybe we can help each other :-)
  • klothingme
    klothingme Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all your hard work so far, and so happy that you are enjoying the site! I have added you as a friend, and would love to help support and encourage your endeavors.

My goal weight is also 135, so maybe we can encourage each other to get there :D

Based on my current exercise/diet I am hoping to get there by about February/March--though the holidays are creeping up and I know that they may throw a GIANT monkey wrench into my process :/

Anywhoo, welcome to the site, and best of luck!!!
  • erigsby81
    Options
    Thank you both! Cheryl the surgery was not bad at all. I only had bad pain the day of surgery and a little bit the next 2 days. The hardest part is getting in all your protein (for me it was disgusting) and accomodating to your new smaller stomach. For me it was more emotional because of the progressions in food and such because I was used to eating however much I wanted. I also was not good at portion control because you are supposed to measure everything and I got lazy. It is such a great tool though! I know I could not have done it without the surgery. I still have discouraging moments. My body shape did not change to a "normal" looking shape as other people's did that had the surgery. I definitely am skinnier, but walking down the street I still look fat lol. I will take what I can get though and now that I'm on the food diary path I think I can accomplish my goal as long as I keep my mind right.

Klothingme I am also nervous about holidays. Halloween was not pretty lol. I didn't overdo it, but definetely I should have not eaten as much candy as I did! I would love to keep encouraged and vice-versa! Hopefully we will both hit our goal and our timelines are about the same :) Good luck to you!