For people that strength train in the morning

Options
Do you find that you feel tired during the rest of your day, or does your body spring back and handle a regular day of activity? I'm trying to figure out a gym schedule, and I have an active job (nanny for 2 year olds), I can't really afford to be spent before my work day begins but I also don't have a lot of time to workout after work most days. Thoughts? Tips?

Replies

• kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    bump because I want to know too. If I don't go to the gym at 4 in the morning before my kids lives begin, I never will
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Well I don't go quite so early (9am) but I don't feel tired during the day. It actually energizes me!
  • itztwin
    itztwin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Your body is drained because your body is trying to rebuild and it calling for protein. After you finish your workout get a protein shake or a lil breakfast. It should get u up
  • nacs246
    nacs246 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do find that if I really do a heavy weight training session ( lower Body) I feel drained. But personally I just prefer to do my workouts in the morning so I know its done even if I have to snap out of being tired with a good protein shake or something healthy!!
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    A good morning workout including 5-10 minutes warmup, some mobilisation (stretches), then 20-30 mins lifting (could do 15-20 if time is pressing) followed by a short cool down and some more stretching should not wear you out for the day, you might feel energised and into it, especially once your fitness has improved. That is assuming that you're not doing an intense/extreme lifting programme for competition or such.

You could alternate weights with cardio training (ie. 3 days strength, 3 days cardio) and have at least one day off a week. If you're looking for more exercise you could do strength in the morning and cardio in the afternoon. That way you put the most into your strength (and your day's work) and only feel pooped after the cardio in the afternoon/evening.

Lots of combinations are useful, find the one that works best for you.
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    I'm at the gym every day before work.

5:50am - get up
    6:00am - have made breakfast, bags in the car (pre-packed from the night before) and kissed hubbie goodbye
    6:30am - checked into gym
    6:40am - doing my thing :)
    7:45am - shower/get ready for work
    8:15am - at my desk, working

I LOVE working out in the morning. So - i alternate cardio and strength days. On cardio, I typically do an hour. Strength days are around 45 min and then a 20-30 minute run.

I eat breakfast in the car on the way to the gym and am hungry when I get to work so I have another little breakfast. I know that I would feel fatigued if I didn't eat when I do... and I am great the rest of the day. I drink tons of cal/caffeine free tea as well as Green Tea. I have a desk job so I won't lie - there are certain times of the day where I NEED to get up and walk around but overall my energy is great.

The night before is pretty routine as well. I am in bed by 10pm-11:30pm, and do have a couple glasses of alcohol. Speaking of, I should go to bed soon.

Mornings are the BEST once your body gets used to it. I never, ever, thought I would be able to do it.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have an appointment with a personal trainer in two weeks to really get a routine nailed down, but I don't want to wait until then to start doing things. Trying to figure all of this gym stuff out isn't easy, especially for someone who never really used a gym before.
  • MobileRanger
    Options
    I'm at the gym every day before work.

5:50am - get up
    6:00am - have made breakfast, bags in the car (pre-packed from the night before) and kissed hubbie goodbye
    6:30am - checked into gym
    6:40am - doing my thing :)
    7:45am - shower/get ready for work
    8:15am - at my desk, working

I LOVE working out in the morning. So - i alternate cardio and strength days. On cardio, I typically do an hour. Strength days are around 45 min and then a 20-30 minute run.

I eat breakfast in the car on the way to the gym and am hungry when I get to work so I have another little breakfast. I know that I would feel fatigued if I didn't eat when I do... and I am great the rest of the day. I drink tons of cal/caffeine free tea as well as Green Tea. I have a desk job so I won't lie - there are certain times of the day where I NEED to get up and walk around but overall my energy is great.

The night before is pretty routine as well. I am in bed by 10pm-11:30pm, and do have a couple glasses of alcohol. Speaking of, I should go to bed soon.

Mornings are the BEST once your body gets used to it. I never, ever, thought I would be able to do it.

I totally agree, morning workouts rock. I have almost the exact same schedule. Up at 5am, in the gym working out by 6:30 or 6:45 for 45 minutes to an hour, recovery drink, shower, and having breakfast in the cafeteria at work by 8:15. I am so totally not a morning person, but once I got into my routine it got a lot easier. I just had to start going to be a little earlier. I feal so much better and ready to tackle the day after my morning pump.