Getting really discouraged

Options
Over a month ago, I started to try to get back on track. I hired a trainer to help me with strength training, I increased my cardio, I joined up here, and I am keeping a food diary every day. In that whole month, I have lost .02 lbs, and have not lost anything measurement-wise. I mean, I know it can take some time, but shouldn't i be seeing something soon?

Replies

• sunnyzephyr
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. At the beginning of the summer, I started working out and watching my diet. After a few weeks I saw no results and quit. A couple weeks later I dropped 5 pounds. So sometimes it takes a while to catch up. And maybe you just need to try something different. The body is a complex thing. Good luck!
  • itsabbylove
    Options
    You def should be losing something! Unless you are going way under your calories or way over there should def be some loss! I would say stick with it! Yes it could take awhile(trust me i have kicked a few walls because of this;) but the main goal should to be healthier! Increasing your cardio, strength training, and eating right will all make your body healthier and that is something to be proud of!!!
  • Wallaby2
    Wallaby2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi there, it sounds like you are just not getting the results you expected and can't work out why. I've sent you a message. Hope to link up soon. Take heart, you'll get results, unless of course you're already at a good weight.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Just a quick peek at your diary told me that you are eating too many processed foods, yet not enough calories per day. You should increase your water intake as well.
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    Just a quick peek at your diary told me that you are eating too many processed foods, yet not enough calories per day. You should increase your water intake as well.

tru dat.
    and you are pretty heavy on carbs and way over on sugar every day. what are you doing for strength training? i wouldn't think you are getting enough protein, or calories.
    what kind of cardio?
  • rain1234
    Options
    it's gonna be tough but you can do it! :)
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options
    The important thing about cardio is pushing yourself. If you're not getting too a point where you are sweating and exhausted, then you're not burning fat. The body burns other calories before it burns actual fat. So make sure you are pushing yourself during your cardio workouts. They don't necessarily have t be long, just fairly high intensity.
  • Skyechild12345
    Options
    For strength training, I do an hour for my legs, on Monday, and Tues/Thurs for my arms. I am gradually working into it. My reps increase pretty much every other time. I try to get some protein every day, but it's probably not enough.
  • Skyechild12345
    Options
    Sunny,

I have started doing the fat-burning workout on the treadmill, and an intensity level of 3. It varies the workout...with different speeds and different inclines. Hopefully that will help.
  • Wallaby2
    Options
    Hi there, it sounds like you are just not getting the results you expected and can't work out why. I've sent you a message. Hope to link up soon. Take heart, you'll get results, unless of course you're already at a good weight.
    Oops, I didn't realize your diary is already viewable....sorry about that! Here are a couple of things I noticed: your breakfasts are great, and you seem to be trying to stay o 1200 calories. I did notice that you don't drink much water and as there is not much else listed as drinks you're possibly dehydrated and holding fluid. My suggestion would be to drink lots of water, note any other drinks, eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies which are low in calories and fill you up, they'll also add more fibre to cleanse your system. Also, add more protein eg skinless chicken and reduce pasta. All the best. Good on you for reaching out for support. :)
  • Wallaby2
    Options
    Oops, I didn't realize your diary is already viewable....sorry about that! Here are a couple of things I noticed: your breakfasts are great, and you seem to be trying to stay o 1200 calories. I did notice that you don't drink much water and as there is not much else listed as drinks you're possibly dehydrated and holding fluid. My suggestion would be to drink lots of water, note any other drinks, eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies which are low in calories and fill you up, they'll also add more fibre to cleanse your system. Also, add more protein eg skinless chicken and reduce pasta. All the best. Good on you for reaching out for support. :)
  • Skyechild12345
    Options
    Wallaby ( my daughter would LOVE your name...she spent nine months in qld about 10 years ago), my diary wasn't public when you first messaged me. I opened it up after you mentioned it.

Thanks, everyone. I am new at this, so I need all the advice I can get.Obviously, if I knew how to eat properly, I wouldn't have gotten fat in the first place. 8-)
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options
    Sunny,

I have started doing the fat-burning workout on the treadmill, and an intensity level of 3. It varies the workout...with different speeds and different inclines. Hopefully that will help.

that is good! Something that also helps is doing incline on the treadmill. You burn more calories, work more parts of your body, and it is safer as far as preventing running injuries. When I was a track athlete, we ran hills every day and it got me in shape really fast.
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options
    Sunny,

that is good! Something that also helps is doing incline on the treadmill. You burn more calories, work more parts of your body, and it is safer as far as preventing running injuries. When I was a track athlete, we ran hills every day and it got me in shape really fast.

haha wow. didn't notice that you also said different inclines. but anyways, it definitely helps. And I hardly notice a difference when I am on a low incline, so I usually do an incline of 11 then alternate every 2 minutes between a speed of 3 and 5.5 :)
  • warren1990
    Options
    Over a month ago, I started to try to get back on track. I hired a trainer to help me with strength training, I increased my cardio, I joined up here, and I am keeping a food diary every day. In that whole month, I have lost .02 lbs, and have not lost anything measurement-wise. I mean, I know it can take some time, but shouldn't i be seeing something soon?

My story (hope it helps) is started the South Beach in Jan. and only cooked and ate the items these books recommended then started P90x in March. after hitting a wall i started myfitnesspal in August to get over the hump. So with these 3 programs i am down 80lbs and still losing! Good luck
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    For strength training, I do an hour for my legs, on Monday, and Tues/Thurs for my arms. I am gradually working into it. My reps increase pretty much every other time. I try to get some protein every day, but it's probably not enough.

just legs and arms? perhaps you can talk to your trainer about expanding the muscle groups you work. the arms aren't a significant percentage of lean muscle mass like the back is, so perhaps you could switch up one session from the arms and work the back. and consider increasing the load, not the reps, in order to build more lean tissue.
  • Kidlaa
    Kidlaa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This sounds like me a couple a months ago on my last failed attempt to lose weight! I know how you feel and for me it was a real eye opener when my nutritionist told me that I was doing things wrong. I thought that if I could keep my calories under the recommended amount and do a little exercise everyday, then I would be able to lose weight. Boy was I wrong! I would eventually lose weight but I would lost it in the time frame of one to two years, this was not an option since I wanted to see some rapid weight lose. I have a serious case of sweet tooth and did not see anything wrong with eating 1 cup of ice cream everyday, nor did I see anything wrong with not following my diet on weekends. Believe it or not changing these two things made a big difference for me. I managed to lose 15 lbs by watching what I eat daily (mainly including mostly fruits and vegetables), by switching my ice cream for frozen fudge pops (40 calories each), and by increasing the time and intensity of my workouts! Sadly, I had a car accident and in a matter of time gained all my weight back. I am now trying over again and hope to better succeed with the help of this website!
  • Wallaby2
    Options
    Wallaby ( my daughter would LOVE your name...she spent nine months in qld about 10 years ago), my diary wasn't public when you first messaged me. I opened it up after you mentioned it.

Thanks, everyone. I am new at this, so I need all the advice I can get.Obviously, if I knew how to eat properly, I wouldn't have gotten fat in the first place. 8-)

Thanks! My name is Melinda and I do live in Australia; when I chose the name I didn't realise it would be a name others would see! I've been on MFP for nearly 50 days and have loved it. Keep tweaking what you're doing, little changes can make a big difference :)
  • MissMorts
    MissMorts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks Skyechild, I'm sorry but it's kinda nice to know I'm not the only one struggling to work out what I'm doing wrong :blushing:
    I too am struggling to get my water intake up, struggle with simple carb and sugar addiction, am completely unorganized with my food, but have jumped on the exercise wagon and am tracking food etc and am getting frustrated with not seeing ANY POSITIVE MOVEMENT, there was 2 pounds or something a couple of weeks ago, but now I'm afraid to update my weight cos it's gone UP not down, and my measurements arent changing either... :frown: I don't want lots, just some would be nice...

BUT, I figure we keep taking the tips the great people on this site throw our way, break our processed food addictions, increase our water intakes and just keep plugging away... I read on this site the other day that sometimes it takes our bodies some time to adjust to the new way we want our bodies to work... We CAN do this! :happy:
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Biggest thing I would suggest is start exercising daily. I couldnt lose weight until I did this. Even just walking on the tread mill for twenty min.