Kia Ora! quick question :)

Hey guys!

Just discovered the website and love it!

so do you mostly concentrate on your final calorie intake or is the carbs protein fat just as important?
What do you guys focus on?

I've been finding it hard to keep my protein levels under my limit..

X

Replies

• seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    I focus mainly on calories..But lately I've started watching my salt intake.........
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    The protein levels on here are very low - you can easily up them quite a bit.....from memory you can go to 1.5grams per 1kg of lean bodyweight.....so I changed my goals to much higher protein....
  • I looked at calorie first, then worked on reducing fat (esp saturated fats) then salt. You can adjust the settings to show on your page what you want grouping you want to concentrate on.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    I count calories, veggies and exercise. Eating the right amount of vegetables seems to naturally balance out my cravings for extra fats and carbs, it makes me feel more energetic and that helps me get enough exercise, which also lowers my cravings and stress. Also, it's easier to keep track of "did I eat 3-5 servings of vegetables? did I get out and sweat today?" than all the numbers of carbs, sugars, fats, etc. Keeping it simple keeps me more likely to stay positive and stay on track.

Oh, one more thing - when I did WW before it kept my fats very low and I ended up with my good cholesterol too low. My skin and hair got very dry too. My doctor said I should eat more healthy fats from fish, soy beans, nuts, etc. I find that if I go over the fat recommendation of MFP by a little bit, but everything else is right, I still lose weight and my cholesterol has gone back to healthy.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Hello fellow kiwi!

It depends on your goals - if you are after pure weight loss as long as you are at a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

But if you have specific goals for body composition, strength or fitness you will be concerned with your macros (carb/fat/protein split).

In general MFP sets your protein setting quite low so I wouldn't be too worried if you are going over. the general rule of thumb is a 1 - 1.5 of protein for every pound of body weight. Like Elle I upped my protein in my diary settings
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    When I first joined, the first month or so I lost ten pounds while only focusing on caloric limit. I stopped losing (I wasn't exercising at all, in case you wonder) and gave up. I joined back up. Now I've been hardcore watching my calories for months and have had to fight to lose five pounds... most of it I've been stuck or working super hard to lose even half a pound. The calorie deficit isn't always perfect, because I have to figure out why I haven't lost weight in months. It could be too much sodium, not enough water, not enough protein, I exercise all the time so its not that. I am ALWAYS under my net because the days I work out hardcore make up for the few I go over a bit. I'd suggest just watch calories and if you hit a plateau you will have to start to pay more attention to the other stuff like me. :(
  • Pukenui
    Pukenui Posts: 31 Member
    Hello fellow kiwi!

It depends on your goals - if you are after pure weight loss as long as you are at a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

But if you have specific goals for body composition, strength or fitness you will be concerned with your macros (carb/fat/protein split).

In general MFP sets your protein setting quite low so I wouldn't be too worried if you are going over. the general rule of thumb is a 1 - 1.5 of protein for every pound of body weight. Like Elle I upped my protein in my diary settings

Thanks! yeah just weight loss at this point, How do you change your protein limits? Diary settings?
    North Island/South Island?? :)
  • Pukenui
    Pukenui Posts: 31 Member
    Found it! :)
  • Ritala1987
    Ritala1987 Posts: 135 Member
    im ALWAYS over in protien...but thats fine..it keeps me fuller for longer....im all about cals and exercise, thats what works for me :)