New here. Has anyone had gastric bypass?

Options
Hi
I'm 50+ and had gastric bypass a month ago.

Replies

• ladykinder
    Options
    Hi .. I have had gastric bypass It has been about 3 years ago.. It was the best thing I ever did..

Angela
  • smangani
    smangani Posts: 120
    Options
    I had my gastric bypass May 2003. And I too agree - it was the best thing I ever did!! ~Sandy
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 3 years ago. I've lost and kept off 200 pounds. Life is great!!
  • suzancarroll
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 7 years ago, be sure that you don't fall into the thought that you won't gain it back. You can I am trying to loose the 80lbs I gained back. So stick with your diet and exercise it is a tool for weight lose not a forever fix.
  • kbruick
    Options
    Hello! I m also new to this, and am about to have Gastric Bypass surgery. I have @150 lbs to lose to reach my goal weight. If any of you who have had the bypass surgery have any tips or warnings, I would really appreciate your input! I am 47 years old and a very busy mom of 5 great kids, and a part-time special education teacher. I have struggled with weight my entire adult life, and have lost weight and regained it dozens of times. My health has been steadily declining as a result, and I now am dealing with Rheumatoid Arthritis & Fibromyalgia, on top of my hypertension and depression issues. I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, and am finally ready to change for good! I want to enjoy my life, not just survive it!
  • Pukenui
    Pukenui Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello! I m also new to this, and am about to have Gastric Bypass surgery. I have @150 lbs to lose to reach my goal weight. If any of you who have had the bypass surgery have any tips or warnings, I would really appreciate your input! I am 47 years old and a very busy mom of 5 great kids, and a part-time special education teacher. I have struggled with weight my entire adult life, and have lost weight and regained it dozens of times. My health has been steadily declining as a result, and I now am dealing with Rheumatoid Arthritis & Fibromyalgia, on top of my hypertension and depression issues. I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, and am finally ready to change for good! I want to enjoy my life, not just survive it!

Good on you! sounds like your ready to trake control! I would love top have GB surgery but am not heavy enough for it (im guessing). It's just so hard im hungry ALL THE TIME it's not that i eat cos im bored or upset im actually hungry! it's so hard.
  • nikkikickinfat
    Options
    I had it 14 weeks ago the rny doing well.
  • netty1959
    Options
    hi hun i would really appreicate if you could give me some advice tip, etc about the bypass surgery, i have been refered to my surgeon and are needing to lose 15kg before been considered for the op i have over 75kg to lose alltogether and i think the bypass is really my last option to get it off
  • Losingbooty
    Losingbooty Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My Friend just had it done! she is ROCKING a 140 lbs weight loss and still going! She is on my fitness pal I will send her your way:-)
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I did. 5 years ago :)
  • netty1959
    Options
    i would really appeciate advice help, do's and dont's about anything to do with weight loss surgery, the band, sleeve, bypass anything, surgeon advices i get bypass did it work for you please help:flowerforyou:
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    My biggest advice is when you start to notice weight gain,,,,, get help right away. Tell your doctor or do some research. I did my research after gaining 23 lbs. I figured out what was wrong and quickly fixed it - THANK GOD! I could have gotten out of control.

When you do start gaining, go back to the basic rules: No drinking with your food. Protein first. No grazing or snacking (soo dangerous) Take your vitamins. etc.

Check out livingafterwls.com That woman helped me a lot. I used it to get back on track and lose bad habits, then I came over to MFP and lost the rest of the weight I had gained!

Good Luck to anyone who is thinking about the surgery. It will work if you work with it! Your life will never ever be the same, I wish you a safe surgery and recovery :) Ask me anytime if you have any questions.

Please please please always take your vitamins.. I didn't and, again, learned another lesson in life!
  • kybrandyb
    kybrandyb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve done if anyone has any questions on that one i'm your girl! They basically remove 85% of your stomach. Its a slower loss (they say) than the bypass BUT I have lost 140 pounds in 8 months today.
  • mariewithers
    Options
    Hi I had a bypass 17 days ago, have lost 18lb post ob, no regrets.