opinions on clif bars

Options
I am limited in the foods available to me as I am ad mil deployed. I am looking into some other foods, and wondering opinions on the CLIF brand bars, I have choc chip, peanut butter, and peanut butter chocolate chip available to me. They are said to be organic etc

Most of my calories for the day are in either metrx meal replacement shakes, with soy milk, almonds, so nuts, sometimes fish , fresh fruit , dried cherries, tuna, canned chicken ..
Also recently had naturally more peanut butter sent..

Most other foods are very high in fat/ deep fried so trying to avoid lots of chow hall prepared meals..

Profile is open

let me know Thanks

Replies

• peacefrog08109
    peacefrog08109 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I personally like them... much better than power bars. I'm a night shift nurse so a lot of times I'm waking up and eating in the car on the way to work where I may not get a chance to eat for several hours. They keep me pretty full for a long time.
  • xjaxinatorx
    Options
    personaly, i dont like the bars, i rather just eat some raw almonds and/or banana.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    First of all, thank you for serving our country. I really appreciate your service for us.

I am coaching someone who is also deployed and I know that the choices are difficult but I personally feel that in your situation, especially depending on what your physical requirements are, you will be okay with your listed choices. Be careful of too many nut fats. There are other bar choices (although bars can be a set up for most) as well as other shake products with cleaner ingredients but again, I think at this point your body will utilize what you are choosing.

If you do feel that your are having set backs, please don't hesitate to contact me. I have worked with military and the MEPS program at my fitness center so some experience there, if it could help you in the future if needed.

Thanks for the question and blessings to you.

Best,
    Coach Nyla
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    NPC Figure Competitor
    "If nothing changes, nothing changes."
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I really LOVE clif bars. Only bars I've ever really liked. My favorites are the brownie and the mint chocolate. :( Sad that those aren't the flavors you have available but I'm sure the other ones are good too.
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Everyone loves the cliff bar, prepackaged protein and happiness I say. And filling too!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I really like them and I think they're pretty healthy choices, but I'm sorry you'll be living on them and such a small amount of other food for so long!!!! Take care of yourself, and thank you for your service!!!!
  • emgs52
    emgs52 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I like the kid z cliff bars lower in cals, i also love love love the think thin bars
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Hooah Lad, Thanks for serving.

I personally like the Clif Bars and I'm not generally a big fan of Energy or Protein bars. I understand about the DFAC but I would suggest you do a bit of front loading there at Breakfast, Eggs to order and oatmeal are in abundance and on days you have to go outside the wire every cal counts.
    In Iraq we had guys spending three week rotations at the COPS and when they'd come back to the FOB would have lost as much as 3-5% of their lean mass. These bars are a way to help prevent that or at least slow it down.
    Good Luck lad and don't hesitate to email me if I can help any more. God Bless.

JH Ellis Sr (USA, ret)
    Hammer Jammer 1
  • mlh29
    mlh29 Posts: 40
    Options
    ALCON, Thank you for the replies, just trying to eat better since starting MFP. I am finding it harder to eat the goals I have set now. I used to eat around 1100 a day and not eat the exercise cal back. Been trying to cut back on calories expended and stick as close to 2000-2200 a day intake . I am trying to expend 800 a day via cardio 4 -5 times a week( was doing 1100-1200 every day with zero results as body was starving) but am not putting them into to the log( effectively keeping my overall net close to 1500 a day, with a 40/40/20 split) Eating this much leaves me stuffed all day , but have been seeing a difference in composition( not necesarily weight drop)

Been reading every label in the chow hall
    so far clif bars at 240 cal, 6 g fat, 10 g protein are best for high cal foods... that seem somewhat healthy..
    been eating fresh eggs when available but most of the time it is fake eggs( low cal and cant stand them)
    peanut butter has been ok, but high in fat.. so switched to naturally more brand( think it is better overall)

Thanks again Good luck to all

fresh fruit is hit and miss.. as are veggies..