Water Before Bed

Options
Is there any detriment to drinking 2 pints (UK sized) just before going to bed?

I try and drink my water throughout the day but sometimes things happen and I don't so I'll down a couple of pints before going to bed. Other than needing to get up to the toilet during the night is there anything wrong with this?

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I literally drank 2 pints of water before bed last night and was wondering the same thing!!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I cannot fathom any reason that the time of day one consumes water would matter.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i do that every night, rarely effects my sleep i always tend to guzzle a pint of water down rather then take time over it - not done me any harm :-)
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I don't think I really matters, but I try and stop drinking fluids by 8pm. Since I go to bed around 930pm at the latest and don't need to be getting up in the night to pee. But I have trouble sleeping.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    All i can say is buy a cork!! lol :noway:
  • xjaxinatorx
    Options
    the only thing that happens if you drink before bed, is that you wake up in the middle of the night and have to pee! or just have to pee more in the morning!

*mind blown*
  • andrewkumala
    Options
    I find no problem with that, except you have to walk/slide/run to the bathroom. I am kind of lazy though XD
  • amymaria91
    Options
    Well after doing this I only get up to the toilet once during the night where as if I was awake I'd be going to the toilet a whole lot more! Made me think does the water stay in my body more if I go to sleep straight after drinking it. I know, a completely random stupid thought!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    the only downfall would be waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't..
    So long as the getting up doesn't bother you.. And also as long as you can fall back to sleep easily.
    I had a period of time where I woke up around 2am every night. Dr. said it was okay as long as I can fall back to sleep easily it won't bother me
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I often wondered how it would affect you weight on the scale in the morning? I weight in in Fridays and won't dring water too late the night before, is that stupid or what?
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I find no problem with that, except you have to walk/slide/run to the bathroom. I am kind of lazy though XD

oh god your not one of those pee in the bed guys!! rofl :devil:
  • amymaria91
    Options
    I often wondered how it would affect you weight on the scale in the morning? I weight in in Fridays and won't dring water too late the night before, is that stupid or what?

Well I'm an everyday weigher and the morning after I first did it the scale told me I'd put on 2 pounds (in 24 hours!) and I know all of that won't be the water but I wondered if it helped towards the gain
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Water before bed is a good idea..specially if you have had a meal long before.....I do it on most of the days. The days I dont drink water, I feel De-hydrated at night!
  • lizlee8
    lizlee8 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think the worst thing is havin' to get up to go to the toilet, which can be damaging because you're not getting a proper sleep. You need a solid 7-9 hours of "quality" sleep.
    http://www.webmd.boots.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-beginners-guide
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I take at least a litre of water to bed with me at night and enjoy it at intervals through the night. I used to be a 'snacker' so water works just fine! IT also helps hold off the hunger for breakfast so that I can do my workout on an empty stomach.
  • yokurio
    yokurio Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Well I'm an everyday weigher and the morning after I first did it the scale told me I'd put on 2 pounds (in 24 hours!) and I know all of that won't be the water but I wondered if it helped towards the gain

I gain and lose the same 5 lbs daily. But my fluctuation seems to be going down. I have a steady diet and focus on my sodium to ensure its not just water weight. I weightlift too (p90x), so my body is supposed to be fluctuating. Depending on how sore you are, you could gain weight because your muscles retain more water when they are being worked. No worries.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think the worst thing is havin' to get up to go to the toilet, which can be damaging because you're not getting a proper sleep. You need a solid 7-9 hours of "quality" sleep.

Hi

While I agree that having to get up in the middle of the night is not ideal, I can't agree that you need at least 7-9 hours sleep. I manage to survive just fine on something like 5-6 hours. And no, I am not continuously tired.

Of course, everybody is different :smile:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have 7-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep though. Getting up once or twice shouldn't be detrimental.

I wouldn't want to drink 2 liters of water in one go. Sounds like it would hurt your stomach. But if not, I would think it's fine.