Friends for "Friends sake"

Options
I had to do a little "cleanup" on my friends list. I get annoyed seeing constant updates from people that never reciprocate my support! That's what we are here for, and if you can't reciprocate, why are you taking up space on my friends list? This isn't Facebook, and some people think that it is, just "collecting" friends as if they will win a prize for the most friends on their list. Am I being too harsh, or does anybody FEEL ME???? Feedback please! Love to all those who support my journey!

Replies

• nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! Since most of the people on this site I don't know in real life, it does not bother me to remove them from my friends list if I cannot get the same support I give.
  • Chrissieneave
    Chrissieneave Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I feel the same, think a few need to go on mine! They requested me, but yet offer no support! This isn't Facebook, lol
  • twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    Options
    You're right, don't need friends just to accumulate them! The purpose is the motivation!
  • Chrissieneave
    Chrissieneave Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I feel the same, think a few need to go on mine! They requested me, but yet offer no support! This isn't Facebook, lol
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I hear you!! I've quietly removed many people whom I don't find encouraging or supportive (these are mainly the attention-seekers that receive all the interaction but don't give much outside of their own page). It doesn't take much to make a comment here or there...and since I don't KNOW these people in real life, there's no need for me to feel obligated to keep them on my list. I try to keep my list small so I am not overwhelmed with posts on my home page and I can still try to encourage each of my "friends". ;o)
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    No, we're not on here to make friends for friend's sake. We're on here to get support in our weight loss/maintaining journey. There's nothing wrong with that.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I agree with you... yes & no....

I mean, I have just over 100 friends & I don't comment on everyone's post every day... besides not all of them are posting things everyday, but are still logging in to MFP.

I think it's more of a community thing... I can see them posting their workouts & results and they can see mine.
    Even though I can't comment on everything, I do note everyone's progress and achievements.... which is when I comment.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I agree with you... yes & no....

I mean, I have just over 100 friends & I don't comment on everyone's post every day... besides not all of them are posting things everyday, but are still logging in to MFP.

I think it's more of a community thing... I can see them posting their workouts & results and they can see mine.
    Even though I can't comment on everything, I do note everyone's progress and achievements.... which is when I comment.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I like to blog. Some of my blogs get a lot of votes. If it's a particularly popular blog I can get up to 20 friend requests after posting -- especially when people see I've lost 100lbs. So I'm torn between looking like a snot for not accepting the friend request or looking like a snot because I accept it and then don't support the other person as much as they'd like. I've yet to figure out the best way to proceed other than taking my tickers off my posting profile. I very very rarely send out friend requests and I've stopped blogging which has helped.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Use the site however you want. If you don't want many friends, don't have them. I don't have time to comment on everything that comes through from my friends, but that in no way means I don't support them. I also have friends from other countries that log on while I am sleeping. I comment on things when I see them, but I can't go back through all of the posts made by everyone overnight and through the day. Do what works for you.
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You are so right. I probably have 6 friends on my list in total, but it doesn't bother me. You right, we all need support and if we cannot support each other, then what's the point of having you as a friend? Also, hate people who brag about how good and how well they are doing, but never says anything encouraging to you when you need it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If someone sends me a request, I'll accept. But I'm not very active on the walls and profiles, I'm active on the forums. There's different ways to give support, and I find it easier to keep track of forum threads and topics than wall posts that get buried and lost, or I'd have to constantly visit the profiles of those I commented on to see if they responded. If it was more like Facebook, where I'd get a notice on updates to my wall posts, that might be different.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I also accept most friends requests,and if they feel I dont interact with them enough then they are free to delete me. Im also more active on the forum.If you felt you needed to delete people thats fine your choice,but did you really have to put them on blast here? even if you didnt name names. This whole vent coudl have been done without calling out those you deleted:laugh:
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking the same thing and often delete people who dont log in a month but im thinking about making it 2 weeks but i do give support to people who actually workout and stuff so feel free to add me i need more friends who actually give support and not just log into there food and workout diary at the end of the day
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I delete someone nearly daily lol my reasons to delete someone will be

- they are pro ana/mia (I'm not and don't like those kind of status's)
    - they leave generic comments on my days - I might eat 20 cupcakes in one day and barely any real food and I get "well done, great day" - annoys me
    - they don't comment at all and just take up news feed space

Same time though I'll add anyone and it's nothing personal - I am on MFP for my own personal weight loss/maintanence journey and I'm here to be selfish and all about me. I have some MFP friends I love and am thank ful for but I don't want any of the above things

What suprises me though is when I delete someone and I get messages from them going "why did you delete me? Weren't we friends once? FINE BE THAT WAY" etc.
    It's not a personal thing, just weren't the kind of support I was looking for