Simple idea to stop nibbling in the evening...

...buy a tooth whitening kit!

They're not too expensive and it's very hard to nibble in the evening with the mouth tray in your mouth. My boyfriend is happy too as it stops me from talking during the film. And once my teeth are whitened I don't feel like messing them up by eating...

..genius.

Any more ideas anyone?

Replies

• eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    ...buy a tooth whitening kit!

They're not too expensive and it's very hard to nibble in the evening with the mouth tray in your mouth. My boyfriend is happy too as it stops me from talking during the film. And once my teeth are whitened I don't feel like messing them up by eating...

..genius.

Any more ideas anyone?

Great idea, but unfortunately I am not allowed to do that as it is detrimental to my enamel, such a shame!

Another idea is to drink fruit or herb tea...loads of it.

I still snack in the evening (or eat dinner late, more like) but I find this minimises my apetite somewhat....
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    This is a good idea in theory, but, yeah, those kits are uber expensive and they're not good to use long-term. I used to work in Health & Beauty in retail, and I would get an employee discount, so I became addicted to buying these $30 kits. My teeth looked great, but after a few months the sensitivity became so extreme.. the pain was too much to bear. I think I've done permanent damage from using them. That and lemon juice, as of late :/
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    fruit/herbal tea works for me
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 138 Member
    Cravings abound in the evening...So, I reserve 2 oz. of protein and VOILA IT STOPS!
  • This is a good idea in theory, but, yeah, those kits are uber expensive and they're not good to use long-term. I used to work in Health & Beauty in retail, and I would get an employee discount, so I became addicted to buying these $30 kits. My teeth looked great, but after a few months the sensitivity became so extreme.. the pain was too much to bear. I think I've done permanent damage from using them. That and lemon juice, as of late :/

Really??! I suppose the answer for me may be to just use the mouth tray on its own then... :laugh:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    how about exercising a little willpower?..like just deciding you aren't going to nibble in evenings and not doing it! :laugh:
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    How about planning ahead and saving a few calories for an evening snack? That's what I do if I know I'm having an early dinner. If dinner is going to be late I don't bother but if I eat an early dinner and don't have a snack then I wake up in the middle of the night starving and we all know where that'll get you...
  • Manicures are great...if I am just nibbly in the evening, but not really hungry, I paint my nails....works every time!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Haha Brilliant! For whiter than white pearly whites too!

I just east later on... (go to the gym after work for a couple of hours then fany about getting showered/doing laundry/cooking food) ...means less hours to snack in and less urge to do so before bed!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    on monday to friday i dont eat dinner before about 7:30pm so i dont really feel the need to snack after that. on weekends i have dinner abit earlier but always ensure i have enough calories leftover in case i need to snack
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Ooh like the painting nails one! And yes of course we like the willpower attitude but sometimes if something physically can stop you, then make it easier on yourself! Especially as most people have exercised their will power for most of the day! Facemasks too...so your face is so concrete that you can't open your mouth! Talking on the phone, Going on a walk away from the shops taking no food... sewing/cross stitch... all the distractions.
    On the note about will power... If you live alone and have loads of "mates" but few friends... exercising will power and self control can be hard, especially in places where there is a lot of peer pressure to drink/go out/eat crap food... Unfortunately, if you do integrate - you fall in this trap or exercising will power you can be mocked and even shunned and classed as "boring", If you don't mingle, you have no mates, live in your room for the working week and have to find distractions from food... hence my mega workouts.
  • WILL-what???!!!

Seriously - I have lots of willpower I just get very hungry...! If I do a long run in the day then I have to eat with the kids otherwise I starve. But then I get hungry again later on. The answer really is to go to bed but I often stay up late working as I work form home.

Never mind - I'll get there. And some great thoughts...

:happy:
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    WILL-what???!!!

Seriously - I have lots of willpower I just get very hungry...! If I do a long run in the day then I have to eat with the kids otherwise I starve. But then I get hungry again later on. The answer really is to go to bed but I often stay up late working as I work form home.

Never mind - I'll get there. And some great thoughts...

:happy:

Hmmm, I f you are hungry, you should eat something. Why not save some calories to have an evening snack?
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    I love this advice! :happy: Willpower? Puh-lease... If I had the willpower to just "resist" then I wouldn't have been in that mess to start with :blushing: hehe But no, really, willpower is great! Good for you!

Simply brushing my teeth usually works for me since it makes food taste really weird afterwards... that and crafting. If I start on a crafting project, I can't stop. I get so caught up in my hot glue gun that I forget to snack. Yay!
  • CraftHer
    CraftHer Posts: 30 Member
    My willpower is rarely more powerful than my will to eat once it hits me so I have some other strategies.

Things I do is talk to my husband or my sister and tell him/her I'm trying not to eat. Then I won't eat while talking to him/her and they keep me strong until it passes. I will do a craft project like sewing or quilting, take a walk, take a nap, condition my hair, chew cinannom gum or eat mints. Anything to keep my hands occupied or my taste buds "non-food" busy.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    i always make sure i have calories left to have a late night dessert. It keeps me sane. I love the down time after my kids go to bed, and relax with a bowl of ice cream, or greek yogurt with cheescake, sugar free, pudding stirred in. I am losing weight at an average of 1.9 pounds a week, so it hasn't slowed my weight loss down yet. Then you don't feel deprived either, which can soon break your determination to stick with losing weight.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    How about planning ahead and saving a few calories for an evening snack? That's what I do if I know I'm having an early dinner. If dinner is going to be late I don't bother but if I eat an early dinner and don't have a snack then I wake up in the middle of the night starving and we all know where that'll get you...

^ This, although I save almost all my calories for evening. Very much personal preference on this one and takes a little adjusting but after doing this for a few days it sure becomes awesome. Last night I had 1600 calories between 7 and 9pm. Felt awesome.
  • I buy the Cadbury's low fat choc pots and use them as a chocolate dip for fruit (whatever is in season). Great snack, very satisfying and low cal/fat. Works for me!
  • erinnhamil2n
    erinnhamil2n Posts: 28 Member
    I save 40 calories for my evening chocolate craving. Posicle brand makes 40 calorie no sugar fudgies, that taste really good.

If I am still jonesing after that I brush my teeth. Who likes to eat right after you have brushed?
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    I too have eveining munchies, i always curb that with some herbal or decaf tea and some protien like PB. I make sure every day to save the room for it so I always can have it. I have also discovered the minor miracle of uncooked corn starch, eaten raw it can help with maintaining level blood sugar for up to 9 hours!! I eat it every day now and it has helped. mix it in pudding or yogurt, pb or anything cold, its an odd texture but worth it to me.

http://www.extendsnacks.com/pdf/health_clinical5.pdf

Another thing to consider is the same pang for hunger is the same pang for thirst. have something warm to drink it might help. warm drinks are consumed slowly and can satisfy better.

my evening snack: two 8 oz cups of tea with a bit of milk and 1 tbsp of pb and 1/2 tbsp of nutella (if craving sweet) i never wake up hungry.