How to push yourself?

Options
Yesterday at the gym was my first day back on the Elliptical (weapon of choice). I took it easy on myself and I'm feeling bad about it.

How do you motivate yourselves to push harder? :/

Replies

• Rob_Sarge
    Rob_Sarge Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, Push yourself hard enough to where your body says it's enough
  • gingerclaire
    gingerclaire Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I tend to find when I'm exercising with other people I work harder, I'm too soft on myself and when I exercise alone I tend to give up easily. If I go to the gym with my partner we can be on different machines at a different pace but I am consciously exercising harder as I would hate for them to look up at the moment when I'm not working hard enough and think I'm not giving it a good go.

Also, that's why I go to Zumba classes. Exercising in a class tires me out as I feel I can't 'give up'.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Set small goals for yourself. Whether it be 'I'm gonna make it 5 more minutes!' or 'I need two more reps!' Never stop challenging yourself, you'd be surprised how resilient the human body is at repairing and rebuilding itself. Make sure your getting a good nights sleep each night. Also, ensure that your feeding your body simple carbs prior to your workout and complex carbs post workout.
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I use an elliptical a lot. Usually at least an hour every evening since cold weather and daylight savings time. I alternate between cardio and just seeing how far I can go in an hour. And then i use a resistance program on the elliptical and see how far i can go on that program. I keep upping the ante a little bit and have started tracking. I also use a heart rate monitor.
  • Biggipooh
    Options
    Yesterday at the gym was my first day back on the Elliptical (weapon of choice). I took it easy on myself and I'm feeling bad about it.

How do you motivate yourselves to push harder? :/

I listen to fast music, that makes me go faster....
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    The harder you workout, the less time you need to be there... I try doing 3 minutes at level 15, 2 at level 16 repeats to get my heart rate up... and whilst I'm there think of all the random **** going off in my life... good and bad... and just figure it all out...and voila... workout complete!
  • maaadde
    maaadde Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I try to visualize what I want to look like and it keeps me going, cos I know every step I'm taking (I usually run) is one step closer to that version of me! Vanity is the **** ;)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I feel great after
    I burn more calories
    It's good for my body

:)
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    3 things for me: 1) Motivational/aggresive music 2) Setting personal goals 3) Making the fat loss a "must have" not a nice to have thing.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, I push too hard when I had a pt he always made me reduce the intensity and do beneficial but low intensity stuff - I always thought a PT was supposed to push you!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM so I try to control my heart rate and make sure I do a good warm-up then gradually push it up and up, makes you aware that you need to work harder and I also like to see the calories I've burned so I know If I need to do more. oh yeah and have goals for yourself. like since you love the elliptical (I do to) I try and crank up the resistance every 5-10 minutes by 1-2 points, so little things like that. good music and maybe a friend if you're lucky enough complete any good workout
  • Jedibeau
    Options
    My motivation is food. The harder work out the more calories burned, the more I get to eat that day (healthy food of course)! I eat back at least 50% of my exercise calories though. Somedays I burn so much that I couldn't eat them all back without stuffing myself.
  • kellystjohn88
    kellystjohn88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    have someone go with you! Im kind of competitive and with a friend you can push each other!
  • kellystjohn88
    kellystjohn88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    have someone go with you! Im kind of competitive and with a friend you can push each other!
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I am motivated to push myself when exercising because I want my time to really count! I aim to get my heartrate up and my music choice can really help with that! I also want to burn more calories so I can eat more calories!! I'm 5' tall and don't get many, so I want to "earn" more!
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It usually is me pushing myself and making my time working out count! I am sore afterwords. It helps working out with others.. you get inspired!