Hunger pangs lessening

Options
I started a diet about a week ago...am restricting myself to 1,200 calories. At first I was starving and hungry all the time! Now I almost never get hunger pangs. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing?

I wonder if it is because my stomach shrunk or I just don't notice them anymore?

Replies

• Divatime
    Options
    I've noticed this before. I try to eat healthy snack thoughout the day and this helps. When I don't do it I suffer. I also make sure I eat something for breakfast. I snack on things such as apples, carrots, almonds, low sodium v8, etc and drinking a whole lot of water helps as well! :smile:
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I think its more likely you can now differentiate between true hunger - cravings and desire for food and if you have increased your water intake you are also no longer confusing hunger and thirst

be proud you can now tell the difference that will be a significant help as the diet continues :):)
  • tsamples23
    tsamples23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started 17 days ago, I noticed the same thing, at first I was hungry like crazy, but now I am getting used to it. I'm still losing weight so it must be working.
  • Art63
    Art63 Posts: 87
    Options
    Good for you for trying to lose weight but 1200 a day seems awfully low. Do you really think you need to go that low? That doesn't answer your question about lessened hunger issues but I can't address that since I am trying to eat around 1800 a day and that's hard for me. Hey, have you clicked on that BMR in the Tools section to see what your body needs just to stay alive? Good luck to you.
  • softsculptor
    Options
    Judging from your chart, you've lost quite a bit already! Congrats!
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough protein, fiber, and healthy fats. I found that adding lots of fresh veggies and some nuts really helped my hunger. Also, you have to accept that your body was used to consuming more, so when you consume less your body's going to be like "WTF?" for a while. It takes time to adjust, so for now I'd say as long as you're meeting all your targets just accept that the hunger is part of the process.

Oh, and drink lots of water.
  • judy20in2011
    judy20in2011 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was hungry a lot at first too. I had to really increase fiber and trial and error with other foods to see what kept me full longer. (Yogurt does NOTHING for me when I am hungry!) Also, you will be hungry to some degree b/c you weren't used to eating for energy, fuel. If you were eating a lot more throughout the day you are now re-training your body for appropriate serving size as well as amount throughout the day. Some days I still am hungrier than others, I chalk it up to metabolism variances as well as my own activity level and hormonal levels! If I go over on my calories a little bit I am not going to stress about it. I figure my body is telling me something!