P90X Lean or Classic? What to do?

Options
I'm so confused about what route to go regarding P90X. I bought it last year but shelved it because I couldn't get passed the first twenty minutes. After that I decided to do Hip Hop Abs (which btw was awesome), I lost 15 pounds in 5 weeks.. I basically hit my goal. Now what..? I'm debating whether to do P90X Lean or Classic; BUT I'm terrified of doing Classic because I can't even do ten pushups.

I'm 18, 150lbs, 5'10... no upper or lower body strength, I have a sorta flat stomach but my arms are flabby.. thighs are kinda big; I want to be slim and muscular NOT bulky.

What should I do? Any suggestions are good suggestions.

Replies

• cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    DO LEAN, THATS WHAT I am doing its a bit easier then Ill do classic after.
  • Jennerith
    Jennerith Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged- Tony would tell you just try. If you can only do one push up, try and do two, and then skip to the next exercise. You have to start somewhere. I like lean, because it's more cardio. But either is better than nothing. I can't even do one pull up, but I hang from that bar, and I try! Eventually, you get better! Don't give up before you start!
  • MobileRanger
    Options
    Do the classic workout. It's exactly what you need to build that upper body up. Tony shows you how to modify the moves if you are just starting off. Just go at your pace. Do you best and forget the rest. I couldn't do a single pull up when I started, and by the time I finished the P90X I was doing 85 to 90 on pull up days (over half where unassisted freestyle).
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go with Classic. It is more geared towards strength. Your ten pushups are more than many people have been able to do on the first day. Don't get frustrated with what you can't do. Concentrate on what you can do. P90X is about doing what you can now and doing better the next time. I'm starting a thread for my next round of P90X will start on 11/28. You should join us. I already have others that are starting their first round too.

I found that having a group that I could post to made all the difference. I saw that others were struggling with the same moves. I got better and so did they. You don't really build large amounts of bulk on P90X. You can get leaner and have better muscle definition for sure though. When you want to gain mass, you up the weights and lower the reps.
  • CBranson0503
    Options
    I am going to start P90X soon too. Ten months ago I was in the same boat as you. Not overweight, but flabby. I was terrified of P90X. So I signed up for some piloxing classes at my gym to get back into shape. Then about four months ago I started do strength training and working with weights with a personal trainer twice a week. I am amazed at how much stronger I am. I went from someone that could do one push up (unless on my knees) to being able to do twenty (not on my knees). While I might not be P90X ready, I love the improvements I am seeing.
    I understand that a personal trainer is not an option for everyone, but there are plenty of free resources out there for strength trainer exercises. Two websites I like a lot are fitbie.msn.com and fitlink.com. They have a lot of free workout and diet programs on fitbie and fitlink has a lot of good (& free) workout routines.
    Hope that helps!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ripptoe's Starting Strength
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    someone has to say it.....Do your Best, forget the rest!!!!
  • tdvogl
    tdvogl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do things on your level with P90X. Do what you can with push ups. Try the knees for more reps. ALWAYS keep good form. Your strength will build up after time. Use weights that make you "burn" and don't worry about the rest. Use the bands or a chair for the pull up bar.

As far as the lean or classic? Well, either is fine. But you will be surprised how much you will like what you see with consistency. The mirror test will let you know, not to mention others' positive comments, on how your shoulders are filling out etc. Btw, P90X is not totally there to shred you or BULK you up. It is a program to help grow lean muscle which will keep your body running better. Lean muscle looks great on any body. Again, at your "burn" rate or level is best. Good luck. I am sure it will go fine!
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Either one is a start. You may not be able to get through each workout, but trying is the key. I recently started the Lean version and I struggle to get through each video every time I do it. But I try, and that's all anyone can do. I think as time progresses it will become easier. Good luck to you and have fun!
  • manvsfood
    manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    DO LEAN, THATS WHAT I am doing its a bit easier then Ill do classic after.

How's lean going? Is it kicking your butt? I think I'll probably start with lean then move on to classic.
  • manvsfood
    Options
    Don't be discouraged- Tony would tell you just try. If you can only do one push up, try and do two, and then skip to the next exercise. You have to start somewhere. I like lean, because it's more cardio. But either is better than nothing. I can't even do one pull up, but I hang from that bar, and I try! Eventually, you get better! Don't give up before you start!

Thanks, I think I will start with more cardio -- Lean; then move on to Classic.
  • manvsfood
    Options
    I would definitely go with Classic. It is more geared towards strength. Your ten pushups are more than many people have been able to do on the first day. Don't get frustrated with what you can't do. Concentrate on what you can do. P90X is about doing what you can now and doing better the next time. I'm starting a thread for my next round of P90X will start on 11/28. You should join us. I already have others that are starting their first round too.

I found that having a group that I could post to made all the difference. I saw that others were struggling with the same moves. I got better and so did they. You don't really build large amounts of bulk on P90X. You can get leaner and have better muscle definition for sure though. When you want to gain mass, you up the weights and lower the reps.

That's great.. I'd love to join you guys. Support is great when starting a new exercise and I need alot of it.
  • cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Ohhh its hard! I was pretty sore for 3 days. I already feel stronger and I am only day 4.