What are you doing on Thanksgiving??

Options
So, next Thursday for all us Amercian's out there is Thanksgiving. It has always been my favorite holiday of the year because you can eat as much as you want and nobody will or can say anything. We make large amounts of heavy carb and calorie foods and stuff ourselves then veg in front of the TV to watch football or family holiday movies. And, lets not forget the desserts! Yum!

Now, I'm sitting here stuck as to what am I going to do?! Luckily I don't have to make large amounts this year since we have decided to eat at home just the four of us this year but still WHAT AM I GOING TO DO!? I love this holiday and I have no clue as to what kinds of healthy subsitutes I can eat.

I always eat candied yams, mashed potatoes w/ gravey, stuffing, rolls, dressing and turkey. Then pumpkin pie for dessert. What do you all normaly eat and what do think this year you will replace or change the recipe. The Turkey is staying, lol.

Replies

• dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    we have a big breakfast at my house too! this way my family can spend some time together (dad, sisters, nephews, neice etc) and then we all go our separate ways for the big dinner.......double doozy!

check out skinnytaste.com for some great ideas
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm having my two daughters, son-in-law and granddaughter (5 months old) over for dinner. I will count my calories as I do every other day of the week. Since I will be on my feet from morning til dawn I will most likely burn more calories than I do on a typical day sitting at the office at a computer desk.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat what I want and enjoy every unhealthy bite of it. Its one day.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My husband and I will go for a long morning hike in Shenandoah National Park. Then, we'll come home and make homemade pizzas, drink wine and watch movies.

We skip the traditional 'turkey and all the trimmings' meal so we can focus on making the day relaxing and low key. It's nice!

Honestly, I've never been a low-calorie dieter, so fitting an occasional lavish meal into my day has never really been an issue. If I did eat traditional Thanksgiving, I would probably just enjoy everything I liked in moderate portion sizes, accept that I *may* go over calories, and get on with life. :-)
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    The hubby and kids and I head to my parents for dinner.
    My sister is making whole wheat rolls and using whole wheat pasta in the mac and cheese for me. I will eat the white turkey breast meat...already informed my mother I would be bringing my own baked sweet potato...I will eat the green beans..I will bring whole wheat rice to have instead of stuffing..and yes...I will eat the pumpkin pie with a smile on my face :)
    Portion control baby :)
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I'm eating! I'll still log everything for my records... but I'm going to be extra good all week hopefully so the damage won't be as bad. Then, friday morning I'm gonna be right back on it.
  • mrimike
    mrimike Posts: 139
    Options
    I'm going to hike my tail off all morning, pretending to hunt, so I can enjoy a little extra at the dinner table with my family:)
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I will be eating everything I want to eat. It is one day a year.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    oh..and Im also doing a 5k turkey trot that morning :) My opinion...everyone should that day :)
  • patecake58
    Options
    I'm going to family's but i'm bringing sugar free apple pie that i'm making with splenda and making a vegetable dish using thawed broccoli/low fat cream of mushroom soup/shredded cheddar cheese and sprinkled with wheat germ instead of bread crumbs, eating TURKEY. I had gastric bypass surgery in June so this will be my first real holiday and I plan on just eating protein and veggies...where there's the will there's the way! Happy Thanksgiving to all!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'll be eating disturbing amounts of everything and topping it off with a downright selfish amount of pumpkin pie with ice cream. Afterwards, I'll lay on the floor and grunt. When I get home, I'll not log anything nor will I give two sh*ts about any of it.

Resume logging the following day and act like it didn't happen.
  • elissascotland
    elissascotland Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    oh..and Im also doing a 5k turkey trot that morning :) My opinion...everyone should that day :)

What a great idea!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind one day of overeating, but I really can't do it anymore without feeling terrible afterward... stomach hurting, bloated, tired... not worth it. So I will eat less than I have in other years, but I'm not changing anything other than portion sizes.
  • debcoffman
    Options
    I have learned to cut back on the amount of brown sugar in my pumpkin pie mix. Since pumpkin is sweet anyway, I only use 1/4 cup to a pie. And

They have toffee flavored stevia 0 cal sweetener drops...I am going to try that this year in my sweet potatoes and see what happens..

:)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I will be eating everything I want to eat. It is one day a year.

This. You can't do THAT much damage in one day.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is by far my FAVORITE holiday. Love it!

I'm gonig to get in my son's car and drive 13 hours to his Naval base with a traditional Thanksgiving dinner in the trunk to share with him and his Navy buddies. ("Um, Mom, there will be between 6-12 people." I love him! Yeah, 6-12 ... not much different in my planning!!! Grin.)

I'm going to focus on enjoying the company more than the food, but will certainly enjoying my mom's noodles she's making for me to take. I'm going to enjoy watching the "boys" squirt whipped cream in their mouths more than I'm going to enjoy squirting it on my half slice of pumpkin pie.

I'm school-girl giddish over this opportunity. I don't know any of the guys/girls I'm going to meet as he's pretty much just started his A school, but I know for sure I will look back on the day with fond memories for years to come.

Oh, yeah, on Friday I'm going for an extra long run.
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    I'm going to eat what I want and enjoy every unhealthy bite of it. Its one day.

What she said... ENJOY THIS DAY!!!
  • bhaktinstella
    bhaktinstella Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    no seconds! and smaller portions of everything, but i will definitely HAVE everything, even dessert! a small slice of pumpkin pie tastes JUST as good as a big piece! Log it all and move on to Friday as usual!
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    first im doing a 4 mile Gobbler Run in the am so im burning some calories and getting my metabolism started for the day. Then im cooking the Turkey and other sides to take to my in laws house for Lunch. Most of the sides i make are low in calories or sugars and i do try to cook healthy. I keep in mind that whatever i eat, i make sure i can burn it off the next day. Yes its only 1 day that i can splurge, but i know my body and even if its 1 day, it takes 2-3 days to drop the weight and i usually will feel miserable if i over indulge
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Doing a turkey trot in am. Cooking a turkey and all the fixings, making healthy foods and regular sinful foods. And on this day of spending time with my family and being thankful for all things..I will be enjoying all the foods without guilt! gobble gobble-But right back to healthy norm day after.
    Happy Thanksgiving all;-)