How do I eat less sodium

Options
when everything seems to have sodium in it? Sheesh...I am trying to cook from scratch as much as possible, though I had been eating steamfresh veggies and grilled chicken strips for lunch. I do not add salt to anything I cook, use Mrs Dash, and other herbs for flavor. But in looking back at my diary, I am way over my sodium most days!

So, how do you do it? What are your go to foods? How do you feed your family, and still keep your sodium down?

Sheri

Replies

• udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Less processed foods. I have really started to watch my sodium and have read several articles, and have noticed if I am not preparing it myself from scratch the sodium is out of control.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I don't. That's how i do it, hahaha. I don't.
    I'm always over on sodium.
    I just make sure that I don't put EXTRA salt on anything I eat, but really, I don't concern myself with it. Sodium will NOT make you gain "fat weight" it makes you gain "fake weight". It'll show on the scale (because you're retaining water & you're bloated) but its' not "real weight" that you've put on. Therefore, I don't even concern myself with being under on sodium. Just refrain from putting extra salt on your fries, potatoes, in soups, etc.

It's hard to avoid, it really is.
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat anything from a box, and I eat all my veggies completely fresh, no cans or bagged veggie for me, unless its salad or fresh baby spinach ;)
  • e1izab3th2
    e1izab3th2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Stay away from frozen foods, canned foods, lunch meats, hot dogs...any processed foods. Pretty much don't go into the aisles of grocery stores and stay on the parameter where all the fresh foods are.
  • Slugsasarus
    Slugsasarus Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Anything canned or frozen is going to have a lot of sodium because it's a preservative. Stick to fresh fruits and veggies...and try making your own soups/pastas and what not...you'll cut down on sodium big time!

Also...cut out fast food! Seriously, it's pure sodium and fat! Try making your own or opting for a salad :) it's hard at first, but you can do it!
  • rubystar07
    rubystar07 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to do it in moderation. Our bodies do need sodium, and a lot of foods naturally have sodium in them.

Are you eating any prepacked foods at all? I tried to peak at your diary but couldn't see it. I would suggest looking at the full day and seeing which items were highest in sodium and if they are "healthy" foods or things you could live without.

I just looked back at my diary and noticed that of the things I eat the following were my regular sources of sodium: bread (whole wheat), egg whites (no salt added), yogurt, cottage cheese, hummus, pita, milk. So there are all whole foods and have sodium.
  • hello dear, you should try http://www.alsosalt.com/ its pretty dang close to the real thing (:
    also try http://www.waldenfarms.com/ for AMAZINGGGGGG dressings and dips with 0 calories. <3
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    looking at your diary I would say its all down to the amount of processed foods you are eating

I very rarely eat any processed foods - I do treat myself sometimes to a cookie or bag of chips but all main meals are made at home by me so I know exactly what goes into the foods
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Sodium is not bad for you
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Less processed food. I made a home-made chicken noodle soup yesterday, total for the container (6 bowls) is 800mg of salt... that's less than a can of condensed soup that makes 2 bowls.
    If it comes from a box or a can (and sometimes a bag of frozen veggies will have salt added for some reason) you're going to need to watch the salt.. bread? pasta?...
    If you have to peel it yourself it's going to have less salt.

Definitely don't add salt to anything, I did for a long time just out of habit, always saw dad going shake shake shake till it looked like it had snowed on his plate for all the salt on it, finally stopped adding salt and almost everything I eat is plenty "salty tasting"
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and it's pretty obvious that most of the sodium is coming from packaged foods, fast food, and cheese. Just reduce your intake of those items and you should be fine. Cooking from scratch doesn't have to be a big production, and nearly everyone can fit it into their schedule.
  • akgrl1020
    Options
    I had to really become a label reader. Anything that is even slightly processed seems to have an abundance of sodium added. I had to ditch processed foods, and make everything from the whole food. I also keep my breakfast and lunch to almost no added sodium, allowing for the extra at dinner, when I prepare for the family. Baked goods and processed meats are pretty high. Canned goods are, too, so rinse them when possible, and always look for low sodium versions. I can usually keep mine under 1500 a day, but it takes some dedication. Good luck!
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Cheese seems to be your big sodium killer. If you like swiss, it is one of the lowest sodium ones out there. Any frozen dinner, meal will be loaded with extra sodium. Also, deli meats are super high.
    My husband watches his sodium like a hawk. Needless to say, we spend a lot of time at the store comparing different brands to find the lowest sodium; be it tortillas, salsa, cheese or meats.
    Good luck. His diary is open if you want ideas (scschenk).
    Ang
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Since there are just two of us I rely on frozen veggies so they don't go bad before we can eat them, but read labels carefully. I find the store brands tend to not have as high a sodium count. I also buy ingredients rather than meals, and I find if I make something like beans, I can make enough to get two meals. It does take a bit of planning, but you save calories, fat, sodium and money.
  • SheriG9
    Options
    Yes, I had been using frozen veggies, because I am in college full time, and raising nine beautiful children, so very busy. I didn't realize that frozen veggies have sodium added, but was thinking they were more or less like fresh. I stopped using canned veggies, except for rare occasions.

I am struggling to not eat fast food, and will continue to avoid it. I think I will go clean out my kitchen, and get rid ofas much salt laden food as I can. It isn't good for my weight loss efforts, nor is it good for my husband, and children.

Anyone have a good low sodium recipe site?
    Sheri
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Stick with as much fresh veg, fruit, etc as possible. Keep an eye on foods that say "low fat" too, they often replace the fat with sodium. I either make my own or get the full fat and use less. I find the flavor is stronger, so I use less. Processed foods are full of sodium, such as rice dishes, dressings, sauces, lunch meats.
    Your body needs a certain amount of sodium, but most Americans consume way more than we need.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Donate some of what you're getting rid of if it's usable.

When you DO go after recipes just pay attention, I still get a kick out of the number of recipes that specifically tell you to use UNsalted butter but then have you adding salt in a later step anyway... I just use the salted butter I have and skip the added salt, end result is the same.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It's a tough one. For some folks sodium is a killer, and for others it is not. I have cut my sodium on average from 3500 to 2000 and the blood pressure meds are almost not needed. For others it makes them retain water, and seemingly for others it doesn't matter.

There are lots of low sodium products available. IE: Tomato products, canned foods, and stuff like cottage cheese. Some of them taste like crap, and others it is hard to notice. You can try them. As already noted, fast food, and processed meats are really bad. Some cheeses are loaded, read the labels!

2000-2500 is what my nutritionist recommended, and it seems to have a positive effect.

You'll find that it is the same for carbs, and protein, each person responds differently. Carbs are a killer for me - even the good ones.

Good luck.
  • prairiemom
    prairiemom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure is extremely high so I have had to become a sodium "freak". It takes me hours to grocery shop but I have been able to cut my sodium down to about 1500 mg a day. Here's some of what I have found:

-Canned beans & vegetables both have unsalted varieties
    -tomatoes and tomatoes sauce both have unsalted kinds (tomato paste as well)
    -greek yogurt is lower in sodium than regular yogurt.
    -there's a brand of sweet potato chips that have no sodium
    -superstore has a blue menu margarine that is unsalted
    swiss cheese is way lower that all the others (I love cheese so I checked)
    -there are a few frozen meals that are around 400mg but you really have to search those out
    -eats lots of potassium rich food such as: potatoes and fruit ( especially bananas)
    -for snack I have found several trail mixes that have little or no sodium you just have to watch how much you eat.
    -i found a really good snack cracker at dollarama that is low fat and sodium
    -a couple of renees dressing are 1/2 the sodium of regular dressings
    -uncooked pasta is very low in sodium if you dont had salt to the water and what the sauces you use
    -there are a couple of blue menu sandwick meats that are good as well (chicken and turkey)

Hope some of these help. If you need more help you can message me.
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    Yes, I had been using frozen veggies, because I am in college full time, and raising nine beautiful children, so very busy. I didn't realize that frozen veggies have sodium added, but was thinking they were more or less like fresh. I stopped using canned veggies, except for rare occasions.

I am struggling to not eat fast food, and will continue to avoid it. I think I will go clean out my kitchen, and get rid ofas much salt laden food as I can. It isn't good for my weight loss efforts, nor is it good for my husband, and children.

Anyone have a good low sodium recipe site?
    Sheri

actually the "frozen veggies" that you are using have cheese sauce.
    :/
    fresh frozen vegetables dont have added sodium.
    easy enough to put a cup of broccoli and a cup of cauliflower in a tupperware container and take it. get some ground turkey, season it with mrs dash and MEASURE it into 4-ounce patties...fry in no stick oil and put that in the container too.... microwave it in the school cafeteria. if you pack a week's worth of to-go meals, you will know exactly whats in them and how much.
    as far as the fast food goes, there are choices besides the burger and fries on most menus, if those dont fit into your daily meal plan, which you should have so you dont go into your day blindly. you have to know what you are going to eat so you can plan for it...on the rare occasion when i forget to pack something to take, i have cans of salmon and tuna at work...they arent what i had in mind for that day, but they are on my plan and i can sub them in if needed.
    the tortillas arent your friend either...not enough nutrition for the calories/carbs/sodium. i would discontinue them and find something else, like lettuce leaves, if you have to have a wrap of some sort (but its messy) or just cut them out altogether.
    your calorie total seems a little high for weight loss....do you have an exercise program in place?