My first race

Options
I'm doing a 4 mile race on Thanksgiving. I'd never thought I could run a mile let alone FOUR! I've been preparing for the last 8 weeks and feel pretty comfortable completing 3 of those miles jogging. I REALLY want to jog the entire race, however I'm a little nervous with the race only being six days away. Any suggestions on how to add an additional mile in that little of time?

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Slow your pace down, going from 3-4 shouldn't be too difficult.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine. if you can run three miles, you can run four miles. like the great yogi berra said "half this game is 90 percent mental."

however, if you really, really want to, go on google maps and map out a 5 mile course. go out, and run that course. when you get home, pat yourself on the back, and shout out "I GOT THIS!!!"
  • yeroc39
    Options
    I would agree that if you run 3 miles you can run 4. I wouldn't do anything drastic at this point, especially not run 5 miles a week before a 4 mile race when the most you have run is 3. That's how people get hurt, or affect your finish on race day. Just trust the 3 miles and your will to finish. People make most of their training mistakes in the last 2 weeks of their training, either trying to make up for lost workouts or gain extra mileage. The idea is to go into the race fresh. You should actually be doing a little bit of taper a couple days before.

So just trust that your desire to finish, the adrenaline from running your first race, and the great experience of having people around you during the race will get you through.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    maybe you could plan in a couple of recovery sessions during the race? that way instead of ending up walking the whole last mile (which might not even happen with all of the adrenaline and excitement and people!) you would be sure to have some power left for the last mile. best of luck to you!
  • brigbug
    Options
    May seem like easier said than done, but just run. Make sure you watch your pace and don't go out to fast. Everything from there is mental. I just ran my first 10K and the furthest I had run is 5 miles prior to that. Enjoy the race and don't think too much about it. You will do great!
  • OnieBee
    Options
    Thank you all! Already feel pumped! I was hoping the momentum from fellow runners would help carry me through the hard parts.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Those who train for marathons never run the full 26.2 during their training, and most are able to run the whole thing. A race evvironment is so much different than training and all the adrenaline you're gonna be pumping at the race will get you through! Good luck!
  • RuninGirlCas
    RuninGirlCas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congrats on training for your first race! I agree with everyone else do not try to squeeze in more miles just keep doing light runs. You wouldn't want to injure yourself right before the big day. The adrenalin and excitement of race day will help, I promise.
    Good luck!
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Being able to run 3 mi and the adrenaline from the race environment will get you through the fourth mile. Just be careful not to start too fast because of all the excitement. Run your normal pace and you will make it. Just remember to have fun.
  • dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Like johnny_k said, make sure you don't start off too fast! It's really tempting to try and match pace with the people around you, but it messes up your endurance later. Just stick with the pace you've trained at, and enjoy the race! Even if you end up walking some of it, you've still got a great accomplishment to be proud of! Good luck!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I'm signed up for my first 5k on Thanksgiving and have been dreading not being able to do it. Alas, I suck on the treadmill, but once I get outside I can run a lot more. I can do the 3.1 miles just fine and actually did something like 4.8 on Sunday and was not winded/exhausted. I think it's the fact that I can adjust my pace as my body needs outside plus there is all the nice things to look at.

Good luck!
  • cathyjoy76
    cathyjoy76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've only done 4 5K's, so this is all new to me, too. Aside from the advice & encouragement already given here, I have to tell you running WITH sooo many people is so much easier, it seems effortless, it's fun & exciting... The trick I used last time(Nov4) was I picked someone about 20-30 feet in front of me, and I tried to pass them. An iPod helps tremendously, too.

Good luck & have FUN!
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    if you are running 3 miles now, on race day 4 shouldn't be a problem at all. You get ramped up with all the other runners going and adrenaline is flowing. Great job training....you'll do great
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Don't start out too fast. Run your own race and don't get caught up with the faster pace of some of the other runners. Start near the back of the pack. Walk in the water stations and sip some water. Going to 4 miles from 3 will be a piece of cake. Good luck!