HUGE potluck today......

Options
Today at work the entire unit is having a HUGE thanksgiving potluck...the boss deep fried a turkey and brought pies and all sorts of yummy goodies....;.how do I resist? I don't want to ruin my progress! Send me willpower vibes! :)

Replies

• kendrafagan
    Options
    I have the same obstacles with family outings, birthday parties, and potlucks, Oh My!!!
    It may sound crazy, but if you don't want to eat too many calories while you are there, I recommend that you eat first before you go so you aren't hungry. Then you can just have a "taste". You can eat a big salad before you go and drink a lot of water then at least your eyes won't get the best of you when you see all that food. This is what works for me.
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    portion control. only get a small amount on your plate and when you are done go back to your desk. That is what i did last week with our potluck.
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    just think of all the fat, sodium, and bad things inside those things. Oh, and how bad you feel after you splurge. It's okay to have a little taste, but don't go all Tazmanian Devil on the buffet! Good luck :)
  • sunnybrunette126
    sunnybrunette126 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    portion control. only get a small amount on your plate and when you are done go back to your desk. That is what i did last week with our potluck.

My holiday luncheon is in a few weeks and I plan on doing exactly this. Too much temptation if you are around it.

Portion it out and then walk away! :)
  • jimgould1
    jimgould1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just think of how good you will feel in 2 hours knowing you resisted the temptation to overeat. I agree take a small taste but then head back to your desk or away from the food
  • mrshuerta11
    Options
    you can do it!!! We had a potluck at work for Halloween and it was SO hard, but i resisted. You can too!!!
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    As stated before portion control is key if you want to eat. Just be true to yourself and track what is eaten. If it were me, I wouldn't be able to resist the entire time. A bite of this and a bite of that. You will be able to get a taste of the goodies but at the same time not indulging too much! You can also add a workout this evening and lots of water. Good luck!
  • abrown4348
    abrown4348 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation at my job. My finance told me to keep in mind that you don't know how clean people are in their own houses and what if they didn't wash their hands before they prepared all this food you're about to eat. That kept me away! :laugh:
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend suggested I visualize "Dirty man hands" (you know, un-washed after using the restroom, etc) preparing and fingering all the food before I even look at it.

I also like the giant salad and lots of water suggestion above. Good luck. You can do this.
  • BarbiNay
    BarbiNay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Take a taste of everything you want. Eat slowly and talk. That way you are social and do not stand out as "dieting" or not eating. Pick up more of the healthy things such as the vegetables or fruits but watch the dips. You might even search out a bowl or small plate to eat on instead of a large one. Then you won't eat as much. Good luck! This is a tough time of year for everyone!
  • alblackburn
    alblackburn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Jacole, when I look at something tempting I ask myself "How much running do I have to do to work that off?" I end up not eating it! It just isn't worth it! I am planning on amping up my running this week so I can splurge a little at Thanksgiving!