How often should you exercise? I am new to all of this!

Options
Hi there! I am fairly new to this whole "exercise" thing (I used to think it a curse word). I starting doing Tae Bo for 30 minutes and am aiming at doing it three times a week. Then I read I should be doing resistance training three times a week as well. My question is: should I do Tae Bo (30 minutes) every other day and resistance training (20 minutes) every other day and take Sundays off? Is that a good plan? Too much? Not enough? Help!!!

BTW, I have been counting calories and mostly walking - I have done Tae Bo only twice so far (brutal - but fun!) and have lost 12 pounds in three weeks! Woo hoo!

Any insight on what is a good balance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    With cardio, I'd say as much as often as you want. I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing. The more you move the better :happy:
  • JoAnn73
    JoAnn73 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose? When i started i was working out 7 days a week(walking) but i was 298 pounds. Now I workout 6 days a week and 1 rest day.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    That sounds like a good schedule if its not too much. Since you're new to this you may want one more rest day in between. Gotta find a balance of listening to your body and not getting injured but also pushing through a little soreness. Good luck!
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It can be different for everyone, but this is what I do each week....

1600 calories, don't eat my exercise calories back
    6 days of cardio
    60-90 minutes each time
    burn 800-1000 calories each time
    use a Polar HRM

On days I can't make it to the gym, I jog outside or use my elliptical. You SHOULD strength train 2-4 days a week I believe, but I am horrible at actually doing it. I would much rather do cardio, so I'm working on adding it to my routine. Normally the best advice is to listen to your body. Take a rest day if you feel exhausted and don't beat yourself up over it later. Once you see the scale go down as well as your measurements, that will be enough motivation right there to keep it up. It is for me any way. Many nights I'm not able to workout till 10 or 11 PM, but I still do it even though I would rather say screw it and go to bed. But the fat will not disappear overnight... you have to work for it. Good luck!
  • sunnyzephyr
    Options
    I think that sounds like a good plan! The more you work the more you lose!
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest thing is whatever works for you! Many times I have come up with this "grand" plan for all this exercise...but in actuality I can't do it either physically or time wise.

Work with what you have and if you can fit more in great...if not, do what your schedule allows and is maintainable.
  • Benjidog
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It helps to bounce ideas off of other people. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I just went from walking to an exercise video-- today. :P So I didn't get all the way through before I had to stop (joint problems) but I plan to work on it and gradually build up. I'd say do whatever you can do without injuring yourself, and then stop. And don't feel guilty about stopping, because every workout helps!