Is the Polar FT7 worth just $15 more than the Polar FT4?

Options
I'm considering getting the FT4, and I see that I can get the FT7 for just $15 more. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra cash.

I know it stores 10 times more workouts, and that it shows if you are in a fat burning or fitness heart rate range. But I'm not sure if I buy that or not. TIA for any opinions :)

Replies

• bluerose9483
    bluerose9483 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Bump for reference :smile: I was wondering the same thing!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • yeroc39
    Options
    Maybe I can help you answer that. I actually work for Polar and I can highlight the differences and you can see whether its worth the extra $15.

FIrst on the surface, there are different color choices and for some that makes a difference. But if you take out aesthetics.

The FT7 has a function that will tell you whether you are working out more for weight loss or fitness improvement during the actual workout. It shows you that visually on the watch. Its a nice to have feature.

Secondly, it has the ability to download into a computer to www.polarpersonaltrainer.com. This is a great resource. But you have to buy an optional FLowkink device for about $50. If you think down the road that you might want to track your workouts on your computer it may be worth buying the FT7 and then getting the Flowlink down the road.

Lastly, the FT7 does store a lot more workouts in the watch. 99 vs 10. But again that's a nice to have if you want to compare workouts over time.

The standards that you want are continuous hr, calories and target zones. The FT4 has that. THe FT7 just adds those other features. In my opinion, they are not a necessity to have, but are nice extras. The thing I would use to decide is if you think you might one day want to store your workouts in the computer, even down the road. That might sway me to buying the FT7 now and getting the Flowlink down the road. Beyond that, I don't think you can go wrong either way.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Can you change the battery yourself on the FT4? If not, then yes, definitely worth the extra $15 for the FT7. Have had my FT7 for 3 years, changed the battery once, works just as well as it did the first day I got it. My husband has a different Polar that he can't change the battery and has to send it in...which would cost way more than $15 I am assuming :)
  • yeroc39
    Options
    All of the newer Polar products (all the FT models) you can change the battery yourself
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Maybe I can help you answer that. I actually work for Polar and I can highlight the differences and you can see whether its worth the extra $15.

FIrst on the surface, there are different color choices and for some that makes a difference. But if you take out aesthetics.

The FT7 has a function that will tell you whether you are working out more for weight loss or fitness improvement during the actual workout. It shows you that visually on the watch. Its a nice to have feature.

Secondly, it has the ability to download into a computer to www.polarpersonaltrainer.com. This is a great resource. But you have to buy an optional FLowkink device for about $50. If you think down the road that you might want to track your workouts on your computer it may be worth buying the FT7 and then getting the Flowlink down the road.

Lastly, the FT7 does store a lot more workouts in the watch. 99 vs 10. But again that's a nice to have if you want to compare workouts over time.

The standards that you want are continuous hr, calories and target zones. The FT4 has that. THe FT7 just adds those other features. In my opinion, they are not a necessity to have, but are nice extras. The thing I would use to decide is if you think you might one day want to store your workouts in the computer, even down the road. That might sway me to buying the FT7 now and getting the Flowlink down the road. Beyond that, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Thanks. :)

And yup I checked that you can change your own battery on both because I read that you have to send some models in for a new battery.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    If you want to hook it to your computer then yep the ft7 can transfer data to the computer, the ft4 you will have to hand type.