This site promotes HEALTHY lifestyles!

Options
Hello all!

I've been seeing way too many posts where women are encouraging and commending themselves for eating less than 1000 calories per day. This is a HEALTHY living site. As a woman who has recovered from an eating disorder, I find it really disheartening to see such low goal weights, and low calorie intake. I understand that we are all wanting to lose weight here, but anybody wanting to be 100 lbs or eat under 1000 calories a day should NOT be encouraging others to do so or "bragging" about it.

This site doesn't necessarily promote losing weight. It promotes being healthy! Whether that means loosing weight, gaining weight, or maintaining... the goal here should be health!

Don't get me wrong, there are SO many good topics and threads and healthy lifestyle promoters on here...I just don't want anybody to see the posts by women encouraging a 100lb weight and think that it's what they should be aiming for. Do what's RIGHT for YOUR body!! (PS- as I mentioned in another post...a 140lb fit woman looks a lot better than a 100lb skeleton!) Strong is the new skinny!

Thanks for listening, and keep aiming for that good, healthy lifestyle!!!

Replies

• stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    While I COMPLETELY agree with you, height is a factor for some of us shorties. For instance, my goal is 110, which is in the healthy range for my height and frame. However, I would NEVER encourage someone to eat less than 1200 calories. In fact, I eat more than that. Just a heads up in case some posts were from people who are on the short side like me! Though, unfortunately, I fear you're right about most posts like that being unhealthy.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I've been seeing way too many posts where women are encouraging and commending themselves for eating less than 1000 calories per day. This is a HEALTHY living site. As a woman who has recovered from an eating disorder, I find it really disheartening to see such low goal weights, and low calorie intake. I understand that we are all wanting to lose weight here, but anybody wanting to be 100 lbs or eat under 1000 calories a day should NOT be encouraging others to do so or "bragging" about it.

This site doesn't necessarily promote losing weight. It promotes being healthy! Whether that means loosing weight, gaining weight, or maintaining... the goal here should be health!

Don't get me wrong, there are SO many good topics and threads and healthy lifestyle promoters on here...I just don't want anybody to see the posts by women encouraging a 100lb weight and think that it's what they should be aiming for. Do what's RIGHT for YOUR body!! (PS- as I mentioned in another post...a 140lb fit woman looks a lot better than a 100lb skeleton!) Strong is the new skinny!

Thanks for listening, and keep aiming for that good, healthy lifestyle!!!

I generally agree with what you're saying, but as a (very) short person, 100 lb is perfectly healthy at some heights.
  • Slugsasarus
    Slugsasarus Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes, I understand there are some differences for some shorties, but there's never ever a time when any grown woman should be eating under 1000 calories a day!

My advice is to check your goal weight's BMI to see if it's a healthy goal :)
  • Two2Love
    Two2Love Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have two questions.

First, why do you care? If you see a thread about a diet or weight goal that you disagree with, then move on. What one person does is not another person's business. Why put so much energy and negativity into something that really doesn't concern you?

Second, if you're going to pick on one diet, then you probably should pick on them all. What about low carb...cutting perfectly healthy food groups from your diet? And Jenny Craig, which provides preservative packed "shelf stable" food? What about people that don't exercise? And then there are the people that take everything GNC offers to curb appetite, burn fat, etc. So why is SO much focus being placed on low calorie diets, when they can sometimes be more healthy than the alternative diets?

We're all adults here and we don't need to be "schooled" for our choices - be it a 500 calorie, 800 calorie or 1200 calorie diet or more. I just don't understand why anyone cares so much about what someone else is doing. If a poster asks your opinion, great...give it. If not, it's really not your business to tell people what they should or shouldn't do, and what they can and can't post about on a PUBLIC forum.

I joined MFP to track my nutrition, calories and exercise on whatever plan I may be on (which is usually Weight Watchers). Frankly, after two days on the community boards I'm disgusted by some of the members. In fact, not 4 hours past my first post, I received a private message from a total stranger, who knew nothing about me or my calorie level, telling me what I should or shouldn't be doing, and insisting that MY diet was HER business. Nice welcome...NOT!
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    100lbs is within "healthy" range for my height. And eating only 1200 calories a day doesn't give me much of a calorie deficit for losing weight. Therefore, I don't mind going under that as long as I'm still eating healthy, well-balanced foods and getting good nutrition. Or if I get a good workout in, I might have less net calories for the day, but that doesn't mean I didn't eat enough.

Just because someone has low weight/calorie goals, doesn't mean they are being unhealthy about it.