HRM

Options
I want to invest in a heart rate monitor,
Any suggestions? Not too expensive please.
Thanks

Replies

• belinda3696
    Options
    I'VE SEEN A COUPLE AT WALMART AROUND $30-40 DOLLARS, THEY SEEM TO BE AS GOOD AS OTHERS I'VE CHECKED OUT THAT COST MORE... I AM WANTING TO INVEST IN ONE ALSO.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Polar is a great brand. I have a polar FT4.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    my polar ft4 was $60 on amazon.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience that the HRM without chest straps can be very finnicky and not always the most correct. I have a Polar FT4, it has a chest strap, and it has been a part of my wardrobe everyday since I received it for my birthday in October 2010. The ones without a chest strap, from my understanding, you have to tap every once in a while to get them updated, or something like that. I say, you get what you pay for. Some HR monitors only calculate your heart rate, not calorie burn. I say do some research and see what fits best for you lifestyle though.
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex .. it goes for 69$ in stores..it is a heart rate monitor, and comes with the chest strap... takes into account your weight, and lets you know how many calories you are burning. I got it of off Kijiji for 30$ (try looking on Craigslist etc) or local share sites... and you might find something useful... I love my Timex...
  • Jessicareyes78
    Jessicareyes78 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I bought the Timex T5G971 on target.com. It received great reviews on amazon.com 606 review with most at 4 and 5 star rating. Inexpensive on all sites I chose target because the had a buy one get one 50% off and the hubby needed one too paid less than $100 including shipping. Ordered it on the 11th and it was at my door step this morning even though they estimated shipping for between 11/23-11/28.
  • BigHeadedBull
    BigHeadedBull Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Check out Polar. I have used their products for years from the basic unit to an all-in-one bicycling, running, and HRM. Their designs are easy to setup and their documentation is good. It looks like their basic unit is now the FT1. It will tell you average and maximum heart rate and calories burned. It is priced on their website at $69.95. Check a few bike catalogs (e.g., Performance), REI, or Amazon and you may find it for less.

One thought: Regardless of the maker or watch, you will be wearing a strap around your chest. You may not like the feel of the standard strap. A number of the female athletes I know have used a jog bra made to hold the strap in place.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have used a Mio Petite Motiva, but there was no chest strap, no sure on how accurate it was.
    I tried a New Balance N4 with chest strap but ended up returning it. Now, I use a Timex T5g971 with chest strap. You can get it on Amazon for aroung $30.00 but I purchased mine at Best Buy for $69.00.

Good luck. Best investment I ever made!! :bigsmile:
  • AmberRSkelton
    AmberRSkelton Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I found mine(New Balance) at Target, I can't think of the price but it wasn't bad. Just make sure it has a chest strap.
  • blueeyes25s
    blueeyes25s Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for a HRM myself and so far most people are recommending the Polar FT4F with the chest strap. It also got great reviews on Amazon. I am considering that one for myself or the newer model Polar FT7.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Polar FT4. You definitely want one with a chest strap for the best accuracy.
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Polar is a great brand. I have a polar FT4.

this...I love mine