Thoughts on this....

Options
Background: :wink:
I am 31 years old... when I was in high school I weighed somewhere around 250#, maybe not quite that but pretty darn close. After highschool I worked as a CNA and dropped some weight due to being on my feet all day and messed up eating schedules etc. I began my first weight loss journey at that point... I was 227#. I found out that I was pregnant with my son on the day that I weighed in at 163#:love: . My son is now 8, almost 9 years old. During the last 8 1/2 years I never got above 210 but floated between 190 and 210. I found MFP at 200 even. I feel like I have done well and am now 1/2 way to my goal with the motivation to go all the way!:bigsmile:
Question:
Does it make sense to say that I have lost "JUST" 20#?(put that way because there is no JUST for any of us...weight loss is HARD and needs to be treated as the true ACCOMPLISHMENT that it is no matter how much or little) Or should I be saying I've lost 70# or 47#? LOL, I can't even keep a straight face while writing that... I have a friend who I love and adore that says YES. I don't see it that way.
The way I see it:
Any weight that I lost THEN was THEN... almost a decade ago. My current journey has a starting point of 200#. My current weight is 180#. That is 20# lost. I don't want to think of it as more because I feel it demeans the progress that I have made this time around... I was just wondering what you would say if it was YOU in this situation. Sorry for rambling :)

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'd say "I've lost 20 lbs in the past x months".
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I am using a starting weight that I consider the start of my most recent journey. My all-time highest weight was over 200 pounds, but I also don't feel right using that weight as my current starting weight. I want to keep an accurate record of my weight loss from my start date, not from my highest weight. Plus I don't want to feel like I can ride on the coat tails of weight I lost over a year ago. Just because I managed not to gain back every single ounce doesn't mean I want to use it as a cushion to inflate what I have lost recently!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Huge congrats...but do you want to tell people i lost 20 lbs in 6 months, or however long its been OR do you want to say you lost 70lbs in 13 years. Id prefer the 20lb statement. Good luck and nice job!!
  • Iwillbemeagain
    Options
    I say you do what ever makes you feel good!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I am using a starting weight that I consider the start of my most recent journey. My all-time highest weight was over 200 pounds, but I also don't feel right using that weight as my current starting weight. I want to keep an accurate record of my weight loss from my start date, not from my highest weight. Plus I don't want to feel like I can ride on the coat tails of weight I lost over a year ago. Just because I managed not to gain back every single ounce doesn't mean I want to use it as a cushion to inflate what I have lost recently!
    EXACTLY!!!!!!:happy:
  • AwesomelyAmber
    Options
    Huge congrats...but do you want to tell people i lost 20 lbs in 6 months, or however long its been OR do you want to say you lost 70lbs in 13 years. Id prefer the 20lb statement. Good luck and nice job!!

THIS is exactly what I am going to say to her the next time this conversation comes up!!! Thanks!
  • gemini0007
    gemini0007 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When people ask me - I tell them I have lost 17 kgs (37.5 pounds) in 5 months. However sometimes I question them and say do you mean from when I was at my biggest/heaviest - because then I need to add an extra 5 kgs (11 pounds) to what I have lost. BTW - well done you.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'd say 20 pounds gone on this go-round and 70 down from your all time high almost a decade ago. Give yourself credit for successfully maintaining as much of your earlier loss as you did, even with the pregnancy. That's more impressive than just losing it, IMHO, and bodes well for the future.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    Options
    thanks all!!!!