Vanity Sizing: Love it or hate it?

Options
I've lost nearly 50 pounds, and while I'm definitely in a smaller size than previously, it's not really smaller traditionally. I can fit into size 8 jeans now, but if they were size 8 jeans from 10 years ago, there's not a chance I could fit into them. Probably closer to a 12 10 years ago.

I love that I can say I fit into a size 8, but I really can't. I think I'll need to be a 2 (in today sizes) to be at a healthy weight.

Replies

• roberts1013
    roberts1013 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    IKR why did they decide that instead of encouraging ppl to be healthy they should just adjust the sizes to mess with our heads
  • Christin09
    Christin09 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Great Job on your losses!

I Hate it! It helps in making us fat cause we think we are actually skinnier than we are! Boooo!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Good and bad... as average size is increasing (but in same proportions because lots more taller people) It is quite good... I couldn't fit in to some size M - 12 Nike trousers because of the length ...same with the shorts...then again they're designed for someone of 166cm height... I am 175 so... well you can see the issues there.

I just like clothes that look and feel comfortable.... if they're a medium, size UK12 or below, happy days. :)
  • rblair_22
    rblair_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    holy cow!! I didn't even know about vanity sizing! So that means my size 16's that I'm almost out of are really 18's or 20's. I'm going to go cry now.
  • kotersmom
    kotersmom Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Well I am in a size 5 in jeans...but yesterday I went to buy some dress pants and had to buy an 11! Couldn't even fasten a 5 or 7 and a 9 was still too tight. Crazy how the sizes run in different brands and styles.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Hate it. I've lost 50 pounds (thanks MFP!) and am now in a size 2 or 0. Old clothes I dug out of the basement from 12 years ago = me wearing a size 10, MAYBE an 8. But now that there's vanity sizing, I'm in the smallest size of a lot of places - I can't wear pants from Eddie Bauer b/c they're too big. And believe me, I am no where NEAR being small enough that I should have trouble finding clothes to wear.... still have a muffin top, etc. It's ridiculous.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this! I'm 20 pounds lighter than the day I got married, yet that translates into today's sizes as being 3 sizes smaller. Goofy. Try sewing from a vintage pattern, though! I wear a size 4 or 6 dress in today's sizes which is a 16 dress in a pattern from the 50s and requires altering for a larger waist and a smaller hip...oy vey! My pants are a size 2 as well, but then, what do tinier people wear? Kid's clothing? Crazy!
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I recently found an old pair of jeans in my closet from old navy...maybe 5 years old that got too tight for comfort a few years back. They fit perfectly now! Truth is they are a size 6 and Ive been wearing a 4 for a few years now. Then I went to Old navy to buy a new pair and had to get a size 2! I also have an even older pair I pulled out that are junior size 9 and they fit perfectly! I have no idea what size I am. I just try everything on and if anyone asks my size i say, depends on where I shop!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I hate it, vanity is stupid in all its affectations, but particularly this one.

I'd bring in a law decreeing that wrongly labelled clothing is deemed to be not fit for its stated purpose (ie purportedly to clothe someone of a certain size) and therefore cannot be sold.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 50 pounds, and while I'm definitely in a smaller size than previously, it's not really smaller traditionally. I can fit into size 8 jeans now, but if they were size 8 jeans from 10 years ago, there's not a chance I could fit into them. Probably closer to a 12 10 years ago.

I love that I can say I fit into a size 8, but I really can't. I think I'll need to be a 2 (in today sizes) to be at a healthy weight.

Size of one's clothes never made anyone HEALTHY...ask an Alcoholic or Crack-Head... Don't you have Other benchmarks to determine Healthiness, like: Weight Range, Mobility, BP, Lower Blood Sugar, Cholesterol Levels, Happiness, Activity Level...
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I hate it.
    Old Navy is the worst for it...one of the largest family discount clothing stores in North America.
    I'm a zero there, but a 6 every where else it seems.
    It gives false hope...and totally not what you'd want to see where the national BMI is slowly soaring off the charts.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    HATE IT. I wish that they would do ALL women's jeans the way they do men's....in inches. I would much rather know that I'm "typically" a size 30-31 than have to go to the store and bring in 4 sizes to the backroom because of vanity sizing I don't know whether that particular bring I'm going to be a 6, 8,10, or 12. I do understand that jeans fit different depending on the brand (smaller in the caboose, or in the thighs, or sits on your hips, or sits higher on the waist, etc) but, I'd prefer they keep the sizes similar...not completely all over the place. The jeans I buy now are all typical inches sizing and I prefer it that way.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hate it! I used to know what size to buy and often ordered clothes from catalogs. These days...no way! I can order 5 items in one size and it's a crap shoot when I put them on. Some will be too big, some too small and some just right. I no longer buy anything that I don't try on first. Even when you buy two pair of jeans that are identical you have to try them BOTH on.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Hate it.

It would be much easier to order clothes or pick out clothes in general if there was universal sizing that stayed the same.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Eh. Hate it. I think companies could save more money on online returns, attendants in the fitting rooms, if the sizing were consistent. They'd also probably get more sales. I'd love to walk into a store, pick out something, pay for it and walk out without going to the fitting room to see if it fits. :laugh: As it is, I abhor going shopping for that reason.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    HATE IT. I wish that they would do ALL women's jeans the way they do men's....in inches. I would much rather know that I'm "typically" a size 30-31 than have to go to the store and bring in 4 sizes to the backroom because of vanity sizing I don't know whether that particular bring I'm going to be a 6, 8,10, or 12. The jeans I buy now are all typical inches sizing and I prefer it that way.

But the vanity sizing has hit the men's clothes as well-- See Old Navy/Nautica (can't remeber which, but one of them)-- they tack on 4+ inches on a lot of pants. So a 30 W labled garment is really at least a 34.

That is too bad. Dang it! (No more "honey-i-bought-you-a-pair-of-jeans-because-you-hate-shopping-and-i-can-guarantee-they-fit") Luckily the jeans my husband likes don't have vanity sizing. But, geesh...that is depressing! How can you lie with the inches?? Ugh, makes no sense to me. Lame!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Size of one's clothes never made anyone HEALTHY...ask an Alcoholic or Crack-Head... Don't you have Other benchmarks to determine Healthiness, like: Weight Range, Mobility, BP, Lower Blood Sugar, Cholesterol Levels, Happiness, Activity Level...

Sure, and by BP, cholesterol, activity, etc., I'm the epitome of health. But the fact is, I'm still borderline obese, even though I it into a "size 8".
  • ixiHemlock
    ixiHemlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Personally, I hate it when brands apply structured or curved inseams to their clothes in order to better fit 'curves.' They don't seem to take this proportion down in lower sizes, and clothes gap everywhere- particularly the chest, thighs, and butt.

This goes the other way too- hold up a size 5 miniskirt to a size 12,and they'll be the same length. It just doesn't make sense.
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I hate it. It's confusing. And, I pulled out a dress I wore in the early 80s, size 10, for my daughter, who wears an 8 or 10 now, to try on. It was tiny! She could get it on, but the belt wouldn't buckle. it really brought home to me how sizes have changed.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I hate it...so hard trying to find pants to fit...at one point in time I had pants that all fit ranging in sizes 4 to 9...yeah...so helpful trying to find jeans to fit...no wonder I never buy pants unless I'm desperate...