Frustrated

Veritygwen
Veritygwen Posts: 6
I have been eating very healthy the past three weeks no more than 1500 calories a day and I exercise frequently. However, I just stepped on the scale and no, not lost weight but gained! Could stress effect weight loss?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Lots of non-food-related things can affect weight loss, such as:

-Stress
    -Inadequate Sleep
    -Inadequate Hydration

Something else to keep in mind - you don't have much to lose, so it will be much harder for you to lose than someone who has 50 lbs to lose. There are various groups/threads for people who are just trying to lose a little, or to tone up - I recommend you find one and they'll likely have lots of good suggestions. (I'm not quite there myself. :tongue: )

Edited to add - one more thought - 1500 may actually not be enough for you, especially with all the exercise you're doing. Since you only have a little to lose, you should make sure your goal is only 1/2 a pound a week. If it's set higher than that, I recommend changing that and seeing what MFP recommends you eat.
  • michele_lynn
    michele_lynn Posts: 66 Member
    I'm going through that the last few days myself.. I was super down about it at first, but I know I've been staying within my limits so I'm chalking it up to a heavy food, weight-wise (chili with rice three days in a row) that's literally "weighing" me down.

That, plus I've been exercising a lot more lately, and maybe all the elliptical work is toning my legs (muscle weighs more than fat, so burning fat but gaining muscle can cause the scale to jump even if the measurements are slimming down.) I don't measure my arms, legs, or waist (hello, lazy!) so I'm just going to keep on keepin' on and not let it get to me. The worst thing we can do is over-eat out of frustration.

--M
  • Thanks for the advice!
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    So many thing can effect what you see on the scale for example a week before my TOM i can gain up to 3-4 kg (7-9 pounds) this is obviously going to make it look like i have gained even when i have lost i

another thing is what i ate the night before if i have a full stomach my weight is going to be up likewise when it comes to wether you have gone to the toile,,,t gross i know

another big factor is water if i didnt allot of water the day before i usually see a gain due to water retention this can be quite allot to and can make it seem like i have gained when i have actually lost

and one more thing the time of day i always weigh less first thing in the morning after i have gotten up out of bed even just 20 minutes after i can see a gain of a 2 pounds or so ,,,,,

The trick is to weigh your self at the same time once a week and with teh same circumstances so similar food the night before ,,, making sure you are hydrated etc etc
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    I always weigh in the morning, after using the restroom. I consider that my "true weight" and I don't weigh myself the day after I ate really salty foods.

I also drink 4+ water bottles per day (I have a 1L/32oz bottle) and that has made a big difference for me.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    I had the same problem. Found out I was eating too many calories as a base. I just started Herbalife and am now losing weight. 2 shakes a day and my circuit training with Jillian Michaels is finally working. If you want more info add me to your friend list and I can provide you with more detailed info.
  • Hang in there hun this can be very stressful. Dont have any answers for you, only encouragement because I have the same problem! :-)
  • michele_lynn
    michele_lynn Posts: 66 Member
    Just wanted to tell you I've finished the vat of chili we had made on Sunday, and about 24 hours after my last bowl, I saw a significant loss in weight. I had gained 2+ lbs while eating the chili, but am now actually down a .5 lb from what I was the day before we made the chili. Weighty food + increased sodium = false gain.

Don't let the numbers on the scale get you down.. they don't tell the whole story! :)

<3
  • I'm having the exact same problem! When I first joined I lost 4lbs pretty quickly. Over the past week, I have put it all back on?? I have been exercising and watching what I eat. It's so frustrating. I'm just going to try to stick with it and hope that the lbs start coming back off soon!
This discussion has been closed.