low RMR?

Options
I just went to a clinical dietician to get my RMR and body fat % done. I'm 5'8 with a large frame and currently weight 139. They said my body fat percentage was 18.8% and that my RMR was ONLY 1300 CALORIES!!! ahh!

Is 1300 calories normal for someone my age (25) and height?

Also, does RMR take into account my normal daily movement (getting out of bed, etc)? I know it obviously wouldn't take exercise into account.

I'm just trying to figure out what my base calorie needs are and I'm hoping it's more than 1300....that's not a lot at all. :( I work out 5 days/week and eat very healthy. I'm getting married in January and would like to get down to 134, but am afraid I'll have to eat next to nothing to ever make that happen......HELP!!

Replies

• sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hi sorry I can't help wit hte technical questions, but why not consider some resistance training to help tone and tighten what you have, instead?
    I'm not sure that 5lb is really going to make that much of a difference on your frame, and would think that getting a smoother and tighter shape would probably be more beneficial to achieve your 'wedding body'

You can enter your stats into the goals section and select maintenence (probably around 17-1800 per day), to get an idea of where to take things from.
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    Hi sorry I can't help wit hte technical questions, but why not consider some resistance training to help tone and tighten what you have, instead?
    I'm not sure that 5lb is really going to make that much of a difference on your frame, and would think that getting a smoother and tighter shape would probably be more beneficial to achieve your 'wedding body'

You can enter your stats into the goals section and select maintenence, to get an idea of where to take things from.

That's the thing...I do a LOT of weight training and toning exercises. I used to focus on only cardio, but within the past 4 months have made probably half of my workouts strength based.

And I know everyone will say to not go by the scale, but it's not like my clothes are fitting much better either. I keep my measurements, but haven't lost inches either
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Your RMR does not take into account any activity, as far as I know. If I can remember right, sedentary people should do their RMR x 1.3.... light active is x 1.5.... active is x 1.7 and heavy/strenuous daily activity is x 1.9.

Going by memory here, but I think that's right.
  • moe5474
    Options
    Your RMR does not take into account any activity, as far as I know. If I can remember right, sedentary people should do their RMR x 1.3.... light active is x 1.5.... active is x 1.7 and heavy/strenuous daily activity is x 1.9.

Going by memory here, but I think that's right.

Whew! That makes me feel better :) I am supposed to go back in next week to hear suggestions, so I wouldn't have heard such great news yet.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Oh OK then - I'm so used to so many people's workouts being like, ALL cardio

You may need to eat more then, to fuel the muscle development, if that makes sense. Not just 'eating back your exercise calories' but actually eating at maintenence for a bit. Get that muscle nice and fueled, then in a month or so, do a small deficit again and le the increased metabolic rate from the good muscle help you along : )
  • eclecticdeb
    eclecticdeb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ummmm...why not ask the dietician?

From what I can remember, the RMR is what it takes your body just to exist....like if you were laying in bed all day. On top of that, you have your "activity" counts -- and this all depends on how active you are on a day-to-day basis. Someone who delivers packages for brown santa would have more "activity" calories than someone who sits at a desk all day. You then add in you "exercise" calories.

Count yourself lucky. My RMR is less than 1000 calories. In order to lose weight, i need to be UNDER 1200 calories a day, and exercise like crazy.
  • moe5474
    Options
    Oh OK then - I'm so used to so many people's workouts being like, ALL cardio

You may need to eat more then, to fuel the muscle development, if that makes sense. Not just 'eating back your exercise calories' but actually eating at maintenence for a bit. Get that muscle nice and fueled, then in a month or so, do a small deficit again and le the increased metabolic rate from the good muscle help you along : )

I might try maintanence for a bit, but I'm afraid if I even gain an ounce I won't fit in my wedding dress :( My wedding is in January, so I can't exactly afford to put on any weight. My dress is VERY fitted unfortunately.

It's worth a shot after the wedding though.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Rmr does not take into account any activity you do throughout the day. Find your tdee now that you have your rmr. ( there are calculators online) to build a proper deficit. My body fat % is 26%, I'm 5'2, and my BMR is 1275! My tdee is close to 1600.
  • moe5474
    Options
    Ummmm...why not ask the dietician?

From what I can remember, the RMR is what it takes your body just to exist....like if you were laying in bed all day. On top of that, you have your "activity" counts -- and this all depends on how active you are on a day-to-day basis. Someone who delivers packages for brown santa would have more "activity" calories than someone who sits at a desk all day. You then add in you "exercise" calories.

Count yourself lucky. My RMR is less than 1000 calories. In order to lose weight, i need to be UNDER 1200 calories a day, and exercise like crazy.

I definitely plan on asking the dietician, but I just saw her assistant for the RMR test today. I couldn't wait until next week so I thought I'd ask on here :)
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Just curious how much does that cost?
    I would love to know my exact RMR.