A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. No crap. What they don

Options
_snw_
_snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
I get so frustrated when someone announces "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" like it's some newly found explanation of the world.

Yes. A calorie is a calorie. A "fat" calorie is the same as a "protein" calorie.

What they aren't mentioning though, wait, let me back up a moment.

When it all comes down to it - the only way you will lose weight is by taking in less than you burn. Every 3,500 calorie deficit will equal a pound of fat lost (in general)

So, let's look at those calories ...
You can eat a candy bar with 300 calories OR you could eat a piece of chicken (~110) veggies (~60) and another ~170 calories of something that would equal just that one candy bar. Sure, you can talk about how the body burns said calories and metabolism and such, but this whole "a calorie is a calorie" thing just drives me nuts.

okay. rant over.

(p.s. ---> If you have any bit of punk rock in you, join our group "Punk Rockers Scare You)

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure i understand your point, that you can eat a candy bar or chicken veggies and something else and lose weight?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Obvious post is obvious.
  • bbabs99
    Options
    Also, water is good for you, I hear.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    MiO will kill you. Or keep your car's cooling system running good
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I would have trouble thinking clearly on 500 calories a day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure i understand your point, that you can eat a candy bar or chicken veggies and something else and lose weight?

I was thinking the same thing. Isn't this just a rant about hating when people say 'a calorie is a calorie' with an explanation of how a calories is still a calorie.

Maybe it's only bad if you say it without giving an example?? Something like a calorie is a calorie so WTH would anyone eat a Big Mac when you can have an entire bottle of wine for the same amount of calories.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    OP,

When you finally get to a point, wake me up. I'll be over here bored so bad that i fell asleep.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Did I miss something? So why exactly do you hate the saying?
  • Alyshahmr
    Options
    Well if you want to treat your body like a piece of crap, yes. The body treats every part of the food group differently. For example, the high protein items, and I am not implying meat because I am a vegetarian, will stay with the body longer so we do not get hungry as fast. You want to eat high calorie low volume items, you will be hunger a heck of a lot faster than I will drinking a high protein shake, 2 entrees, and minimum of 5 fruits and vegetables. Food is not the same.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    How much is 1 calorie when you convert to metric?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    WTH would anyone eat a Big Mac when you can have an entire bottle of wine for the same amount of calories.

This is an excellent point. Bottle of wine for dinner it is!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Does a muscle calorie weigh more than a fat calorie?
  • campbellfordgranny
    Options
    I'm with you here ... I know EXACTLY what your saying ...not all calories are created equal .... the chocolate bar at 300 cal. vs. a full dinner at 300 cal, simple right ... would appear some don't really get it.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Is a muscle calorie weigh more than a fat calorie?
    We have a winner! :laugh:

winner.jpg
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    WTH would anyone eat a Big Mac when you can have an entire bottle of wine for the same amount of calories.

This is an excellent point. Bottle of wine for dinner it is!

perfect, what time should i be over?
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    Calories don't scare me! I eat calories for breakfast!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    So, let's look at those calories ...
    You can eat a candy bar with 300 calories OR you could eat a piece of chicken (~110) veggies (~60) and another ~170 calories of something that would equal just that one candy bar. Sure, you can talk about how the body burns said calories and metabolism and such, but this whole "a calorie is a calorie" thing just drives me nuts.
    Then, the question is: What do I eat for the remaining 500 calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/399218-has-anyone-heard-of-the-vlcd-diet
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    Well if you want to treat your body like a piece of crap, yes. The body treats every part of the food group differently. For example, the high protein items, and I am not implying meat because I am a vegetarian, will stay with the body longer so we do not get hungry as fast. You want to eat high calorie low volume items, you will be hunger a heck of a lot faster than I will drinking a high protein shake, 2 entrees, and minimum of 5 fruits and vegetables. Food is not the same.

Well, yeah. I'm not touting someone eat their "daily allotment" of calories by eating chocolate. I'm just taking about the actual ~calorie~ itself. So much more goes into it.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    mmm candy bar ;) lol just playing. me gusta pollo!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Calories don't scare me! I eat calories for breakfast!

I eat calories just before I go to bed...... living on the edge.

( and I eat bananas)