Eating before workout

Options
I work out with a trainer twice a week (half hour) and then go to the gym another 4 days a week (most of the time). I prefer to go in the mornings before work, and I really don't want to eat anything before I do my work out because I get nauseous if I do...I have water when I get up in the morning first thing, but not coffee. My trainer said it would raise my heart rate artificially anyway.

My question is this...should I try eating something at 5:30am before my workouts? I always go straight home and have breakfast afterwards (either eggs and fruit, or cereal and fruit) and coffee.

I read all the time about fueling the body before a workout but when I workout at 7am, I really don't think I could eat anything without feeling like throwing it up during the burpees my trainer makes me do. And I really don't want to get up at 5am to eat something then. So I'm wondering how important it is for me to eat before the work outs if I'm going in so early.

Thanks!

Replies

• cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I work out with a trainer twice a week (half hour) and then go to the gym another 4 days a week (most of the time). I prefer to go in the mornings before work, and I really don't want to eat anything before I do my work out because I get nauseous if I do...I have water when I get up in the morning first thing, but not coffee. My trainer said it would raise my heart rate artificially anyway.

My question is this...should I try eating something at 5:30am before my workouts? I always go straight home and have breakfast afterwards (either eggs and fruit, or cereal and fruit) and coffee.

I read all the time about fueling the body before a workout but when I workout at 7am, I really don't think I could eat anything without feeling like throwing it up during the burpees my trainer makes me do. And I really don't want to get up at 5am to eat something then. So I'm wondering how important it is for me to eat before the work outs if I'm going in so early.

Thanks!
  • TANKENEY32
    TANKENEY32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a piece of toast.. just something small.. Im no expert but i have been told to eat at least something small..Good luck!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    In order to get your metabolism going, you need to eat. What about a protein bar - it's better than nothing.
  • bluroses
    bluroses Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 each morning so I have time to work out before work. I always eat first thing. Usually I have 1/4 cup cottage cheese or plain yogurt with 1/2 cup frozen fruit (thawed, of course). That usually put me right under 100 calories, but at least I have a little bit of "fuel" to get me through.
  • suemomof2
    Options
    Try drinking a protein shake?
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    A dietitician I spoke with said that the most important thing is to refuel within an hour after your workout. I find if I eat to close to exercising I don't perform as well so unless I am procrastinating it and it takes me a few hours after I wake up to exercise I don't eat. If you do eat before hand make it small and light!:wink:
  • ianconway
    ianconway Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've read where eating something as simple as a Banana will jump start your metabolism and it's also easy for you to digest. Plus, you're less likely to get a muscle cramp, too!

-Ian
  • renayeb
    renayeb Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was told you NEVER eat before you morning workout. The point of this is to burn off the calories from the night before, the ones between dinner and when you woke up otherwise you will only be burning the calories you JUST ATE when you could simply burn those off with your regular daily activities.
    It took awhile for that to register because I am hungry when i get up but you will see the difference :wink:
  • carolstrange0
    Options
    Try 3/4 cup of egg whites.... and the borden reduced fat cheese (3rd of the serving)....
    Cook it in a small skillet and eat...
    Protine is really good.... Im not a scientist about it
    but i also feel like barfing when i exercise.. IF i eat this im all good.....

What i do...
    Wake up drink 1 cup coffee - 2 tbsp sugar free vanilla creamer - 1 1/2 packets splenda with fiber...
    Take 2 "Burn 60" capsuls... with about 8 oz water....
    Make a shake at home B4 I go :
    isloate 28 protine - fat free milk(1/2cup) - frozen strawberrie (35g) - 1/2 banana - (2 tbsp)fiber - and 3 ice cubes in a blender.... yummm
    GYM 1 & Half hours

Drink it on the way to work... has 206 calories (shake)
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Actually and this is just my opinion..I do think you should eat something light before a workout ..you need the energy and you need to get your metabolism up and running....I usually have a piece of fruit or a yogurt or as few triscuits and hummus....today I had 1 slice sugar free banana bread and tea..I dont eat heavy but just enough to get me going..i mark it as a snack not breakfast
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Im gonna say it depends on your body...PERSONALLY, I am an afternoon "work out"er..haha. One Saturday morning it was soo gorgeous out I thought, ooohh I'll get up and run before I my hubby is awake and come back and we can have breakfast. It was a disaster!!! Worst run I've ever had in my life. I was exhausted after running for like 2 minutes (and I was up to 3k at that point) I felt like I was gonna throw up constantly and couldnt even keep a good pace...haha...DISASTER. Now if I am gonna run early I try and eat just a little something, like someone said even a piece of toast or something. For me it's all the difference in the world, but each body is different. Clearly you excel without eating first so..whatever makes you feel pumped!!!!
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    what does your trainer say? It seems to me if you feel fine doing things the way you are, and your're losing weight, your doing something right. everyoneis diff.
  • cardigirl
    Options
    Well, this is interesting! So many thoughtful replies, thanks!

I don't think I'm gonna start getting up at 5:30am to eat something though. Heh. I'd go back to bed afterwards, I think and that would not be good.:laugh: But I admire you BlueRoses! Kudos!

I'm going to double check with the trainer and see what he thinks, too. Some mornings I've got great energy and others, not so much. I'm wondering if I eat a handful of almonds or something like that before bedtime, if that protein wouldn't still be fueling me by 7am.

I'm not a big fan of protein shakes, or anything like that. Although I can see making protein smoothies this summer. Yum.

And I take a thyroid supplement which I have to take on an empty stomach, so taking it before the work out has been handy! Just the right amount of time with no food afterwards. :happy:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I was told you NEVER eat before you morning workout. The point of this is to burn off the calories from the night before, the ones between dinner and when you woke up otherwise you will only be burning the calories you JUST ATE when you could simply burn those off with your regular daily activities.
    It took awhile for that to register because I am hungry when i get up but you will see the difference :wink:

Too be honest I don't think this logic makes sense. I don't see how it matters what calories you are burning off or that you necessarily burn them off in the order that you ate them. I'd be interested in hearing more about this idea or hearing some other people's opinons.

My trainer encouraged me to eat an apple before our workouts. However I met with him in the afternoon not in the morning.
  • cardigirl
    Options
    Quick update on this question...I spoke with my trainer this morning about eating before a workout and he said the recommendation is to not consume anything within 90 minutes of your workout...so I would have to eat something at 5:30am to work out at 7 for optimum efficiency. It's like when your mom told you not to go swimming til 30 minutes after you've eaten, you'll get cramps if you work out too soon after eating.

He said if I wanted to eat something really light that would be fine but it wasn't necessary and when he works out in the early morning he waits til after to eat..

So, I guess since I've been doing okay by not eating til after the workout, that's what I'll continue to do. Thanks to everyone who responded. This forum is great!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I just read a very interesting article about this, it referenced a lot of studies on it.

As to eating in the morning, yes, that is a good thing, but (and they didn't specify morning or afternoon or anything), a mini fast before working out (3 to 4 hours) when doing cardio is actually best (per the studies' conclusions). I was a little shocked to hear this but, the studies seemed pretty conclusive.

More then eating they were talking about not consuming carbohydrates before aerobic workouts. This limits the need to draw fat reserves from the body. Unless you are doing a ketogenic diet, protein and fats are fine in relatively small amounts before working out but carbohydrates are the ones to avoid.

Yes, eating in the morning is a good thing, but basically they say to try to eat AFTER you work out in the morning if you can, if you really need to eat (some people do), then try to keep the carbs down and try to give yourself 1 to 2 hours minimum after you eat before you work out. That was the consensus of the article, and the conclusions of the studies. I don't have the article which sites the studies with me, but when I get home tonight, I can post the studies, so people can look it up themselves.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I just read a very interesting article about this, it referenced a lot of studies on it.

As to eating in the morning, yes, that is a good thing, but (and they didn't specify morning or afternoon or anything), a mini fast before working out (3 to 4 hours) when doing cardio is actually best (per the studies' conclusions). I was a little shocked to hear this but, the studies seemed pretty conclusive.

More then eating they were talking about not consuming carbohydrates before aerobic workouts. This limits the need to draw fat reserves from the body. Unless you are doing a ketogenic diet, protein and fats are fine in relatively small amounts before working out but carbohydrates are the ones to avoid.

Yes, eating in the morning is a good thing, but basically they say to try to eat AFTER you work out in the morning if you can, if you really need to eat (some people do), then try to keep the carbs down and try to give yourself 1 to 2 hours minimum after you eat before you work out. That was the consensus of the article, and the conclusions of the studies. I don't have the article which sites the studies with me, but when I get home tonight, I can post the studies, so people can look it up themselves.

Hmm... this is interesting to me. I'm not debating whether the studies that you read are right or wrong (because honestly - I KNOW that you know more than I do...) but here's my most recent experiences:

When I started walking last month (haven't been at this long....) I would eat a few egg whites in the morning and drink a bottle of water then jump on the treadmill. After about the third day (when I really started walking hard) I noticed that I smelled like ammonia. Not only did I smell like ammonia, my skin actually burned... my scalp was on fire! A quick run through the shower took care of it - but still, it was disconcerting.
    I began doing some research: http://runningdoctor.runnersworld.com/2008/05/why-does-my-swe.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm

What I've found is that if I'm going to exercise in the morning - I have to have protein AND carbohydrate... generally I have 2 egg whites and an apple along with a bottle of water. I wait for 30 minutes and then I exercise. If I don't have the egg whites or protein I feel sick 10 minutes into exercise - if I don't have the carbs, I stink and my skin burns.

Incidentally - I asked my doctor about the ammonia smell and he had no idea what I was talking about. He told me that it could be in our water... ok, doc -but no one else in my family stinks and I don't stink when I don't work out!!!!

Banks - if you know anything more on this - please let me know! It's crazy!
  • cardigirl
    Options
    Thanks SHBoss for the information. It was funny, because I talked to the trainer between sets on the decline sit up bench, and told him of the debate, etc, and while we were talking all the people who were in the gym and watching (apparently I'm good entertainment) were all agreeing that if they eat before a really strenuous workout, they get sick.

I would love it if you could post the links.

sonjavon, if what you're doing works for you, then keep doing it. How is the weight loss going? And that's too weird about the ammonia smell. I wonder if it's more something in your workout clothing? Many of the new workout shirts have SPF and special stuff built into them. Other than that, I got not a clue as to why you would smell ammonia or smell like ammonia.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question....I had been wondering the same thing since I get up at 5 am to work out and really couldn't eat anything at that time without getting sick. I eat after my workout since I've heard the same thing - don't eat 90 mins before working out (and I don't want to get up to eat 3:30 am, lol).
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks SHBoss for the information. It was funny, because I talked to the trainer between sets on the decline sit up bench, and told him of the debate, etc, and while we were talking all the people who were in the gym and watching (apparently I'm good entertainment) were all agreeing that if they eat before a really strenuous workout, they get sick.

I would love it if you could post the links.

sonjavon, if what you're doing works for you, then keep doing it. How is the weight loss going? And that's too weird about the ammonia smell. I wonder if it's more something in your workout clothing? Many of the new workout shirts have SPF and special stuff built into them. Other than that, I got not a clue as to why you would smell ammonia or smell like ammonia.

The weight loss has been pretty steady. I had a set-back last week...it couldn't be helped. My mom had surgery and I stayed at her house Tuesday - Saturday... we ordered in most nights and I didn't get to exercise because I couldn't really leave her side. BUT - I lost 1/2 a pound and on Monday I was back on the treadmill. I never stopped watching what I was eating... but I went over my calories a few times.

I don't really have specific "work out" clothes... I have shorts and tee shirts - same thing I wear almost all the time. I've found that it's not an uncommon problem... but it's generally more common in bodybuilders and long distance runners - neither of which, I assure you, I am! LOL! It really freaked me out the first time it happened though because my eyes burned and my skin burned. My son said, "WOW - that's awful! What'd you spill!" Gee - way to make mom feel self conscious! Yowza!