Does anyone do leg workouts on same day as cardio?

Options
Just wondering if anyone does leg workouts (squats, leg press, leg curl etc) on same day as cardio exercises or do you reserve a day just to work on your legs? I ask as I am thinking of amending my routine and reserving a day just to work on legs and not do cardio on this day as if I try to jog on the treadmill after working on my legs, they feel quite heavy and I struggle to complete a good cardio workout. How do you tend to structure your workouts?

Replies

• Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Because I work out in my home, I don't have the luxury of weight equipment so most of my exercise is cardio. Once I'm done my cardio, I will do squats and lunges or do work on the yoga mat. Always after cardio tho.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I always do them on the same day. I do the cardio first, then the leg workouts, although I know you are "supposed" to do the weights first. I like to be nice and warmed up before doing weights and cardio gets me warmed up for sure.:wink:
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I do them on the same day. Weights first, then cardio.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love going for a run on the treadmill after doing a heavy leg workout. I find they're so warmed up after squats and lunges!
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'll still do the cardio, but it might not be as intense. It really depends on how rubbery my legs feel after the leg workout. I'll start running and can tell if its just not happening and will do a brisk walk or elliptical instead. I tend to get my heart rate up a bit during leg workouts, though.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I usually do them on the same day. I usually do cardio for 20 minutes warm-up then either upper body weights or lower body weights. Then I would get back for another 30-40 minutes of cardio workouts after stretching. The reason why I do it the same day is because I like doing cardio workouts daily.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't do separate body part days with my resistance work. I work the entire body 2-3 times a week, and I always do about 45 minutes of cardio on those days as well. I usually do the resistance stuff first, but sometimes I switch it up depending upon how I feel that day.
  • emma_hazards
    Options
    Yes. 5-10 minute warm-up (today this was the stair climber). Followed by a 30 minute leg workout. Then an hour of cardio. (I mix up what I do for cardio--stair climber, elliptical, treadmill, tennis, bootcamp, etc.) Then stretching.

I typically will not run if I do a leg workout since both put stress on the knees. And yes, cardio (especially the stair climber) is a lot more challenging on days I do legs.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Yep, sometimes do. I structure workout so that I can get it accomplished. Sounds silly but it's true
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Due to the intensity/duration of my leg workouts twice a week, no, I do not do cardio in addition. I guess it depends on how you feel after your leg workout and what it is you're doing.
  • mcwright1980
    Options
    You can do cardio with ANY exercise for ANY body part. Its always good to throw in cardio at some point every day. Just do your cardio before you do your exercises for your specific body parts. Not only does it warm up your muscles but it actually makes the work a lot easier.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Yes, all the time.
  • mcwright1980
    Options
    I just read back my post to myself and i think it sounded kind of rude. I hope you didn't take it that way :\
  • Asher213
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I agree that both are manageable on the same day, I suppose it depends upon the intensity/duration of the workout. I will try switching things up and doing a longer cardio workout first and then see how good a leg workout I can accomplish afterwards. Maybe this will work.
  • Asher213
    Options
    I just read back my post to myself and i think it sounded kind of rude. I hope you didn't take it that way :\

No didn't come across as rude at all :smile:. Thanks for your input.
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I try and split it up. I do my strenght training in the morning before work and then my run in the evening after work. I find it gives my muscles a bit of a break. Sometimes it's a bit of a slog at the start but once I get moving it's not too bad.