Going off Diet Coke...

Options

Replies

• Davis1818
    Davis1818 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I stopped too. Recently though have been drinking perrier. Satisfies the fizzy part.
  • missle30
    missle30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is my fourth day without a Diet Pepsi. I had headaches the first day, but have been doing ok since. I usually have a glass of water with MiO flavoring in it and then plain water the rest of the day. It's working out so far. :) Good luck to you! You can do this!!
  • NickyCat101
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful supportive messages and tips! You all are wonderful. :D

I drink at least 6-8 cans of Diet Coke a day (usually 4-6 at night alone). Once I wasn't paying attention while studying and I drank 12 in one sitting. I was so high on caffeine the room started moving. Lets just say I haven't repeated that episode again.

I have digestion issues, insulin resistance (my body puts out too much insulin), and other problems that the diet coke only makes worse. I ordered some Chai tea today, will see how that goes.

Any good ideas for Iced tea drinks (I hate regular ice tea)? Good luck to everyone doing the same thing, or thinking about it, and congratulations to those who are off the stuff!
  • Agapp
    Agapp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am one month out being a 6 to 8 cans of diet coke (diet anything) for 9 years and before that I was a reg. coke addict. The first week is the hardest but keep it up. feel so much better not drinking it! I drink entirely water now with an occasional cup of hot tea. Keep up the good work:)
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hello, if you are stopping diet coke for health reasons then try researching the pros/cons to not drinking diet soda to help you stay away from it ( ...If that is what you believe.) Otherwise if you are just trying to break a habit then tell yourself that it's not worth it and stay strong.

Maybe try not to stop cold turkey but slowly wean yourself off? "I won't have 3 Diet Cokes today but I'll have 2" ..then 1, then half, and then none? Good Job on your hard work and weightloss so far. Keep it up : )
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    Just think, Carbon is a bi-product of your body. Its a waste your body produces performing its natural functions, and then expels. What your drinking is your bodies garbage
    What? You do realize that everything that lives has carbon in it? Why do you think something turns black when you burn it? That burn on a steak must be garbage then. Massive eye roll here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    That is my next step. There is a lot of conflicting information out there....what are the best reasons to give up diet soft drinks?

#1 reason fo rme is Aspartame, it reduces seratonin in the brain.
    Caffiene addiction
    Phosphoric Acid, damage to the digestive track & poor digestion of food
    Weight gain (yes diet coke can make u gain weight)
    Diabetes
    Chances of osteoporosis
    Your TEETH!!
    Kidney Damage
    Increased blood pressure
    Liver problems!
    Possible Cell Damage

N thats just to name some of my reasons.... Do i really need to add more?
    And that's from a Peer reviewed clinical study? What's the dosage amount needed for these symptoms?

IDEA Fitness member
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    That is my next step. There is a lot of conflicting information out there....what are the best reasons to give up diet soft drinks?

Caffiene addiction
    Diabetes
    Chances of osteoporosis
    Your TEETH!!
    Kidney Damage
    Increased blood pressure
    Liver problems!
    Possible Cell Damage

And that's from a Peer reviewed clinical study? What's the dosage amount needed for these symptoms?

IDEA Fitness member

HHmmm im sure most people drink soda for YEARS or decades and it leads up too these issues.
    Anybody can put a label on themselves and at like a certifed trainer, fitness member, ect ect....
    it dont make u anymore intellegent then the rest of us... nor does it give u the okay to go around questioning everybodys reasoing for not drinking diet soda anymore.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    HHmmm im sure most people drink soda for YEARS or decades and it leads up too these issues.
    Anybody can put a label on themselves and at like a certifed trainer, fitness member, ect ect....
    it dont make u anymore intellegent then the rest of us... nor does it give u the okay to go around questioning everybodys reasoing for not drinking diet soda anymore.
    20+ years right now. No issues. Don't make a strawman argument on my credentials, I asked if the information you opined on has valid PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDY statistics. If not then you're spreading anecdotal evidence.
    I couldn't care less if you or others gave it up. That's your choice. What I do care about is people spreading misinformation that isn't true and other readers beating themselves up because they might actually believe it. It's called responsibility.

IDEA Fitness member
  • DietingMommy08
    Options
    20+ years right now. No issues. Don't make a strawman argument on my credentials, I asked if the information you opined on has valid PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDY statistics. If not then you're spreading anecdotal evidence.
    I couldn't care less if you or others gave it up. That's your choice. What I do care about is people spreading misinformation that isn't true and other readers beating themselves up because they might actually believe it. It's called responsibility.

IDEA Fitness member

Well this was information that I learned in my HEALTH & NUTRITION class.
    Also confirmed by my doctor.
    Just because YOU havent had any issues drinking soda, dont mean NOBODY else will.
    Right?!

& if you dont care if me or others gave it up then why are you on this thread?! That is the topic of discussion.
  • nikka488
    nikka488 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I cut out almost all diet soda a couple of years ago as well. But instead of cutting it out totally I allow myself to have it as a treat when I go out to eat. I have two throw away meals a week where I can eat whatever I want. Part of that is a diet soda.

In terms of energy I've just exchanged my daily diet soda intake to half-caff black coffee. My #1 reason for taking my diet soda consumption down to almost zero was the artificial sweeteners.
  • Ichbinceiling
    Options
    I'm a true soft drinker addict. I gave up my 2 Diet Dr Peppers a day on 02/15/2011. I still crave pop, everyday. But I have never caved in and tried it again. Because I know that as soon as I try it again, it'll be a bad situation.

I gave it up because my trainer said to. He said that carbonation makes people fat. I'm not willing to test his theory. Part of me feels like if I tried it again and I gained weight, I'd hate pop forever.

So good luck in your journey, it might be a tough one!
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one drinking more than usual 3-4 a day. Good to see you guys are there too. Just for the record I drank diet coke / diet pepsi (3-4x / day) since june and managed to lose 35lbs. I'm trying to drink less and it's working for me, I'm down to 2 a day.

I had so many friends tell me how it's the "same" as regular coke/pepsi and it will not allow me to lose weight at the rate I'm drinking. They also said it was very unhealthy for me. Well all I'm going to say is it did not cause me to gain any weight and which would be healthier; staying at 230lbs or drinking diet coke but down to 195lbs. I'm just saying and not trying to have a debate here.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Well this was information that I learned in my HEALTH & NUTRITION class.
    Also confirmed by my doctor.
    Just because YOU havent had any issues drinking soda, dont mean NOBODY else will.
    Right?!

& if you dont care if me or others gave it up then why are you on this thread?! That is the topic of discussion.
    Your doctor probably isn't part of the staff on the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. Point is there have been several studies on this and there hasn't been evidence to show what you claim to be entirely true.
    And yes while I don't have issues and some may, to throw a "blanket statement" that it's bad for EVERYONE is saying that everyone will suffer maladies from the claims you made.
    I was on it to read it (since the OP did another thread on it a couple of days ago) and didn't reply until you made the claims.

IDEA Fitness member
  • DietingMommy08
    Options
    I dont recall saying EVERBODY is going to suffer from these issues...
    I dont recall saying EVERYBODY should believe me.
    I dont recall saying its bad for EVERYBODY...

I DO HOWEVER RECALL SAYING MY NUMBER 1 REASON.... ADDING MY REASONS FOR NOT DRINKING SODA. STATING THAT THESE ARE THE REASONS I BELIEVE TO ME NOT DRINKING IT, THE REASONS I DONT DRINK IT.

Can I Make that anymore clear?!
  • ryanperna
    ryanperna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There's also Crystal Light "Naturals". They are 30 calories a pack (15 if you split it in half like i do), and I think they taste good. If I'm going really hardcore, I just have plain water, or water with lemon all day long. I also have concerns about diet coke and its addictive properties, but the caffeine is really nice in the afternoon... Good luck to you!
  • homemom05
    homemom05 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Crystal light helps me alot!!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    The diet coke is probably worse for you than the smoking or drinking!

Mind...

...blown.

Diet coke, which is PERFECTLY FINE AND SAFE in moderation...is worse than smoking?!?!

Either you don't know anything about smoking, or you are the biggest scaremongerer i have ever seen.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Caffiene addiction
    Diabetes
    Chances of osteoporosis
    Your TEETH!!
    Kidney Damage
    Increased blood pressure
    Liver problems!
    Possible Cell Damage

Mind...

...blown again...

Is there something in the forum air today? Can you show anything to back up these wildly outrageous claims?! Diet coke, with its almost negligible calorie count can make someone gain weight directly? How?
  • Erin959
    Erin959 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am trying to give up drinking diet coke, but I'm looking for something to add to water just to give it a little more flavour. I live in Australia and Crystal Light, which everyone raves about, isn't available here so if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful.