benefits/drawback of run-walking?

Options
I run a few times a week around a nearby park. One time around the park is a quarter mile, and I usually alternate between running and walking around the park - when i run, it's roughly 6.5 mph and walking is 3.5 mph. Is this okay, or is it bad for my lungs/body? I know i would burn more calories and stamina is I ran more than a quarter mile at a time, but this is just what works for me. I usually go 2.5 miles total.

Replies

• kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Why would it be bad for your lungs/body?

both walking and running are good ways to get exercise.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    nope this is good, lookup interval training as it is what you are doing :smile:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    It's actually a good way to build up stamina and overall fitness, and is the way most "learn to run" programs, such as Couch to 5k work. Do you increase your running and decrease your walking each time? Maybe try that out and see if it helps you be able to run further and faster!
  • kaylenlawrence
    kaylenlawrence Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    When I run...
    I run .25 to .50 a mile then walk .25 mile
    for 3 miles.

Its interval training...bringing your heart rate up then bringing it down then bringing it up again it burns more calories ...

I cant run a straight 2 miles...i get bored to easily
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    that is essentially interval training and it is great! i think it sounds the perfect way to increase your stamina and to avoid injury from overuse! add some pushups, moutainclimbers, etc in between
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Actually sprinting, then allowing your heart rate to drop and then sprinting again... alternating is really really good for you. There has been quite a lot of research on the benefits of it... so just keep it up and on your running bits... try running a little quicker...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's great! And I bet you can run a little bit more and walk a little bit less every time until eventually you will be able to run the whole time. Warning: may be addictive.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    That's called interval training and, from what I've read, your body actually continues to burn calories for longer after you're done working out. Keep up the great work!
  • Simomofmich
    Simomofmich Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think it's great. Keep moving!
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I just started interval running... I do a light jog, with sprinting between.

I am trying to do something new!
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    look up Jeff Galloway- this is his recommended method!
  • Arice022472
    Options
    What your doing is actually a great way to burn calories, I challenged myself to start running back in August and basically did the same thing. Now I am able to run most of 3 miles and when i cant I do intervals of walk run, in fact i sprint rather than just running at a 10 mile and hour pace. Congrats and keep doing it, you will see great results!