Anyone suffer from chronic migraines?

Options
I have migraines almost everyday. They very in severity, with most days being pretty mild. I have one right now though that is pretty bad. What do you do about working out? I know I have a hard time sitting with one, let alone exerting myself. Any helpful tips or specific kinds of exercise to do on the really bad days? I try not to let the migraines keep me from work and I don't want them to derail my weight loss goals either. Thanks in advance.

Meghan

Replies

• Ichbinceiling
    Options
    Have you always had migranes?

I usually get them around my TOM and I got them when I was low in potassium. I started eating bananas and they seemed to lighten up.
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i used to get migraines of varying degrees 3 or 4 times a week...

turns out i was intolerant to the foods i was eating. haven't had an issue since.

not saying it's your problem, but perhaps instead of masking the symptom you see a doctor and discuss the cause. migraines daily are not ok.
  • lcobiella16
    Options
    YES I DO!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    You really should see a doctor and find out the cause. If no cause can be found I am sure there are meds you can take to control them, you shouldn't have to suffer daily. Migraines are the worst!
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I used to get them frequently until I found a wonderful ENT and Primary Care that discovered I had a deviated septum (just that way, never broke my nose) and bone spur blocking my sinuses and pushing on a nerve. Then they also found I had food allergies and since I took those foods out of my diet entirely, the only time I get one is when I am severely stressed. I would absolutely look into causes like that first!

Also, be careful about working out when your migraine has already hit a peak. It can make the migraine worse. I hope you find the help you need!!
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Yep, I was diagnosed with chronic headaches with migraine exasperation. I actually removed myself from my meds over the past year. I find that if my heart rate rises too quickly, or drops too suddenly during exercise, I will get a migraine. Also heat is an issue with me. Sustained heat will often bring on a migraine and, of course, stress. TOM is a big factor in when I get them as well. Also- weirdly enough, I will get a migraine after sex if I have a headache beforehand.

I would suggest starting out slow. That's been really big for me. Also, I drink a lot more water to prevent dehydration migraines. I've built to where I can run without getting a migraine (usually) and I really really think you need to build up to it.
  • lcobiella16
    Options
    get your blood pressure checked and definitely get seen by a doctor
    do more meditative workouts like yoga.
    do NOT ignore the migraines and do not assume it's just that
    you should go get checked out!
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I get migraines too. I got them A LOT when in college, but not as often anymore. Not sure if they were stress/hormone induced, but I also get them around my TOM. I used to get them and they'd last for about 3-4 days straight. If I didn't catch them before they flared up, nothing would get rid of them besides going to the ER and getting shot up. My Dr told me that having a migraine for several days straight or continuously actually kills brain cells and that's why I was feeling so lethargic around that time.

Unless you've talked to a Dr already and they've approved it, I wouldn't exercise during a migraine (I can assure you when I have a migraine it would be next to impossible for me to exercise, I usually can't even move my head without them pounding worse.)

Oh, and GET OFF THE COMPUTER!!! Trying to focus on the computer screen certainly isn't going to help it. :tongue:
  • MrsHyland
    MrsHyland Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have been to the doctor several times, it's just migraines, no underlying cause. They run in my family. My mom has them pretty much everyday so it's not really something I can avoid. I do know that certain foods trigger them so I avoid them as much as possible. I had been prescribed some pills but they didn't really work. I don't want to be taking pills forever either, they are bad for the body. I just deal with the migraine unless it gets too bad to function.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    When I have a really bad one, I can't do anything but whimper quietly in a dark room under a blanket. It is honest to god the worst pain I have ever felt in my life, and I delivered a 10 pounds baby with no meds.
    There is no way I could workout with one. It hurts to open my eyes. It hurts to breath. It hurts to cry, but it hurts so bad I can't stop crying.
    Have you seen a doctor? There are medications both to ease the pain and to prevent onsets with chronic migraine sufferers. Don't eat my soul for this suggestion, but I live in a state that has legalized mmj. It's the only thing that makes the pain bearable enough to get on with my life, or on the occasion that it doesn't completely erase the pain, it helps me sleep long enough to get past it. Again, I mean no offense, and I really don't want a debate over the pros/cons of mmj, but as someone that wishes they had known it would help earlier in my life, I share this knowledge with you. Not really helpful if you have to leave the house, sorry.
    For the lighter migraines, usually if I take two tylenols and two caffeine pills and drink about 4 cups of water, they ease up and I can get to my workout just fine.
  • MrsHyland
    MrsHyland Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Oh, and GET OFF THE COMPUTER!!! Trying to focus on the computer screen certainly isn't going to help it. :tongue:

I wish I could! I'm at work, so I'm chained to the thing. I take frequent breaks though so it's not quite so bad.
  • megz85g
    megz85g Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i have had migraines for over 10 years now, my mum also has them and has been hospitalised once for about 2 weeks as she could not get rid of it.
    i was on beta-blockers (blood pressure meds) for them for about 18 months which did reduce them slightly but i found the side effects to be bad (feeling faint whenever i stood up, low HR when exercising) and with my dr help i weaned myself of them earlier this year.
    i get a migraine probably twice a month, always the day before TTOM arrives, and i get them from lack of sleep and stress.
    the only thing i can do to get rid of them is going to bed in a dark room with a cold wet facewasher on my forehead, i have presciption painkillers but even after taking 6 of those over the day they do nothing other than make me really hazy the next day.
    when i have just a 'headache' i sometimes find being active can help get rid of it but when i have a migraine, just driving home from work is a struggle as i also vomit when i have them, have had to pull over on the side of the road a few times on the way home.
    one thing that is funny when people who do not get migraines complain about how bad their 'headache' is and it hurts so bad, i think you have no idea lol
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I used to get mine around my TOM. And if not the headaches then just halos and flashes. Talk to your doctor if you haven't already. And bringing this food log that you're making on MFP would be excellent if it ends up being that certain foods trigger yours. Try to keep track on here what time they occur and it may help you figure things out.

About exercising, listen to your body. I don't do as much exercise during my TOM, but obviously that's a short-term thing.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    turns out i was intolerant to the foods i was eating. haven't had an issue since.
    Yeah. I was going to ask if the OP has tried an elimination diet to pinpoint foods that may be triggers.

I haven't been able to pinpoint my triggers, but I only get 2-3 migraines a year, so it might not be as feasible. But if you are getting them daily or even weekly, I would recommend looking into an elimination protocol that can help you identify any dietary causes (there are many possibilities and they differ between people).
  • SweetestHoney
    SweetestHoney Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've had migraines for as long as I can remember. I'm guessing since I was 10. I'm 25 now. Since I've gotten older and on my own I have taken the time to get diagnosed and my PCP has worked with me to find meds to fix and prevent my migraines. Now I'm down to about 2 migraines a month and a few less severe headaches. It's a big improvement from the vomiting and ER visits. Since I can't seem to reduce my migraines to less than twice a month(non TOM related) I use that day to lay in a dark room and let my migraine meds lull me to sleep. I barely want to eat so I definitely don't stress working out.

Basically my advice is to work with your doctor to find a daily med that can reduce your migraines. And don't give up! It can take over a year to find the right one but it is well worth it.
  • SweetestHoney
    SweetestHoney Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i have had migraines for over 10 years now, my mum also has them and has been hospitalised once for about 2 weeks as she could not get rid of it.
    i was on beta-blockers (blood pressure meds) for them for about 18 months which did reduce them slightly but i found the side effects to be bad (feeling faint whenever i stood up, low HR when exercising) and with my dr help i weaned myself of them earlier this year.
    i get a migraine probably twice a month, always the day before TTOM arrives, and i get them from lack of sleep and stress.
    the only thing i can do to get rid of them is going to bed in a dark room with a cold wet facewasher on my forehead, i have presciption painkillers but even after taking 6 of those over the day they do nothing other than make me really hazy the next day.
    when i have just a 'headache' i sometimes find being active can help get rid of it but when i have a migraine, just driving home from work is a struggle as i also vomit when i have them, have had to pull over on the side of the road a few times on the way home.
    one thing that is funny when people who do not get migraines complain about how bad their 'headache' is and it hurts so bad, i think you have no idea lol

I have definitely had a few of those pull over really fast to vomit migraines. The worst!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have them nearly every day as well. I take imitrex and they help a LOT as do muscle relaxers, but I recently found out my wisdom teeth roots are touching the nerve in my jaw-- my dentist seems to think that removing them may help relieve some of the migraine pain. What works for me-- heat (hot tea, heating pad, hot bath), salonpas pain patch on my neck, medication, sleep it off as a last resort. I also get horrible nausea with mine if I don't treat them. I've tried Topamax as a preventative and it didn't help, so I'm crossing my fingers on the wisdom tooth thing.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have been to the doctor several times, it's just migraines, no underlying cause. They run in my family. My mom has them pretty much everyday so it's not really something I can avoid. I do know that certain foods trigger them so I avoid them as much as possible. I had been prescribed some pills but they didn't really work. I don't want to be taking pills forever either, they are bad for the body. I just deal with the migraine unless it gets too bad to function.

If you haven't already, I strongly suggest reading a book a called The Migraine Brain. A doctor is not very knowledgeable about migraines, mostly because symptoms and triggers vary so widely. This book has really great information and may give you some ideas that you haven't tried. Have you tried a magnesium supplement? A large number of people who suffer from migraines are shown to be deficient in magnesium. Natural Calm is a good supplement. I have know people who take it regularly and it made their migraines go away, others it had no effect on, and others whose migraines would be lessened if they took it at the start of pain. And even though your mom gets them, that doesn't mean that you might not be able to find a way to lessen yours. Food elimination can work for some, and there can be numerous foods that could be the cause, from common to uncommon.

I can't really give you advice on exercise. If I had a migraine, or even the start of the feeling of one, I can't exercise. Sometimes if it's super hot while I exercise or really high impact or a lot of bending up and down, I can get migraines. So it really depends on you, though the suggestion of yoga (a gentle style or whatever the terminology is) is a good one. Good luck. Maybe try just swimming or walking?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

I wish I could! I'm at work, so I'm chained to the thing. I take frequent breaks though so it's not quite so bad.

Have you tried wearing tinted glasses? I don't need a prescription, but I still wear prescriptionless tinted glass when I am in classes because otherwise the florescent lighting can trigger migraines. It has taken about a year, but after leaving my job to go back to school, I get fewer migraines. I think it is because I am no longer around a lot of noise for eight hours a day while standing under florescent lights, because I know that at times noise bothers me more than at other times. If my migraine has started (and supposedly the chemical reaction that leads to a migraine starts before the pain, if you get pain - it can start up to two days beforehand) I am super sensitive to everything. So maybe lessening environmental stimulation where you can might help as well.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*
    cluster migraine sufferer here!