Anyone else of the mindset...

Options
That every little bit of extra activity helps? I have tried parking farther away at the store and getting up to walk around at work. I don't log this into my exercise for the day, but I still feel that it helps. Does anyone else think that or am I just fooling myself? I know some of you are very literal, so I'm not saying I will necessarily lose weight by making small changes, I'm just asking if they help with overall health.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I think so. Like you, I wouldn't log those small things, but I think overall it is better to walk across the parking lot, take the stairs, and so on.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I believe the "little" things add up to "big" things and are a catalyst to bigger changes!
  • cheetahcub2010
    cheetahcub2010 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A body in motion stays in motion :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Not just a mindset, the scientific research supports the idea.

A big key in losing weight and keeping it off is increasing non-exercise daily activity.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    i try to tap my feet when i'm sitting at my desk.....and contract my abs while driving...i think it helps, but i wouldn't log any of this. Just bonus movements...

google NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)
  • sjbonnette
    Options
    Absolutely! Anything you do that makes you move your body does help!!! These are good changes you're making!:flowerforyou:
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    small changes lead to big ones :) i do lunges and squats while i wait on water to boil. just like a single cookie here and there adds up, so do parking spaces and high knees. please be careful parking away from the stores, people get crazy this time of year and you want to be close enough to get help if a nutjob comes out of thd woodwork!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I think it helps physically, but I also think it helps you feel good about yourself. Plus, when you make healthy choices like parking further away, I believe it leads to other healthy choices. As long as you don't "reward" yourself with unhealthy treats.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    It does add up. I wear a BodyMedia Fit and days that I get up and walk to peoples's desks instead of sending emails, or walk on my lunch breaks (even leisurely shopping paced walking), or even just stand more I see higher burns than days I'm tied to my desk all day.

Though, I'm not a still sitter. I fidget, my legs moves, I adjust a lot, I do mini calf raises to keep my legs from going to sleep, etc. And I still only clock in around 1-1.2 cal per minute, same as when I sit lethargically on the couch watching TV. So I don't know how much merit I'd give to doing those types of things on purpose to keep the body burning.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I practice good posture, contract the abs whenever possible, lengthen my stride, park farther away, clean something extra that isn't an every day clean up. Little snowflakes can make for a giant avalanche.
  • MrsHyland
    MrsHyland Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    please be careful parking away from the stores, people get crazy this time of year and you want to be close enough to get help if a nutjob comes out of thd woodwork!

I always have pepper spray and a knife in my purse. I was taught to be careful always. I pay a lot of attention when I'm out and about. I also don't park super far away at night unless my husband or someone else is with me. Thank you for mentioning that though. I see everyday how many people are totally clueless to their surroundings.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've read a couple things lately that indicate that "fidgeting" has a big effect on metabolism.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    It definitely does! Anything to get your body moving helps in the long run
  • fitnessGETZeasy
    fitnessGETZeasy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I believe incorporating activity in your every day life is a great way to make fitness just a normal thing for you. It becomes a habit. A good one. :)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I use the BodyMedia....a day lying on the couch is 1500 for me...a day just moving around (maybe a load of laundry, a little grocery shopping, washing some dishes) is 1800....going to work is 2400!

And all this is WITHOUT "Exercising".
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I absolutely believe every little bit counts. When I first started this most recent weight loss effort, I had a hard time walking for a lousy mile. So I didn't stress so much about setting aside an hour to exercise every day. I didn't go the gym. I just tried to increase all those 'little things'. It absolutely helps.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I believe the "little" things add up to "big" things and are a catalyst to bigger changes!

^^^This awesome statement right here.
  • Rob_Sarge
    Rob_Sarge Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a cubicle job and I even keep 5 pounds weights under my desk and will do high rep exercises when I feel myself getting tired or bored
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I can't remember the last time I've taken the escalators at the mall, or parked within the first five rows. :D

I also like to think all the extra trips to the bathroom and to fill my water bottle help a little. ;]
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think they help. I think that these things keep you on your toes and keep you focused. They constantly keep you in the mind set of making better long term choices.