Starvation mode? Input please....

Options
dimplzz
dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
I have a really hard time eating all my 1400 calories that I am allowed each day. Then, the days that I exercise (which has been pretty much everyday lately GO ME! :happy: ) I don't even come close to eating all my calories. If I just try to eat the 1400 everyday and don't eat the exercise calories, will my body go into starvation mode? I just can't see eating 1900-2000 calories a day! My workouts average between 500-650 calories burned...

My average day is:

Breakfast-cereal-Special K or Kashi. About 2 servings with 1% milk which is 330-400 calories
Lunch- Lean Cuisine or a Salad sometimes leftovers from dinner the night before 300 (usually) but can go to 400.
Then I am stuck eating about 600 for dinner and I know that it isn't good to eat that much for dinner... I try to have at least one snack a day but I get sooo busy at work and tend to forget about it. Then if I exercise, that is 1000-1200 left for dinner! NO WAY!

I have such a busy lifestyle (two jobs and a child) that it is hard to get up earlier to cook a big healthy breakfast and I get a VERY short lunch break. ARGHHHH!

Input please... As long as I get to the 1400 calories, will my body be ok?

Replies

• dimplzz
    Options
    I have a really hard time eating all my 1400 calories that I am allowed each day. Then, the days that I exercise (which has been pretty much everyday lately GO ME! :happy: ) I don't even come close to eating all my calories. If I just try to eat the 1400 everyday and don't eat the exercise calories, will my body go into starvation mode? I just can't see eating 1900-2000 calories a day! My workouts average between 500-650 calories burned...

My average day is:

Breakfast-cereal-Special K or Kashi. About 2 servings with 1% milk which is 330-400 calories
    Lunch- Lean Cuisine or a Salad sometimes leftovers from dinner the night before 300 (usually) but can go to 400.
    Then I am stuck eating about 600 for dinner and I know that it isn't good to eat that much for dinner... I try to have at least one snack a day but I get sooo busy at work and tend to forget about it. Then if I exercise, that is 1000-1200 left for dinner! NO WAY!

I have such a busy lifestyle (two jobs and a child) that it is hard to get up earlier to cook a big healthy breakfast and I get a VERY short lunch break. ARGHHHH!

Input please... As long as I get to the 1400 calories, will my body be ok?
  • EducatedVegan
    Options
    You can have a calorie deficit of 1000 calories a day, as long as you have a high-quality, high-absorption nutritional supplement (which everyone should have anyway!). You'll be alright- you're stimulating your body's metabolism by exercising. If you really want more calories though, you're right, you've gotta get them in earlier in the day- even if just to feel good when you go to sleep!

Keep up the good work!

-Meredith
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it .I eat 1200-1400 calories daily and exercise everyday and burn anywhere from 600-1000 calories a day.I only eat some of my exercise calories and thats only if I am hungry.In my opinion do whatever works best for you.Play around with your calories a bit .Intensify your workouts.:flowerforyou: Best of luck to you !!
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I don't know enough about the whole starvation mode thing to comment, but, how about trying to eat more for your lunch?

Also, a handful of nuts as snacks may help. Hummus (excuse spelling) and chips.

Try spreading your calories out over the day.

G'luck
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Well, if you need some calories, why not throw together a quick smoothie? Just put in some milk, fruit, maybe some yogurt or nuts, and you have an instant, healthy little caloric boost.

Or indulge in that thing your mama probably scolded you for--eat a spoonful of peanut butter right out of the jar!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    1400-500=900 cals
    No way is that enough, especially if you are doing this often. I know you live a busy life but your body needs fuel :smile:

Try adding in some higher cal snacks like nuts. Also I don't see much fruit in your diet.
    There have been some great threads on starvation mode, I recommend doing a search through the message boards.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • erlehmkuhle
    Options
    Try and stay close to the 1400 calories. Do not compete with your added exercise calories. It will slow your progress down. If you only get in around 1200 calories, I would not sweat it too much, however stay above 1000 eaten.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kerri. You did what I was too lazy to do.:laugh:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Try keeping/packing easy snacks to eat when you can. Driving is a perfect time to be able to eat a banana, fiber one bar, string cheese, grapes, crackers, etc. Try to be sure to get in some more calories by snacking.
  • dimplzz
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the responses already! You guys are wonderful! :flowerforyou:

I bought a bullet a few weeks back and used it almost everynight for a smoothie. I need to get that baby back out! Thanks for the reminder.

kerrilucko-thanks, I will take a look at that stuff right now. I have a Reebok HRM and that is where I have been at ever since I got it about a week and a half ago, as far as calories go.
  • dimplzz
    Options
    Wow there was about 10 more posts.....

I don't eat nearly enough fruit. I think that I will try to make a smoothie before work each morning and bring it with me on the road. It sure doesn't take long to throw one together.

I am such a picky eater and it makes it hard but I will be trying most of the things that everyone has mentioned!

Thanks sooo much everyone!

mmmm I am craving string cheese and grapes now!
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    Are you sure you're burning that many calories? Do you have a heart rate monitor telling you this? I'd find that out first, but that's just me. I like to know exactly what I'm burning and eating. I think you need to plan ahead and include snacks throughout the day: nuts, cheese sticks, fresh fruit (apple or banana, etc.), cottage cheese, non-fat plain yogurt and toss in some granola and a few slices of fruit, apple dipped in natural peanut butter. All of these in moderation, esp the nuts and pb. They're high-cal, but keep you full.
  • dimplzz
    Options
    Are you sure you're burning that many calories? Do you have a heart rate monitor telling you this? I'd find that out first, but that's just me. I like to know exactly what I'm burning and eating. I think you need to plan ahead and include snacks throughout the day: nuts, cheese sticks, fresh fruit (apple or banana, etc.), cottage cheese, non-fat plain yogurt and toss in some granola and a few slices of fruit, apple dipped in natural peanut butter. All of these in moderation, esp the nuts and pb. They're high-cal, but keep you full.

Yep, I got the Reebok one that was talked about a few weeks back. This one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/RBK-Reebok-Precision-Trainer-XT-Heart-Rate-Monitor-HR_W0QQitemZ280333545169QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item280333545169&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    A protein shake along with breakfast or after?
    A protein shake after dinner?

You will be good to go! I use soy, others use whey. See what feels right for your body! :smile:
  • dimplzz
    Options
    Oh and I have never had Hummus before. Where do I find it at the grocery store? Or should I make my own? Thank ya!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I think you have to listen to your body. I find if I have a high exercise day, I may feel slightly hungry that day, but no where near what my calories burn on paper would suggest. But the next day I feel extremely hungry. Yet that day I supposedly didn't "earn" that many calories.

I don't worry about it though. I'm not going to force myself to eat an extra 1200 calories one day even though I'm not hungry for them and then starve myself the next day because I didn't do any exercise. I balance it out. I've discovered that the effects of what we eat and how we move often doesn't show up on our body (or the scale) instantaneously.

This is why I look at a 2-3 day running average and work with that.