"Eating Clean"- Does it make a difference?

Options
This question came to mind earlier.

Calories are calories.. but all the "diets" are made up of particular nutrients. Which, obviously, we need. But what if I had a salad and then a candybar? But I'm within my caloric range? Will that impede my weight loss?

In general, I am a very very healthy eater. I'm always looking to improve my nutrition and overall health for now and beyond, which is more important to me than weight loss really. And my weight loss is REALLY slow, if non existant thus far.

So I have to ask, has anyone changed their calorie makeup (even if it's still, say, 1,400) to a "cleaner" selection and noticed weight benefits? Or is it strictly health benefits? Such as, adding protein, reducing particular carbs, reducing fruit, ect.

(I am a fruit HOUND. I probably eat at least 2 apples per day. Can't get enough!)

Replies

• tcpowell25
    Options
    When I eat clean I feel better. I switched to clean eating (organic etc.) due to my health.
  • chicklidell
    Options
    If you eat 1200 calories in smarties or lean chicken breast/veggies, you will lose weight, you will look and feel like crap, but you would lose weight, your body would suffer, hair loss, skintexture changes, general health, alertness, irritability..you get it! ;) but to answer your question, a calorie is a calorie.
  • kellehj
    Options
    It won't impede on your weight loss, unless you count indirectly (1200 calories of oreos will not keep you satisfied all day like 1200 calories of healthy food will), but it does pose a concern for your health, and your body composition.

For example, added sugar is stored as fat when it's not burned as energy right away, protein helps with lean and regular muscle building, too much sodium is bad for blood pressure and water retention, etc. Yes, a 300 pound person may loose weight if they follow a 1200 cal diet of oreos, but who is to say they'd look as good after loosing it than someone who ate real, clean food?

And if you're eating for energy to help your body, (most likely the natural way), you WILL most likely feel better, sleep better and look better! You might lose the same amount of "weight" but that's not the only thing that matters in this after all :)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    To me, cleaner means I can eat more amount of food for let's say a 2,000 total calorie total vs unclean. You can eat 2,000 calories with burgers, fries and huge coke vs 3 cleaner meals a day
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If it fits my macros and I like it, I'll eat it. This usually ends up relatively clean since it's not just about calories but about the balanced diet.

If I ate most my calories from sweets it'd be way too many carbs, not enough protein.
    If I ate mostly BK and McDonalds junk it'd be way too much fat and sodium.
    If I ate mainly ready meals I'd get too much sodium.

This way it balances it all out, I can have chocolate, I can have pizza, I can have ice cream, but in moderation.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss - no, it doesn't make a difference.

In terms of overall health benefits and reducing your risk of health problems now and later in life - maybe, but that is a completely different discussion (I would argue that yes, there is a difference and certainly a correlation between nutrition and disease).

In terms of how you feel and how it affects your mood - it really depends on each person. If I eat *kitten*, I feel like *kitten*. But I know that it's because I don't normally eat junk. Someone who eats it more often might not feel the same way.

In terms of the environmental effects (one that is rarely considered) - hell yes there is a difference.

I'm certainly not a perfect clean eater. And I don't like to get preachy on the subject, so do your own research and find out what works and feels good for you. :flowerforyou:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I try to eat "healthy-ish" but often eat processed food and have a good amount if "treats". It hasn't effected my weight loss.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite of most people here. The most important thing for me is sustainability. If i had to cut out all the nice food, and only eat green crap, I'd be healthier in the short term, but long term, once I've got sick of it and gained the weight back, I'd be more unhealthy. Most of my calories comes from "bad" food, but i now watch my cals, get my protein, exercise hard and often, as im sure my friends must get fed up of seeing every day :P, and I've never felt healthier!

Sure, if you want to be 100% healthy, then what you eat really matters. But if you just want to be healthier than you were, and feel a lot better generally, just watch those cals! :)
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself; yes it does make a difference. I really notice the difference the next day (digestive issues) when I don't eat "clean".
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    It makes a HUGE difference. HUGE!

I can think better when I eat better. I have more energy, my skin looks nice, my hair looks nice etc. I don't have stomach problems when I eat clean.. it's undeniable that we as humans are supposed to be eating clean.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Like most folks are saying, you can certainly lose weight in the short term eating only junk. But this can have negative effects on your metabolism.

I try to eat clean for a few reasons:
    -it makes me feel better
    -I know I'm getting the vitamins and nutrients I need without taking a multivitamin
    -even in thin people, high consumption of sugar and HFCS is linked with diabetes and other illnesses.

Sure, I eat chocolate now and then, once in a great while a burger or some pizza, but on a day-to-day basis, I really do strive to eat about 80% clean.
  • Johnny_Castle
    Options
    To those of you saying things like oh calories are calories it won't make a difference whether you eat crap like double cheeseburgers with fries all day or healthy food like grilled chicken breasts with salads and whole grains. Please answer this question: if it makes no difference, then why do professional bodybuilders or professional fitness models who depend on their bodies looking lean and muscular to pay their bills not eat pizza and pop all day? After all, calories are calories. Why do they go through the trouble of eating and preparing bad tasting healthy food when they can just go to Mcdonald's or Pizza Hut for the same number of calories?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    To those of you saying things like oh calories are calories it won't make a difference whether you eat crap like double cheeseburgers with fries all day or healthy food like grilled chicken breasts with salads and whole grains. Please answer this question: if it makes no difference, then why do professional bodybuilders or professional fitness models who depend on their bodies looking lean and muscular to pay their bills not eat pizza and pop all day? After all, calories are calories. Why do they go through the trouble of eating and preparing bad tasting healthy food when they can just go to Mcdonald's or Pizza Hut for the same number of calories?

As i said, if you want to be totally uber healthy, yes it matters. If you just want to be healthier in an easy, sustainable way, if doesn't. I'd rather feel 90% healthier eating what i want than be 100% healthy eating what i don't.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options

THIS^^^ A calorie is NOT a calorie.

What it all comes down to is getting the most "bang for your buck" Essientially. The less processing the food goes through the more nutrient dense it is. You will not CONTINUE to lose weight if you eat crap. The body naturally burns refined carbs first. WHY? Due to the fact that it is the fastest source of energy because there is nothing to it. In other words... the body does not have to work as hard to break it down and process it before it can use it.

Thus the saying... You can not out train a bad diet.

The point is to try to get more nutrient dense foods in your diet so that you don't have to eat as much but at the same time you are nurishing the body. My diet isn't perfect either but the three key things to maintaining a healthy body and weight are moderation, balance and variety so that the body gets everything it needs.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

I say because they need to closely watch their sodium and sugar intakes when they have to appear that lean. If one could eat burgers/fries and still stay under the calorie count, one would do fine in theory. But for me, I couldn't because that would only be allowing one meal vs 2 or 3 clean meals.

Let's say your limit is 2600 calories. Either you eat 3 good clean meals a day or a triple burger, a huge large fries and a supersized milk shake. Then down it with a huge coke. Same calorie count.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I really don't believe a calorie is a calorie.
    If you eat rubbish food, with little nutritional value, how do you expect to have glowing skin, lustrous hair, strong bones, repair wounds, fight off infections,, etc etc.
    Take the same amount of calories from a highly nutritious source and your body will do great things with it!
    Always choose clean food,
    always!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a big difference in water retention for me personally, especially after cutting processed carbs (white bread, pasta etc) and ready meals. I used to put on 3-5lbs daily now only 1 lb a day fluctuations.. monthlies used to be 6-10lbs!!! now 2-3 lbs going on and coming off much quicker!

I now mainly eat oats or rice krispies for breakfast or fruit.

lunch is salad occasionally with a GF pitta bread to make a healthy kebab or occasionally eggs on toast (also Gluten free bread) .. bread not more than twice a week, usually once. sometimes any left over homemade soup or stew from day before.

dinner is mainly white meat or fish, once a week may have red meat.. I like lamb but not a big fan of beef anyway... usually save it for sunday to have a lamb chop with sunday dinner i also allow a mini yorkie pud on sunday.. which is only item I have with white flour. (thats not wheat gluten free)

I get my food shop online so its easy to add my 'healthy shop' to basket and just get it delievered without been distracted about whats on special offer as I go around the supermarket, I do treat myself to a gluten free choc brownie though when i get my shop every 2-3 weeks! .. and the occasional brandy and coke! :tongue:

I feel I have more energy not sure if thats the diet or the exercise as doing both. I don't eat out often but when we do my family loves carveries which is a yorkshire tradition so of course plenty of fresh veg, salad and meat to choose from, I usually treat myself to a couple of roast potatoes but don't have them at home... I'll be doing same xmas day.

I think it has made a difference for me and I plan to stick to this and its not just a diet anymore as I'm also enjoying the food. Yesterday for first time I tried coley fish fillet in oven baked in foil I added a little garlic butter and herbs had with green beans, instead of having mashed potato as I would before I steamed carrots and cauliflower and mashed them instead it was lovely!... and don't fel the need to have potatoes etc with everymeal now. Also whizz cauli in processer and use as rice/cous cous substitute.. i did this monday wtih home made chilli and corn tortilla's... much tastier than ready meals!!

My tummy has shrink loads too and I think thats from reduction of carbs as well as exercise lost 12" around largest part of tummy and no longer look pregnant!! .. weighed in at 10st 11 today (from 12st 7 in June) .. first time I been 10 st something for years! :happy:
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    For me it has made a difference.

Until a month or so ago my diet was terrible. Seriously bad. I made sure I ate fewer than 1000 calories a day and it almost all came from sugar free this, fat free that, diet/light/'insert-other-media-con-term -for-'healthy'-here the other! I was exhausted all day, had poor skin, was weak, shaky and over emotional and I wasn't even especially thin!

I've been eating clean for a month and now get nearly 1200 calories a day, cook proper meals in the evenings, eat around 100g of protein a day, am energised, happy and enjoy the gym so much more.

I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep one night a while ago because it was really cold so I made an options sugar free hot chocolate. It was my one slip up and I paid for it really badly - horrid stomach cramps and digestive 'issues' :p I think my stomach has certainly adapted to not take that **** any more.

Weight-wise, eating clean has made an interesting difference to me. My weight is in the lower middle end of the normal range. I don't know exactly what it is but I think my BMI is about 21. It has been like that, give or take half a stone or so for years. I don't think clean eating has realy changed my weight in any significant way.
    BUT - I'm starting to think I don't care what I weigh any more?! I feel and look happy and healthy and am starting to wonder if that's enough. Maybe I don't need to be the 99lb stick I have wanted to get back down to for so long!!

IF I decide that that's true for me and I'm going to focus on health alone then clean eating has done for me what a decade of counselling, anorexia, nutritionists, bulimia and angry/crying friends and family could not!

However - I eat masses of fruit and have a white potato most days so I may not be doing the official 'eat clean' diet But I am eating only clean foods.
  • uLinx
    uLinx Posts: 148
    Options
    Of course, it does make a difference. Everything we eat will "send a message" to our body, that will react differently to the different substances. In a way, food is information for your brain.
    For instance, if you eat carbs, your pancreas will produce insuline in order to assimilate it. Insuline also helps fat storage, so if you eat too many carbs you will also increase your fat storage.
    By eating, we send pieces of information to our brains, so it is important to eat healthy to be healthy and to lose weight more easly.