Getting Back into Running

Options
I was working on completing the Couch to 5k program when due to an injury and illness I have had to take 3 weeks off. I was only on week 4 when I had to stop. Should I start back at week 1 or start back where I was or somewhere in between?

Thanks for your input.

Replies

• BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'd say to try something in between and see how you feel. 3 weeks is a long time off but go with how your body feels.
  • DerpdyHerp
    Options
    What was your injury? That seems pretty relevant to where you should start or if you should even start.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    If you were out due to an injury and you're new to running, it won't hurt to start all over again or maybe at week 2. You weren't too far in so it's not going to set you back much, and you don't want to get injured again. Best of luck to you!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Just being a few weeks into this myself, I would start at week 1 and see how it feels. It can't hurt to build back up again..
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    What was your injury? That seems pretty relevant to where you should start or if you should even start.

I agree.
  • cheetahcub2010
    cheetahcub2010 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

I stubbed my pinky toe and lost some skin on it and part of the toe nail, not broken, just annoying mostly.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I am starting back on the C25K myself. I did it back in May or so and my hip locked up (I wasn't stretching well enough), so I wasn't sure where to start. I thought I would try 5 minutes walking and 5 minutes jogging. Instead I ended up doing a 5 minute warmup, 10 minutes jogging, 5 minutes walking and then 7 minutes jogging and 5 minutes walking. I had serious noodle legs afterwards. lol. I work out at the gym 5+ days a week and thought I was in pretty decent condition. Today I realized I wasn't. Ego buster for sure! LOL
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Start at week 1 and if that's too easy, move to week 2. If week 3 was really hard for you, start at week 1. Some people are fine to pick up right where they left off, just depends on your level of fitness when you quit.