Those with hypothyroidism

Options
How are you losing weight? How much protein, carbs, and fat are you eating? I was diagnosed in July and am having a hard time losing pounds. Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• yasemasuyo
    yasemasuyo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am staying on my meds, eating healthy and exercising - 40 pounds lost.
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    I'm having a hell of a time with this as well, and all my labs came back completely normal (had the blood work done Tuesday, got results today). Make sure you're having your TSH, T3 and T4 tested--TSH alone doesn't give you the full picture.

My weight fluctuates, so it's really hard to tell if I've actually lost any weight. I'm trying to stay under my daily limit on everything, and I'm also working out 4-5 times a week to see if that will help. It's really tough with hypo...good luck! I'm planning on seeing a regular endocrinologist soon (instead of just my GP) to see what else could be going on, since it's like my metabolism has hit a brick wall. Make sure your levels are good and that there isn't an underlying condition before you get too discouraged.
  • Shannon_Nicole83
    Shannon_Nicole83 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    At this point I'm just trying to eat healthy and keep active. I see my thyroid doc on Saturday, was going to ask him for pointers. Oh, and taking my meds. My appointment on Sat is to make sure I'm on the right dosage (I was diagnosed when 3 months pregnant).
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Give it time. If you were just diagnosed, it'll take a few weeks for the medication to make a difference in your body, and then you have to go back to the doctor regularly for blood tests until you get to the correct dosage. Are you taking synthroid or levothyroxin?

I was diagnosed about 7 years ago, and have been trying to lose weight the past half a year about. I have not had problems with it at all, so it really should be fine as long as you stay within your calories, take the medication, and don't eat too much tofu or soy, I hear that messes up your levels.
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I must be doing well, as the only thing I needed to do is taking my pill everyday, but I've been somewhat like a nightmare, and it's been nearly a week that I forgot to take it, and you know, those without medication become even worse at remembering things, so I keep forgetting, So I was losing weight steadily... but now I'm getting slightly chubbier again! need to get my Levothyroxin tablets back tomorrow!! I also gave birth 4 months and a half ago, so I'm not sure if it's my body shrinking back to normal due to breastfeeding or my 1200 diets I started on here after 5 weeks after birth. Now I added more calories as I reached plateau three or four weeks ago, and also I'm very near to my goal so it's unrealistic to try to lose 2lbs a week when you're only 4 lbs away from your goal. So I've added more calories :D. I've been on holidays recently and I haven't on more than 2lbs.. and to be honest I believe it's because I haven't been to the toilet lately. :D. But feel free to add me and watch my diary and amount of exercise I do to see if that helps you lose weight! :D
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm exercising like mad, for me. So far I'm not eating crap, No sugar or refined flour. Actually now that I think about it I haven't been doing wheat at all - hmmm. I wonder if that has anything to do with it for me? I am logging consistently and eating most of my exercise calories. I'm also taking my synthroid. The family is chomping at the bit for food so I have to go. good luck finding what works for you!
  • jazzijessica
    jazzijessica Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ok i really like the thyroid question but what is "BUMP" mean i see it everywhere? And i too have thyroid problem and would like any advice i can get
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    ok i really like the thyroid question but what is "BUMP" mean i see it everywhere? And i too have thyroid problem and would like any advice i can get

'Bump' is just a way to keep the topic at the top of the list, (when you have nothing to say) so more people will comment on it. Otherwise it drops into oblivion! :smile:
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    I was diagnosed 3 years ago and my weight has really yo-yo'd until the past year - I gained 60 lbs AFTER giving birth and it has stuck. I am set to have blood drawn again this week, but my doc has said repeatedly that I MUST exercise no matter how healthy I am eating.
    I personally find I need to limit sodium and steer completely clear of refined sugar and flour.
    I am starting out on an approach using more raw foods, I will let you know if it works.
  • penner3821
    penner3821 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1. I avoid goitrogens (cruciferous veggies, peaches, peanuts, soy, corn, etc.). I know that some people do not have a reaction and say that if these are cooked it reduces their goitogenic effect. I have just noticed that when I add them back to my diet I can't work out with the same intensity and my mood drops. I would cut them out for 6 weeks and then add them back in.

2. I tried Synthroid in the beginning, but switched to Amor Thyroid which I have been on for about 10 years now. It was a huge improvement and I will not switch back.

3. I take my meds early in the morning (no kidding) anytime between midnight and 3 am so that I avoid any food interactions.

Never hesitate to get a blood test when you are feeling worn down and don't just settle for TSH results - get free T4 results, and get the actual lab results so that you can start tracking it yourself. Just so you know, my doctor and I keep my TSH close to 1 which is much better for me than 3 which is an acceptable level for some. I also see an endocrinologist for treatment.

I also avoid saturated fats (including coconut which some people recommend) but eat Wholly Guacamole everyday and sometimes avocado. I don't eat any processed carbs (this includes whole grain flours), but I do eat a lot of carbs (60-70% of my diet) especially fruits and veggies and whole grains - I run about 6-12 miles a day so I need the glycogen :). I also eat lots of protein (100-120 grams a day, yeah, I lift weights, too) - all from lean sources (eggs, yogurt), and I find salmon and shellfish (which has selenium) works well for me. The only supplements I use are fish oil and chromium picolate.

If you decide to give this a try stick with it for 6 weeks.

Good luck and good work taking care of yourself.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I gained 85lbs in about 6 months due to my Hypothyroidism, and for YEARS I had doctors basically tell me that losing the weight would be next to impossible. I ate fast food, didn't exercise, and sulked around feeling helpless.

THEN, I actually started trying, for the first time, to lose weight. I eat 1200 (or less) calories a day -- lots of protein and fiber -- and do 1 hour of cardio 5 days a week. I've lost 53lbs this year. I still have 50+ to go, but I know I can do it.

I know that sometimes Hypothyroidism makes it REALLY hard to have the energy to work out, but the more you do it, the more energy you have.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I recently got diagnosed too with my pregnancy. I was gaining weight too fast & too much. I started on synthroid and I didn't like it. I felt funny with it after my morning dose. I didn't like the feeling but I kept taking it until I could get an appointment with a doc who will prescribe armour. I started armour about 1 month ago and now my weight gain slowed down a lot. From gaining almost 10 lbs a month, I'm now gaining 2 lbs a month. The 2 lbs a month weight gain is a little more healthier. I was constantly being told by my midwife to watch my portions, what are you eating?, etc. Uhh I was dreading the appointments. Now I'm feeling much better. After my pregnancy I can then start seriously on a weight loss plan and I'll see how well I can lose weight. For now the armour helped me more than the synthroid to feel better and to normalize my weight.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Over a year ago I started to take my pill at night when I go to bed. I was having a hard time getting to drink my coffee (at that time with creamer) and eat breakfast leaving enough time before or after to take my pill. Sometimes even forgetting to take it. Works out great for me taking it at bedtime now.
  • jazzijessica
    jazzijessica Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosed about 5 years ago and every year he ups my meds. I take levothyroxine. I feel like it does nothing, I am always tired and mood swings have gained about 50 lbs and just dont feel like me. I was wondering do i have to get my docotor to send me to the endo**** (forgot what that doc was called) or is this a doc I can just call and make myself an appt.
  • weather4000
    weather4000 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I make sure to take my meds everyday!!!!! Even just missing one day I start to feel sluggish again. I had a baby 10 1/2 months ago and was diagnosed 9 1/2 months ago. It was a severe struggle but after a couple months on the meds my body just started to lose weight again.......even with all the labs normal. Give it some time. I was stalled for about 6 months......no matter what I did or how hard I tried I just couldn't lose a single pound.
  • kristiellyn13
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 8 months ago. It has been very difficult to lose the weight. And it's a longggg process to determine the right doage of meds. One of my major complaints is that not only have a gained weight but I am extremley swollen. Especially my ankles feet and my face is really puffy along with NO energy.
    I have noticed a huge difference from 1) taking my synthoid in the morning on an empty stomach 2) I take a supplement by MegaFoods called Thyroid Strength. This should be taken on an empty stomach too so I usually take it before I go to bed. 3) I can't always do it... but exercise is the morning seems to be much more productive 4) I try to stay away from any refined sugars or white bread... i noticed the next day after eating these my face swells. 5) Avoid soy!! And it's in everything... so I really have to look at labels. Soy can slow the thyroid down. and 6) positive attitude. I was told by My Doc. that it would be nearly impossible to lose the weight. I didn't realize how much this messed with me mentally... I had to change my attitude and remind myself that I am in control and it is possible.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    Kristiellyn13, you may also be sodium sensitive. If I eat more than 800 mg of sodium/day I swell up.
  • mkath4
    mkath4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was diagnoised with hypothyroidism when I was 18. I am 43 now. I had not gained weight in the past, but have the last year or so. I do know though, that I am eating too much at night and think that is a big part of it. Just be sure to take your pill every day. If you still feel sluggish, tired, etc., get more bloodwork done. (My 10 year old was just diagnoised as well. Very underactive thyroid, but he is a very active boy and slender).
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I was born with it (congenital Hypothyroidism) though I never had problems as a child with my weight when I was an active child/young person.

Once I started with mobility problems and also having problems converting T4-T3 in early 30's I started piling on weight. Highest I reached was 16st but then as result of complications I developed a neurological disorder which involves involuntary muscle movement and co-ordination problems so everything took more physical effort (resulting in higher calories been burnt just for simple tasks) so my weight did drop down to 11st 7.

It went up to 12st 7 and I was stuck there for a year, eventually this June I decided i had to try and lose weight and get fitter as I could barely sit for an hour in wheelchair without severe back pain as all my weight was around my middle, I struggled to use crutches for a few steps and a simple night out for few hours for my birthday left me exhausted and took me a week to recover from.

so I set about trying to lose weight which wasn't easy to begin with as I could barely exercise enough to start burning fat, took first 4 months just to lose 9lbs then someone mentioned to me a link between low thyroid and wheat intolerance and many people with hypothyroidsim doing better on a low carb diet to lose weight. so out of desperation I tried it and dropped 7lbs in the first week, 3-4 lbs in second and its been coming off steadily since.

My goal was to try and reach 11st by xmas (21lb) loss but I just exceeded that this week about 5 weeks early as at weigh-in today I was 10st 11! :happy: .. I'm now trying to reach 10st 7 for xmas which will take me to the top end of healthy range for my height.

Basically I switched to gluten free bread so can have bread 1/2 times a week only, sweet potatoes once a week all other carbs replaced with veg for meals... one treat meal a week... just hit 25lbs lost so I'm thrilled with that! my back is stronger, less pain levels and hoping to enjoy my first afternoon out for a year lunch out and xmas shopping next week!! :laugh: