Help me improve running time!

Options
Hey, I play rugby and this year we are short on numbers. So I want to be able to step up my game and be able to play through the whole game. I used to be able to do this but after a year or two off... yea. I would also like to move up to a more aggressive position.

Right now I can only sprint 5 min at a time, but I can happily jog/run-ish for the 35 min half. What do you guys suggest I should do, or how to set up a new work out scheduled to be able to actually run for 70 min straight by the new year?

Replies

• DerpdyHerp
    Options
    Your goals are a bit mutually exclusive. Sprinting and endurance running are two different things. Training for one can detract from the other. That doesn't mean you cannot improve at both. It's probably more beneficial that you can last the duration of the game. So you might consider having a training plan where you run for distance twice a week and do sprints or some other HIit style workout once per week.
  • CookieRehab
    CookieRehab Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh, I didn't know that. I thought it was just running lol. Thank you for the tips Bill.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    What position do you play (or want to play )? Training for a back vs. a forward can be a little different, but Bill is correct - sprinting vs. distance/endurance running are different things. I didn't know any better last year and was endurance training, when I needed to be power/power-endurance training to be a packie.

Here is a good reference I found over the summer:
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/rugby/trainingneeds.htm
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Could you see if your coach could spend some extra time with you after practice, in order to give you training tips & specific drills to do that would aid your rugby skills?

I'm no professional, but I would think that incorporating plyometrics into your training routines would up your game dramatically. Also, some interval training may aid with the sprints that are required in the game, as well as a touch of yoga/pilates for flexibility, balance, agility AND injury prevention.