I am having a difficult time sticking to the calories

Options
I'll admit, I'm 50, and I don't want to give up having a few glasses of wine or beer. This is making it hard for me to stick to a measly 1200 calories a day. Any help out there?

Replies

• irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If you exercise, you get more calories! :-)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    set your weight loss goal lower + exercise calories = lots of yummy goodness for you.

so if you're set to 2lb/week right now drop it to 1lb or even .5lbs.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    tis true. exercise so you can have your wine.
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    Log your entire day first thing! I really helps
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    working out daily will give you more calories, you could also make "lite" versions of your meals or whatever it is you want to eat, and be sure to drink enough water.
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Making lifestyle changes are tough!!!

My nemesis is chocolate...so I have just worked it in to each and every day. I save it for the end, and only if I have room :)

1200 calories is tough - you can up it by:
    - exercising (and then eating / drinking back those calories...perhaps you will be more likely to go for a brisk walk if there is a glass of wine waiting for you at the end of it??)
    - up your calorie allotment - you can either change your goal (to 1/2 lb per week, lets say) or you can manually just add an extra 100 or so. Try it for a few weeks, and if you aren't seeing any progress, then make another adjustment. The great thing about this site is that you can adapt it to what you need, and if it doesn't work, you can change it back!

Hope this helps...good luck!
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Making lifestyle changes are tough!!!

My nemesis is chocolate...so I have just worked it in to each and every day. I save it for the end, and only if I have room :)

1200 calories is tough - you can up it by:
    - exercising (and then eating / drinking back those calories...perhaps you will be more likely to go for a brisk walk if there is a glass of wine waiting for you at the end of it??)
    - up your calorie allotment - you can either change your goal (to 1/2 lb per week, lets say) or you can manually just add an extra 100 or so. Try it for a few weeks, and if you aren't seeing any progress, then make another adjustment. The great thing about this site is that you can adapt it to what you need, and if it doesn't work, you can change it back!

Hope this helps...good luck!
  • kantone999
    Options
    Well, if you just want the taste of wine and don't really care about getting tipsy, alcohol free wines have up to 75% fewer calories. You can heat your own favorite GENTLY which evaporates some of the alcohol. It's not a bad idea anyway--alcohol is associated with a higher risk of breast cancer.
  • lawson305
    Options
    Try switching to a lighter beer, or wait till Happy Hour on Friday and enjoy your favorites. Try to cut back where you can on other calories (ie coffee creamer, bread, etc). My biggest success with weight loss has come the week after a "splurge"
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Rum and diet coke is only 60 calories! Two or three does the job for me :'}
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'll admit that I do have a cocktail or 2 almost everynight (I'm 53). so two things to think about....you must exercise so you can have those as part of your calories and still ge enough nutrition from real food!

And second, with only 20 pounds to lose, your calorie goal maybe a tad low at just 1200 cals. That is all I had to lose as well and after researching the site extensively, I found that dropping cals too low would hinder a small time loser like me.

Set your loss goal at 1/2 to 1 pound per week and see if that gives you more calories to work with and yeah - exercise to earn a few more!

Best of Luck!
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    That is the hardest thing for me too. I have not had a drink in 2 weeks so this Saturday I am going to get good and drunk. I deserve it as I have been at or (usually) under my calories each day. Can't wait !!!
  • tifftaffy
    tifftaffy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you feel the craving to have that glass of wine, just do an extra 30 minutes of exercise?
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i agree. exercise= more calories :)) works for me. I CANNOT go back to eating 1200 a day! I eat 1700-2000 a day now . I typically burn 600-800 cal a day with exercise :))
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Well, if you just want the taste of wine and don't really care about getting tipsy, alcohol free wines have up to 75% fewer calories. You can heat your own favorite GENTLY which evaporates some of the alcohol. It's not a bad idea anyway--alcohol is associated with a higher risk of breast cancer.

reported you for suggesting someone drink alcohol free wine. that is the worst thing i've ever heard in my life. i award you no points, and my god have mercy on your soul.

ps, i'm joking. please don't tell on me.
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options

reported you for suggesting someone drink alcohol free wine. that is the worst thing i've ever heard in my life. i award you no points, and my god have mercy on your soul.

ps, i'm joking. please don't tell on me.

:laugh: Whats the point of having wine if you cant have the alcohol?
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    1200 calories really isn't enough for most people. What happens with a low calorie diet is -- yes, you lose weight. But, you can't and won't stay on the low calories the rest of you life and the weight goes back on. The key is to learn to eat the right amount and right type of food daily without counting calories. A person can cut out perhaps one or two servings and lose weight. People generally gain weight because they simply eat too much. They stuff themselves rather than stopping when full. I say have your wine. Eat healthy foods in adequate amounts. Don't stuff yourself. Exercise. And you'll lose weight. When people deprive themselves, they'll eventually make it up by making a pig of themselves and gaining back all the weight plus some.

Just my opinion based on scientific studies.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Some good points below, try setting your calories a bit higher and doing a bit of exercise. I've gone to one small glass of wine most nights (100 mls) and that's not too bad for the calories.

Make sure you're drinking heaps of water so you're not drinking alcohol 'cos you're thirsty. I usually have a bottle of sparkling water (I like it) on the table and have a big drink before and after the wine.

What about something like low cal 'lemon, lime n bitters' in a wine glass?

Also, eat heaps of protein and complex carbs and fruit n veg and snack regularly to keep yourself full.

Good luck on your journey!