Zumba and 30 day shred question

Options
I'm new to MFP and am just starting on my weight loss journey. There is a gym 2 blocks from my house and they have a Zumba class, is this something that a lot of you would recommend? Also, is the 30 day shred program something I should invest in? It seems to be fairly popular with others on this site, just curious if it's worth it.

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    zumba is fun because you don't feel so much like you are working out. they usually last an hour and you can burn quite a few calories dancing around with your classmates. give it a try and see if you enjoy it :)
  • ShortayBaybay
    Options
    A lot of people LOVE Zumba, I have tried Zumba three times now, and personally I don't care much for it. I am doing the 30 Day Shred for the second time now, the first time I did it for 7 days straight, and then had some stuff come up and had to stop, and just started it back up three days ago, and I LOVE it, the first time I got pretty good results in just seven days. I would recommend it to anyone!!! :-) Those are just my opinions though!!

Welcome to MFP:-) Feel free to add me if you have anymore questions or need some support/motivation!
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The begining of my journey I did Zumba and LOVE LOVE LOVED it!!! So much fun!!!! I am doing the 30DS and love it as well so yes to both!!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    as for the 30 day shred, it is cheap and short which are its best qualities.

to me, though, it is boring. I cannot do the same routine each day.

Also, it seems to aggravate my knees tremendously, where as I have no trouble with my knees my entire life until I tried this dvd.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    30DS is a good workout, but it is pretty short, only 21 minutes (not including warm up and cool down) and I just learned that JM recommends it to be done 3-4 times per week combined with other cardio, so you could do zumba mixed in with 30DS. My disc was only $10 at Walmart so the 30DS is pretty affordable and you only need handweights.
  • SuperSnoopy
    SuperSnoopy Posts: 3,464 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I have just purchased the 30day shred dvd and it looks great. Not easy mind you but will certinally give results if you follow it. My wife is just starting it and she is aching a bit from using muscles she didn't know she had!

Zumba looks great fun and I think you should try it out. I hav'nt yet but do like the look of it. I think it would take a lot of learning all the moves.
    Well thats my views anyway.

Feel free to add me as a freind if you would like some support and encouragement on your journey with MFP.

Welcome and good luck from Nottingham England

Byeeeee
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a lot of fun and burns massive calories. Definitely something you should try - and don't feel discouraged if you can't keep up, I look like a fish out of water in Zumba, all flopping around and barely in time with the music, but it's still fun!

The 30 Day Shred is worth the investment, but you can also get a copy from your library probably, or look online - I think Level 1 is posted on YouTube. It doesn't help you lose as much weight, but it's great for losing inches and building strength. I just finished the 30DS and lost only 7 pounds, but 12 inches.

So, yes to both! Have fun!
  • lauraisneat
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of the 30DS and I love it so far. I like that it is a quick workout but you still feel it. I'm excited to see how I will look after the whole 30 days.

I have done Zumba on the wii and I like it alright. It's definitely fun so you don't feel like you are working out really but you still sweat a lot. I'm really bad at dancing so that is probably why I don't like it as much as others.

But you should definitely try both and see what works best for you! Good luck!
  • MatildaBlinds
    Options
    Zumba is fun and you don't feel like you are working out. Trust me you will see the pounds come off. I did it and lost 10 pounds the first month and 1/2. You burn more calories in Zumba in one hour than running 3 miles in 30 minutes.
  • MatildaBlinds
    Options
    Zumba is fun and you don't feel like you are working out. Trust me you will see the pounds come off. I did it and lost 10 pounds the first month and 1/2. You burn more calories in Zumba in one hour than running 3 miles in 30 minutes.
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I totally recommend zumba. I LOVE it! Burns tons of calories and it's a lot of fun! I have used the 30DS and I find I get bored with it easily. It's a great workout but I can't do it for more than a few days at a time. Acutally, I haven't done it in a while my friend now has my DVD.

Try out a zumba class. =) It has helped me lose 63 lbs! I get bored easily with workouts but I can do zumba a lot! =)
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    I love them both!

If you're taking a Zumba class, you should check online for the basic moves or maybe you can try a beginner class. It's super fun and makes me feel like a teenager again.

I also love Jillian Michaels DVDS. I do the 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, and 6 Week 6 pack. They have completely transformed my body. She can get a bit aggrivating, but I've been doing them since June so I pretty well know what to do. I mute her and listen to some fun tunes.

Good luck!
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba at home sometimes and it's fun; I'm pretty sure in a class with others it would be awesome. The 30DS does have good results but I can't do it personally. Jillian annoys me and makes me not want to do anything but turn her off LOL!! But lots of people can overlook her and do the workout. It'll kick your butt!
    Good luck on your weight loss!
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    I just started 30DS and do it every other day, working some sort of cardio in on the off days. I could barely walk after the first day! LOL Love it :o)
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba on my PS3 and I absolutely love it! Especially now that it's getting cold outside, it really heats things up and I don't have to leave the house. Happy Fun Times!

I tried the 30 day shred too. It's cheap, like ten bucks, but it is very boring. If you do it, be careful and don't let Jillian bully you into injuring yourself. Lots of people seemed to get injured with 30DS. I threw my back out and could barely move for 2 weeks - and I was being very careful! I don't know what happened, but my body did not like her style.

But you gotta find what works for you, so try them both out. If you have Netflix they have quite a few choices for workouts there too.
  • blueeyes25s
    blueeyes25s Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just started started both actually. I am hoping to see results from the 30DS but definitely not my favorite type of workout. Zumba is very fast place and I am so lost but it is sooo much fun. I have taken 2 classes so far and plan to continue!
  • tamarawisniewski
    tamarawisniewski Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The 30 Day Shred is a good workout if you can get past Jillian's talking... I think Level 2 is much better than Level 1. Another great series is The Studio by Ellen Barrett dvd's. Have you tried the Biggest Loser's Boot Camp dvd?
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    love zumba!! Haven't tried 30ds!
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    love zumba!! Haven't tried 30ds!
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I bought the 30 Day Shred (Amazon - $7.99), but I haven't rec'd it yet. I have however, gotten addicted to ZUMBA! I got my sister-in-law and niece to go with me, and we have a ball! As you get to know the routines, you will be able to do them with more intensity, and therefore burn a TON of calories! I use a Bodymedia arm band, and have noticed that I have burned as little as 500 calories in a class (new instructor, don't know any routines, etc.), and have burned as many as 640 calories in a 1 hour class! And it's WAY more fun then an elliptical or treadmill, where you are just watching the minutes click by. The hour flies by!

I hope you try it! Good luck to you!